It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WE ARE EVACUATING - Gulf Shores, Alabama

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by truthdrug

I live in the same area. One thing my husband and I noticed yesterday was how bad ALL the trees look. They are so thin and unhealthy. My sycamore trees are so sad looking all the leaves are paper thin brittle and have holes in them. The air has been really dusty leaving a film on everything too. The last few rains have been "dirty rains". What I notice today is that despite this mornings rain all the greenery still looks wilted and dehydrated.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

You make me sick .... more than BP.

Listen till the end...

Listen to the test results .. and how they get the results presented to you.

96 hours.... EPA dead Line.

EPA Gives BP 24 Hours to Stop Dumping Toxic Chemical on Gulf Spill
by Brian Merchant, Brooklyn, New York on 05.20.10

www.treehugger.com...

Less 80%

He notes that the chemical was banned in Britain an entire decade (!) ago for being too toxic as well as only dubiously effective.

Here's an excerpt from his response to the Obama administration's decision to cut out Corexit:

"The tests used to measure the toxicity of dispersants involve only a 96-hour dose to the marine animals that will be exposed to them - clearly, their effects when they're used over longer periods might be significantly more damaging. The release of hundreds of thousands of gallons of chemicals into the Gulf of Mexico could be an unprecedented, large and aggressive experiment on our oceans. We must ensure that these chemicals, which are being touted as a way to mitigate the effects of the spill, first do no harm to marine life."

I thought it absolutely outrageous that a 96 hour test cycle was deemed adequate to commence dumping tens of thousands of experimental toxic chemicals into the Gulf. Kudos to Rep. Markey for hearing the very valid concerns of scientists and acting.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I realize the OP says that they are evacuating but I always have my doubts about hit and run thread makers.

This thread is an important one in the face of such a potentially dire situation, and with the announcements made in the Op such as he once worked for BP, a follow up is in order even if that means stopping at a local library branch in any US city to let us know this is not some hoax.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by antar]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Ya, but who are we to judge. The frame of mind the OP is posting is a common one either way. Doesnt matter who he used to work for. Even if it was BP. A lot of people did and still do.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara

I live in the same area. One thing my husband and I noticed yesterday was how bad ALL the trees look. They are so thin and unhealthy. My sycamore trees are so sad looking all the leaves are paper thin brittle and have holes in them. The air has been really dusty leaving a film on everything too. The last few rains have been "dirty rains". What I notice today is that despite this mornings rain all the greenery still looks wilted and dehydrated.

OMG!!! here in Missouri too! I thought just yesterday that after all the rain we have had everything should be bright and lusterous, but it looks wilted and suffering.

Neighbors are complaining about their lawns looking dry and dead! I never put it together , nor acknowledged it until I read your post.

We need a thread about reporting for such things.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Hopefully the Op does not take me as judging, but you know what I mean, and you have known me long enough my friend to realize I am most probably on the side of leaving if you can, but I try and remain neutral for those who just cant for what ever reason.

This is all going to come out soon anyway I am afraid to say.

Also you may try talking to your local extension office about your trees, thats pretty serious.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Poted this in another thread, but this looks ominous to me, water bubbling like acid? Wow... I'd leave too.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Oh I know you wouldnt. I just wanted to reassure the OP. You were not the only one to mention that.

I am thinking about taking pics of my trees and bushes and posting them on here. I have to admit I am not technologically savy enough to know how to get them from my iphone to here.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

It would seem to me that you are all wasting time just explaining this problem on here. If you really feel that your properties are looking unusually dry( Your not in a drought are you?) and has started since the BP incident, then I would be talking to the media and radio stations to get the word out.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

We are not wasting our time. People rarely look beyond their own issues to know that others are having the same issues. I noticed this spring that my trees just were not acting theirselves but we have had crazy weather. They seemed to be bouncing back well, but yesterday we noticed that all the leaves are thin and holey. Yesterday we noticed that all trees seeme to look like they have lost half their leaves. Today I noticed that my bushes are turning brown. AND today I see that I am not the only one having this problem. The news is who told me that the rain was a "dirty rain" and was leaving a powdery film on everything. Do I have solid proof that this is from the oil spill? no. Even if I did, do you think the media would be allowed to report it? Right now we are just realizing that this problem might not be limited to the gulf. Right now we are comparing stories all across the country. There is power in knowledge. With out it, no one will listen or take you seriously.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Originally posted by mrsdudara

OMG!!! here in Missouri too! I thought just yesterday that after all the rain we have had everything should be bright and lusterous, but it looks wilted and suffering.

Neighbors are complaining about their lawns looking dry and dead! I never put it together , nor acknowledged it until I read your post.

We need a thread about reporting for such things.

Aside from what it may be doing to plant life, what about the ground water, like in Drinking Water.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by Boomer1941]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Boomer1941

I bought a water filter and installed it yesterday.

The water tastes funny. Didnt realize how much so until After I had a glass of filtered. Dont know what that means though. Tastes like chlorine. Occasionally smells like....dont know how to describe it.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I still say that someone should try to be a little more proactive if they feel it is affecting the plants. that is a growing warning from "scientists" on this issue

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

What do you suggest? I am not a scientist.

At this point I am not sure if there is anything that could be done about it. What do you think would happen if everyone was told that all the plant life was going to die off due to the rains from this?

At this point I think no one really knows what is going to happen. SO, I will just deal with whatever cards I am delt, and hope that it does not kill off plant life.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by mrsdudara]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I live close to the beach and this is what bothers me. I'm getting old so no big deal, but the children.

en.wikipedia.org...

2-butoxyethanol -> Banned in GB, used by BP as a dispersant. Over a million gallons used so far.

Corexit

Butoxyethanol is also a major component (30-60% by weight) of Corexit 9527, an oil spill dispersant product.[3] In the United States, the primary manufacturers are Eastman Chemical, Dow Chemical and Equistar. Corexit 9527 is being used in conjunction with Corexit 9500 in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill disaster.

Human exposure

Moderate respiratory exposure to 2-butoxyethanol often results in irritation of mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and throat. Heavy exposure via respiratory, dermal or oral routes can lead to hypotension, metabolic acidosis, hemolysis, pulmonary edema and coma. Blood or urine concentrations of 2-butoxyethanol or its major toxic metabolite, 2-butoxyacetic acid, may be measured using chromatographic techniques to monitor worker exposure or to confirm a diagnosis of poisoning in hospitalized patients. A biological exposure index of 200 mg 2-butoxyacetic acid per g creatinine has been established in an end-of-shift urine specimen for exposed U.S. employees.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Good luck to you,.. Please keep the site updated as to the foliage issue.
We would like a honest view.
How close are you to the Gulf?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I live about 11 - 13 miles from Pensacola Beach. ( as the crow flies, not by looking at highways..) We have had a lot of rain, and I have a lovely green yard, and my trees look fine. I do not see any bad effects and have not noticed "dirty rain". I was driving in rain the other day and my wipers worked great. Not to say that other people might not have problems, but I do not see it in my neighborhood.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elienne
I live about 11 - 13 miles from Pensacola Beach. ( as the crow flies, not by looking at highways..) We have had a lot of rain, and I have a lovely green yard, and my trees look fine. I do not see any bad effects and have not noticed "dirty rain". I was driving in rain the other day and my wipers worked great. Not to say that other people might not have problems, but I do not see it in my neighborhood.

If you look at the weather patterns the Moisture coming off the gulf is going to the north. If you check out the past jet stream patterns You will see the moisture tends to be driven towards the central states from the point of the spill. It is my understanding, correct me if I am wrong, that corexit evaporates quickly in the warmer gulf waters

The gulfstream on the other hand will carry the oil to your shores.

The jetstream will vary, this is what kept alex from coming towards you, so keep an eye on it. If it shifts toward you and you start to see the same effects then that is one sign its in the rain.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by jlafleur02]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Researchers published a study which found oil stops the ocean’s natural filtering process of arsenic.

They said the arsenic then gets “magnified” up the food chain, as fish eat small amounts of the deadly poison and may eventually impact humans, researchers said.

Professor Mark Sephton said arsenic, which is found in seawater, was normally filtered out of the ocean when it combined with sediment on the sea floor.

“But oil spills stop the normal process because the oil combines with sediment and it leads to an accumulation of arsenic in the water over time," he said.

"Arsenic only needs to be a 10th of a part per billion to cause problems.”

He added: “Our study is a timely reminder that oil spills could create a toxic ticking time bomb, which could threaten the fabric of the marine ecosystem in the future.”

Prof Sephton called for a comprehensive mapping of arsenic levels around the world which would allow authorities to consider banning oil drilling in areas with dangerous levels of arsenic.

The findings were published this month in the journal Water Research.

www.heraldsun.com.au...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Originally posted by dragonsmusic

There is a massive oil spill which was caused by a leak. We have a leak and a spill, as the leak is causing oil to spill into the gulf. That should satisfy the linguistics of the matter.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f8ecbad3b7b5.png[/atsimg]

linguistics of the matter? words fail to provide us with appropriate terminology.

i live some distance away from this leaking spill.

i have only driven my car twice in over the last month. does this help? i dunno.

i wish there was someway of verbalizing or finding the words i seek to quantify or define this level of incompetence, but looking for the words...

Dear B.P.,
please pucker up,

this entire GulF Of Mex.. scratch that... this entire Gulf Of British Petroleum
almost exceeds the limits of my wildest imaginations' abilities to comprehend what would have to be going on...

if things get much worse, next thing we know the dead may be rising from their graves.

yep yep, dead rising from their graves, but surely such an obsurdity could never occur.....

this whole situation is making more than just the animal and plant life

thoughts things and stuff,
ET

plug a hole!

[edit on 4-7-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

So you just went into insane hysterics and told me to plug my hole for making an accurate linguistic distinction? I think you need to look at the context in which that was written and then take a look at your own hole.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join