It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death's Law Of Three - the Evidence...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
...is that there is not a heck of a lot of evidence for the validity of Death's Law Of Three. I make this conclusion after combing through my handy-dandy Dead People Server:
www.dpsinfo.com...

Now, I define a "celebrity death triad" as being 3 celebrities of comparable celebrity status who die within one week or less of each other. Based on this definition, the Law Of Three does not really hold water.

Granted, there have been instances of celebrity death triads:
March 27, 2002: Milton Berle, Dudley Moore, & Billy Wilder
June 11, 12, & 15 2003: David Brinkley, Gregory Peck, Hume Cronyn
July 1, 2, & 8 1991: Michael Landon, Lee Remick, James Franciscus

But more likely is The Law Of Two, where we have two beloved very famous celebrities who very often are related to each other either by industry, genre, or other similarity:
Jan 20 & 22 2003: Al Hirschfeld & Bill Maudlin, two famous cartoonists
Sept 11 & 12 2003: John Ritter & Johnny Cash (it's said that John's father Tex "discovered" Johnny)
July 1 & 2 1997: Robert Mitchum & James Stewart
Nov 29, Dec 2 1986: Cary Grant & Desi Arnaz
...but even in these more plentiful cases, I do feel like I'm stretching things a bit. There just isn't any set pattern.

There is also the case of longer-term celebrity triads, where 3 people of comparable fame, similiar field & status, and even age die within 1-2 years of each other, under such similar circumstances that they will always be "linked" by the public:
Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy, Malcolm X
Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison
Brandon Lee, River Pheonix, Kurt Cobain

So I feel that the Law Of Three is more of an Urban Legend. It is very popular--does anybody know how it got started?

I'm kinda let-down...I was sure I'd find a mystical pattern!

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Commendations on the research and findings.

Research reports should come in threes.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I fully believe this 'deaths in three' to be true. Also - airplane crashes happen in threes. It's just the way it is.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I personally have not looked into this much, but I wonder weather it is just part of our human nature to look for patterns in things.

I think the biggest law we can find here is that everyone dies lol.

I also wonder why there would be a law of threes or twos or whatever, I really don't see what purpose it would serve, save maybe to keep the media busy, which I doubt is very high up on the list for the greater powers that be. Otherwise local news wouldn't ever have stories about ducks crossing the road or those other things they do to fill time.

I think all this law of death shows is that people try to find meaning and reason in bad things, death being a major bad thing.

Ah well like I said I haven't really looked into this much, just thought I'd give my two cents.

Blessed Be
~Astral

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Wow, nice research!

I don't really believe in the "Law of Three" (although it is a good way to get famous people paranoid...).

new topics

top topics

join