It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watermelon Exploded on 4th of July!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I couldn't believe it waking up this am and finding what I thought was water all over the kitchen floor and on the dining room table and chairs.

I immediately looked up thinking a water leak had occured thru the roof since we have had a lot of rain lately, but the ceiling was not dripping or wet. I then thought maybe the refigerator had started leaking which they do sometimes when they are getting older or ready to go out of service, etc. but no water was in the immediate area of the refrigerator, so ruled that out. Then thought maybe a buried pipe under the flooring had burst, a rare event but anything is possible.

So I start looking around in more detail after wondering WTF was going on, and see that the watermelon which was sitting on the dining room table on its side, to the right of a box that was also on the table, was blown open. I look inside and everything on the interior of the watermelon is pulverized with no solid substance remaining, just like the consistency of apple sauce at the bottom. I then smelled the liquid that was being absorbed in the towels I had placed down and sure enought it smelled like watermelon. I had no idea however how much liquid was in one average size watermelon, until today.

So anyways I started wondering if this was some kind of health hazard ....it's not every day that you have a watermelon explode, and maybe I need to drop it by the health department for them to examine, so I placed it in a plastic garbage bag with a rubber band securing the neck of the bag.

And then of course being the curious type, (aren't most ATS members?) I started wondering what was in the watermelon that wanted to get out so badly????
that it exploded...... or maybe hatched.....
so definitely looked around in the immediate area but found nothing....although this really wasn't a serious thought in my mind, but like to cover all the bases you know........

So then I take the logical next step and go to the net to see if anyone has posted something similiar to this before, and found this:

www.amcgltd.com...

And was relieved to find out that I am not the only person who has ever had this happen.....whew.

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

[edit on 4-7-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
when watermelons explode, its gnarly.

one of the worst smells i have experienced.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

That makes sense that it would smell really bad, but for whatever
reason this one didn't.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
We should pass a law that says terrorists can only use watermelon bombs on the 4th of July.

Seriously.. what causes watermelons to explode?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I wondered that myself, until I read some of the comments in the
link posted originally: www.amcgltd.com...

"It is nice to know I'm not seeing things. I just had a watermelon explode as I started carving it. As soon as the knife cracked the skin the darn thing split open with enough force to spray watermelon flesh all over me and my kitchen, ceiling included. Thank goodness I foung this message board otherwise I might be looking into some psycho-therapy for myself. I never even heard of such a thing before today."
Posted by: Ed on July 26, 2003 08:56 PM

"You should have eaten the watermelon! It was fermented. This happens pretty frequently, especially when the fruit has been sitting in hot weather. The pressure of the fermentation process is what causes it to explode."
Posted by: Georgia on August 13, 2003 05:57 AM

[edit on 4-7-2010 by manta78]

top topics

join