It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Truth: Toxic Rain Reality Check Testing

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Sorry I am so late to this thread!!!

I have rain samples from several days June 30 through July 2nd. I can concur with Clouds. My samples are from Tallahassee. They were caught in a clean pitcher from falling water only. No roof shingles or road grime, just rainwater.

I started collecting samples, because I started to see an oily residue on the water in my ditch. I have never seen it like that in the 2 years I have lived at this house, but we all know that runoff from roads can cause this, so I wasn't convinced it was from oily rain. I decided to take samples.

Now my first couple of samples looked very clear, and smelled and tasted fine. (Yes, i tasted it.)

The sample from July 2nd was different. It was pale yellow, had more small particulates in it, and it has a certain taste to it. Also, on that day my pool became very cloudy and filmy.

The July 2nd rain was directly off the Gulf, whereas the rain from the days before had come from a frontal system moving North to South over the area.

There is something to this. It is a wonderful experiment, and there is really no valid argument about whether or not oil and corexit will get into the rain, the only argument is "how much" will get into the rain.

Star and Flag and Water Samples from me!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

well im in southern michigan and i would be happy to participate in this. i know being so far north may not be a big help, but maybe it could show a progression or a base for what we may be viewing as "bad" - if anyone wants me to do this send me a U2U as its hard to fid replies in large threads sometimes. much love and respect to all you ATS members taking the step and doing what needs to be done!!!

*Edit to add - im not sure when it will rain next but i will set a small container outside where it will just be pure rain water and not from dripping from a roof or other objects. I know I know, im in michigan, its way up north, but i wanna know if anything is traveling quckly up north, it has been about 80 days since the leak started. better safe than sorry....

[edit on 6-7-2010 by ziggyproductions05]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
In the midst of all this unwarranted enviro-hysteria, has anyone stopped to consider that the volcano Eyjafjallajokull in Iceland pumped so much ash high into the atmosphere in April that it grounded European air traffic for damned near two weeks?

Fine volcanic ash can remain suspended in the atmosphere for up to a year or more, can even change Earth climate dramatically.

Chances are that you're seeing volcanic ash from Iceland, widely distributed in the Northern hemisphere and falling with normal precipitation.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
all this unwarranted enviro-hysteria...

"unwarranted enviro-hysteria"

Dude, 1/3 of the Gulf of Mexico is covered in a film of Petroleum and a couple million gallons of a toxic chemical dispersant along with the 'most vigorous methane release' in the history of our species. Unwarranted is hardly the word I'd use to describe the public's reaction to what is probably largest environmental disaster of our time. 100,000 barrels a day is still spewing out of this rupture, and you've got the gall to call it hysteria? People are taking it pretty well considering they should be storming BP's HQ and hanging people IMO. Your apathy is far more alarming frankly.

...Chances are that you're seeing volcanic ash from Iceland, widely distributed in the Northern hemisphere and falling with normal precipitation.

Why do think the OP is having the samples tested? If it were due to volcanic ash, do you think it would show up in the Gulf Reigon first?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Dude, 1/3 of the Gulf of Mexico is covered in a film of Petroleum and a couple million gallons of a toxic chemical dispersant along with the 'most vigorous methane release' in the history of our species.

Really... Here's a satellite photo from NASA showing the current extent of the oil that has actually reached the surface from a mile down. The oil on the surface is enhanced as RED...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95c5be1b0bcf.jpg[/atsimg]

I've taken the NASA satellite photo and matched it to a satellite photo of the entire Gulf of Mexico, to give you an idea of the extent of the oil slick relative to the entire area of the Gulf.

Hate to burst your oil slick bubble, but 1/3 of the Gulf is NOT covered in oil. That's more of the hysterical propaganda. The very first tar balls were sighted in far east Texas waters today. The very first oil reached Mississippi beaches just last week. Spotters on the ground in Florida claim they haven't seen any oil on the beaches nor in the water, in spite of "official statements" about oil threatening Florida beaches.

You've been suckered. It's not an "environmental disaster" as the mainstream media has sold it.

As for the "most vigorous methane release in the history of our species," I think that's a flat-out lie. There's evidence of truly massive thaws of frozen Methane in the waters off Scandinavia — the European methane releases dwarf this minor leak in the Gulf of Mexico to insignificance.

Sorry, there are no extinction-level side effects associated with even massive Methane releases. Show me where a natural Methane release has killed anything... I want to know on what precedent you're basing this hysterical fear-mongering.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/7/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Spotters on the ground in Florida claim they haven't seen any oil on the beaches nor in the water

Ah ok.

There for a minute I thought maybe you were trying to be credible. From Texas to Florida is a little larger than your little red lines, I suggest you take a good look at the image you posted, find Texas, Alabama, Missisippi, then find Florida, and then perhaps reevaluate things in the knowledge that all these states are now getting oil from this event.
No Oil in Florida huh? Do you think maybe BP will just write me a 1.9 Million Dollar check then?
Is it Apathy, or delusion?

It's not an "environmental disaster"

Oh boy, sure. What would you call it then, beach lube? Pellican Waterproofing? Surf Enhancement? A little Oopsie in the Gulf? A Spill?

As to your Methane edit...

Sorry, there are no extinction-level side effects associated with even massive Methane releases. Show me where a natural Methane release has killed anything... I want to know on what precedent you're basing this hysterical fear-mongering.

It depends on what planet you're from I guess, but here on Earth, Methane is dangerous...
Methane Thought To Be Responsible For Mass Extinction
Methane prime suspect for greatest mass extinction
Clathrate gun hypothesis
Methane eruption blamed for mass extinction
Could Frozen Methane Cause Another Mass Extinction?
You didn't tink they were worried about global warming because of some glaciers did you?

These naysayers man, we got Doc here telling us it isn't an environmental disaster, just a little oil there next to Louisiana. Everything's alright.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by twitchy]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
So many people that downplay the severity of this disaster never talk about the possibility that we may not be able to stop the leak. That is a huge possibility - IMO. However, I do think we will be able to stop it. Man will eventually solve the problem. The longer it takes the more damaging the effects and the longer it will take to recover to it's original condition.

I just believe we will be able to stop the leak. But it could take a long time.

I imagine the people living in the hardest hit areas consider this a life changing event - and not for the better. And I'm talking about a lot of people.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Chances are that you're seeing volcanic ash from Iceland, widely distributed in the Northern hemisphere and falling with normal precipitation.

— Doc Velocity

I laughed.

I live in Denmark and no I don't see volcano ash falling with normal precipatation. Jeesh, how long were you without oxygen.

But I see your point, if ash from Iceland can rain down in the states, surely millions of gallons of deadly crap only 200-500 miles away being burned/vaporated can't rain down.

That's BP logic at it's finest.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I live @ 60 miles from the Texas coast (upper Texas coast - Matagorda) and we have had a lot of rain lately. I haven't seen anything unusual - as of yet - but I am on the lookout. We have a lot more rain coming this afternoon and possibly this weekend. I am observing and will report anything I find worth reporting. Good thread. Way to be proactive and not just reactive!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by christine76

Christine, please collect samples from your area. Its the only way we will be able to learn the truth to the matter. There are a couple threads already here on ATS reporting that water samples are contaminated...........due to the corexit.

But we need to know if its mixing with the gulf moisture..........

So please take a few samples if you can. This thread will be updated today concerning what to do next. We are finalizing a few things with the lab this morning that will move this project forward into "HIGH" gear.....

Stay posted.........more to come!!

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Thank you Clouds, Hx3 and Paxnatus. You all are really stepping up to the task. Something is happening in our air and falling with the rain, be it chemicals from the Gulf or ash from a volcano, it's refreshing that answers are being sought.

I live in the Tennessee Valley and would be more than happy to collect samples for you. We are expected to get a cold front thru this weekend. East TN weather is so hit & miss, I can't say we will get any rain, but if we do I'll get samples in case you want them.

Let me give this disclaimer tho, we have been under air quality advisories for weeks now, (This is not uncommon during summer months.) so our air isn't exactly "clean & fresh" to begin with. We have lots of industry here not to mention Oak Ridge National Laboratories. As the crow flies I live less than 6 miles from the old K25 site, now called East Tennessee Technology Park.

Just consider the disclaimer and let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks again for the work you are doing.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Here is a link set up by Hx that we use to monitor the weather paterns if you do not have one.........

realitycheck.no-ip.info...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Thank you! I have bookmarked the page and the location page.

The work you all are doing just trying to find some truth is very commendable!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Mercenary, you are correct, and that is all the more reason for the water testing.

I have never seen oil in my ditch or my birdbath before, but maybe a neighbor got a new oil leak, I dunno? So, I take samples of the falling rainwater to rule out all other contaminations, and then I will know for sure.

I have seen foamy water in gutters and ditches before, so it could have a mundane explanation, but we also have a significantly serious situation in the Gulf that could be related, so let's all coordinate with Clouds, lets collect the samples for the next month or so, and lets get to the bottom of it.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I was planning on testing rain water any way the next time we get a storm coming from the Gulf. Right now the problem is not enough rain period. I am not sure of the straight line distance to the Gulf. I would guess about 300 - 350 crow fly, statute miles at nearest point. I do have professional experience in water quality monitoring, but no lab access currently.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ttatw

Your expertise will be appreciated..........which state do you live in? I know its dry for some areas, but the potential for a new depression forming has moved to 50% as of 2:00 today…………And it looks like it may be taking the same path as Alex and that system brought a lot of gulf moisture inland with the counter-clock wise rotation......

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I wanted to give everyone an update this morning.

It is one thing to test a water sample. It’s another to test a water sample to see if Corexit is present.

You can test a water sample in most labs and obtain results that the water sample is toxic due to certain compounds being present. This is exactly the case with the James Fox water testing video that is floating here on ATS and other forums. The test performed by that lab could only recognize a compound that was very high at a toxic level. But the test performed by this lab did not have the capability to test and accurately say its corexit.

Now is the water toxic “yes”. But we need to be 100% sure from our testing that it is corexit that’s causing the toxicity To get a 100% confirmation a certain type of test must be performed that most labs cannot perform due to equipment.

We did finalize setting up the testing with the lab. But we ran into one problem and that is the price they charge per sample. The price is 10x times higher than a standard water test.

I was willing to absorb the cost thinking that the price would be no more than $50.00 per sample on the high end. Unfortunately that is not the case with this lab.

I want this project to be cost free for those who send in samples. So we are looking into some avenues to make this possible. The lab is sending containers and Paxnatus will go into more details of the testing parameters if we choose to use this lab.

Now the Good News!!

Last night we were banging our heads against the wall attempting to figure out how to make this project launch from a financial perspective. Making a long story short, we did learn of a University that has the same type of testing equipment needed to perform the test.

To make it even better Paxnatus has a connection to someone in the lab. Phone calls are being made in this direction today.

This is where we stand. A few bumps in the road but we will figure out a way to eliminate the financial burden for those who collect samples.

Hopefully Paxnatus can give us a “good news” update later today……….

Meanwhile we have a new depression or at least a system that could bring moisture inland that will need to be tested………

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

So please take a few samples if you can. This thread will be updated today concerning what to do next. We are finalizing a few things with the lab this morning that will move this project forward into "HIGH" gear.....

Stay posted.........more to come!!

We have 70% chance of heavy rain and are under a flash flood watch here (edge of Piney Woods/east TX) today. I've set a clean pitcher out in the middle of an open area (no nearby trees, eaves, etc.) and have asked my friend who got sick from the rain a few days ago to do the same. Also have put out a white towel ~ i want to see if it turns brown like her shirt did. Our rain gauge is atop a post where nothing can interfere with it, so i've scoured it, too ~ last rainwater in it was a dk yellow/lt brown color.

Did i miss a post that provides info on how/where to send any samples?

That sour chemical-ish smell has been evident two more times; it's never overwhelming or constant - more like intermittent on the wind.

Thanks so much, Clouds, for getting this rolling.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Thanks for all the hard work and real investigative journalism that the ATS community is doing. This morning we here in Michigan are getting some rain from a front that has originated from Gulf moisture. Looking at the radar from this site:www.intellicast.com...

and you put the radar into animation you can easily see how the gulf moisture is being pushed up North. What I found alarming is that we are getting "suds" or white foam accumulating on our front porch and downspouts that looks like soap bubbles. So I went outside to further inspect for foam and sure enough the roads have the foam sitting in the water that has gathered on the road. I'm currently collecting a sample here in Southwest Lower Michigan in a clean glass container for observation. Stay vigilant on this experiment this may be the only heads up we will get on the dispersants or other toxins mixing with the rain water. Thanks again for all the work that has been put forth so far!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SeesFar

My last rain was that color, and it didn't have the smell, but it had a "bitter" taste to it.

Clouds....awesome work!! $50 per sample was ok for you? That could add up pretty fast?

I don't think we need to check specifically for Corexit, because they are using other dispersants as well. I think we only need to be concerned with the main ingredients of all the dispersants. Say sodiumlaurylsulfate (soap), and any astringents that are part of it. I will post the key ingredients in a few minutes.

We also need to be sure to test for benzene and other aromatics that are easily evaporated and/or vaporized out of the floating oil. I will post some of those items in a few minutes as well.

Great Work so far!!!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join