It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri is Way Ahead of Arizona‏

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

First off, at the top is a thread that I created over a year ago. It has my proposed solution to immigration, including an "amnesty period" but not sweeping amnesty, and contingent first and foremost on securing the border. Read it for a little background on my opinion, and some insight into how us Missourians think!

Now, for today's topic, sorry but it is a viral email. I searched and it is not ATS, it is not on Snopes, but all the information checked out, including at least one of the Bills, and the campaigning Politician.

Here Goes:

Simple solutions to not so complex problems!

The "Show Me" state has once again showed us how it should be done. They need more publication and exposure on this.

In 2007, Missouri placed on the ballot a proposed constitutional amendment designating English as the Official language of Missouri . Nearly 90% voting in favor! English became the official language for ALL governmental proceeding in Missouri . It also means no individual has the right to demand government services in a language OTHER than English.

In 2008 a measure was passed that requires our Highway Patrol and other law enforcement officials to verify the immigration status of any person arrested, and inform federal authorities if the person is found to be here illegally. It allows Missouri law enforcement offices to receive training to enforce federal immigration laws. The bill makes it clear that illegal immigrants will NOT have access to taxpayers benefits such as food stamps and health care through Missouri HealthNET.

In 2009 a measure was passed that ensures Missouri 's public institutions of higher education do NOT award financial aid to individuals who are here illegally. The law also requires all post-secondary institutions of higher education to annually certify to the Missouri Dept. of Higher Education that they have NOT knowingly awarded financial aid to students who are unlawfully present in the United States .

Missouri has sent a clear message that illegal immigrants are NOT welcome in our state and they are certainly NOT welcome to receive public benefits at the cost of Missouri taxpayers!
Article in "The Ozarks Sentinel" Editorial Opinion - Nita Jane Ayres, May 13, 2010

www.electnitajaneayres.com...

community.myfoxhouston.com...

ozarkssentinel.com... =No

Now, I am all for immigration, if you read my other thread you will see many reasons why it is absolutely necessary. I also have had many illegal friends, and even had an opportunity once to make a lot of money driving illegals from TX/AZ/NM to FLorida. (I turned it down.)

I believe that we should help immigration by sreamlining the process, tracking and helping them meld better, and giving them clear instructions on what is expected of them once they are here.

Missouri's laws go a long way. Establish a uniform National Language. Lay out what law enforcements role and responsibility is. Lay out what Educational facilities and Healthcare facilities responsibilities are. Provide penalties for "aiding and abetting."

Then, on the flipside, streamline the immigration process, make it easier, put workshops across the border to help, provide an "amnesty period" where illegals can turn themselves in, go through the legal process and get documented. Provide ESL classes, and history classes, but demand some type of progress over time.

Above all, secure the border at all costs!! Border infringements should be considered acts of war. Not deportation, but severe criminal punishment if they survive at all. Keep a database of repeat offenders, and make the penalties unbelievably more severe for 2nd or 3rd offenses. If it is easy and beneficial to come across the legal way, then we can assume that the only ones doing it illegally are criminals and potential enemy combatants!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
S&F for you my man, I live in Missouri! I was not aware of this crack down on immigration but I certainly like my state more now!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
S&F for you my man, I live in Missouri! I was not aware of this crack down on immigration but I certainly like my state more now!

Fellow Missourian!

Actually I live in Tallahassee, Florida now, but I will always be a Missourian. I visit a few times per year. I was not aware of this stuff either, but a friend of mine in Missouri sent me the email, and when I checked it out, I found a bunch of links back to the story.

Missouri "usually" has a way of making common sense approaches to things. I am proud of that state as well!

(Plus, they just changed their CCW agreement with Florida, and now my permit is valid there without any exceptions. It used to be restricted a little bit, but now the laws are identical. And, most of the restaurants up there are now serving sweet tea! They didn't have that when I moved away in 1999.
)

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What part of Missouri did you live in? I'm familiar with pretty much the whole state, did you live in a city or?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Funny... I as well am from MO --- I just had to throw my 2 cents in to say that it is of some amusement to have mainly those from MO past or present responding to this thread. S & F for the info.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Born and raised in St. Joe. Go back to visit what family I have left every year or so. Apparently they haven't seen these "new" laws. Every packing plant in that town is packed with non-Missouri speaking people. At some convenient stores and restaurants, speaking non-Missouri is a benefit in placing a proper order or having a conversation.

Read the local paper and they even openly discuss the illegal population in St. Joseph stressing the schools and public services. So much for these laws having teeth...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Webb City, down in SW Missouri. Joplin is our "big" town about 5 miles away. Springfield about 60 miles away on I-44.

A lot of people recognize WC even though it is small, because we win all the state titles in Football, lol!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I live in KCK, and I tell ya, Kansas really needs a law like that. Seriously. Go to 10th and Central. You'd forget you were in the USA, and be wondering how you got to Mexico.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Choiseul
Funny... I as well am from MO --- I just had to throw my 2 cents in to say that it is of some amusement to have mainly those from MO past or present responding to this thread. S & F for the info.

Ya, that is interesting? I guess us Missourians see the word, and we have check it out.

I hope it gets more attention though, because people are so polarized about the AZ laaw, and it isn't new or novel or even that strict. Maybe this will open some eyes.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

yep, been to Joplin and Springfield, MANY times, I live in the Ozarks.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Ive heard talk the Missouri legislature is also introducing a bill to get rid of our property tax. Only thing holding us back right now.

Lived here my whole life, the thing that makes my mind spin is how such a messed up state like Illinois could be so close to us.
You need a permit to sneeze there.

I here alot of local personalities and what not still bash Missouri for putting in term limits for our state reps and senators but really it seems to have cleaned out some of the embedded politicians we had.

Only thing in last 10 years or so that has really been a stain on MO politics was the embryonic stem cell research stuff that allowed use of tax payer money. Media sold that one hook line an sinker.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SiKFury

Well to term limits I say
!!

To stem cell research, I say
as long as no children or babies are harmed by it then what is the problem. A lot of companies are making a lot of money by freezing placenta blood from newborns, because they know that someday all healthcare will come from helping our bodies heal themselves and stemcell reearch is necessary to get there.

Missouri is doing a pretty good job on everything in house right now, but a couple of people that MO sentn to Washington are not representing Missouri's ideals very well. Hopefully this November will fix that.

BTW,Missouri also has one of the best and most organized civilian State Defense Forces (SDF) in the country!

missourimilitia.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I live in Miami, Florida and I've been thinking of moving to Missouri. It seems to be the only state that hasn't sold out to DC yet.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Wow, I had no clue we had these laws.. hmmm..makes me think a bit more of my state.

I live in Rolla, but Im from Springfield, Mo..I know where Webb City is, used to live in Joplin...have you seen the Joplin lights>? lol

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Spooklight? Hornet, MO! Spent many nights wth dates on that old dirt road!!

I also spent a few weekends in Rolla. I shoulda gone to school there. Much better school for my degree than FSU, but alas, I was chasin girls and gave up scholarships to start my own business and wound up paying out the rear 10 years later to go to school here.

Anyhow, I lov MO, and it great to meet so many people from there. No offense, but I wish some of the AZ debaters would have caught on to this thread, but at least all us Missouri folks found it.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX

don't celebrate too hearty,
the US has the same law
but it's not enforced either.
All of these state laws rely
on the US Gov to take the
illegals off their hands once
they catch them. If ICE won't
accept them guess what happens???
Not prosecuted !!!!
immigration charges dropped

[edit on 4-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I also spent a few weekends in Rolla. I shoulda gone to school there. Much better school for my degree than FSU, but alas, I was chasin girls and gave up scholarships to start my own business and wound up paying out the rear 10 years later to go to school here.

Anyhow, I lov MO, and it great to meet so many people from there. No offense, but I wish some of the AZ debaters would have caught on to this thread, but at least all us Missouri folks found it.

Yes, the spooklights..I never saw them..although I looked

Yes..well Im really glad to hear that Mo keeps it's money for the citizens..maybe it's not so bad being from the show me state, afterall

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I don't know how I feel about the law because its simply redundant. The Feds already had it and these state laws simply reiterate the same old unenforced federal law. I think the media is just stupid for pouncing on Arizona when other states, particularly MO, already had laws like this and the AZ law didn't do anything but repeat the federal law.

What we really need is to stop giving up that 80 miles of border and send in some AZ national guard! The President should have brought those soldiers home to protect our homeland when AZ said they needed the assistance!

To stem cell research, I definitely am for that. If we are going to allow abortion then we should at least make those short lives mean something. Additionally, I wish some of my stem cells had been frozen when I was a baby, whatever advancements are made I want to be able to take advantage of.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

Yes, the spooklights..I never saw them..although I looked

Yes..well Im really glad to hear that Mo keeps it's money for the citizens..maybe it's not so bad being from the show me state, afterall

That is why you bring a date! Either you get lucky and you see the spook light, or you don't see it, get bored and get lucky!!!

@boondock, yes the county sheriffs and Highway Patrol are not going to be driving them back to mexico. But, if you are enforcing laws, and you can't get the Fed to do their part and at least take the prisoners and send them back, then I say you have to re-evaluate your relationship with the Fed!!

If they don't do their jobs, they don't get your money. Restore the Republic, make the Fed do their jobk or replace them or ignore them completely! They have no power accept the power we surrender to them voluntarily.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

If they don't do their jobs, they don't get your money. Restore the Republic, make the Fed do their jobk or replace them or ignore them completely! They have no power accept the power we surrender to them voluntarily.

That is something I completely agree with. Our state governments need to start pressuring the federal government again, just like they used to do in the colonial times during and following the Articles of Confederation. The problem with Washington is definitely Washington, but mostly its that the states don't stand up for themselves. If our state governments would pressure our federal government then things would be far better than they are.

It won't happen though b/c the states are so afraid of losing certain subsidies for things like highways, recall the legal drinking age of 21 argument. Many states had younger ages and the federal government withdrew highway funding until they got their way.

When one state directly contacts and negotiates with many states and they all begin pressuring, lobbying, for us, then the federal government will have no choice but to do their job or lose power. Thats the peaceful way to handle this. Too bad our state governments are so impotent and scared to challenge the federal authority.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by memarf1]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join