It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to the 4th of July?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I remember growing up in the 70's each year come 4th of July, Our Independence Day, (USA) everyone would be abuzz with national patriotism. All the stores and businesses had signs and 4th of July sales. People would wish you "Happy 4th of July or Happy Independence Day" The TV would be filled with specials on the history of our nation. Churches and civic organizations would announce for weeks thier big 4th of July cookouts, parties and celebrations.

You could not go anywhere in June and not hear about people talking about the Big upcoming event.

The 4th was bigger than Christmas.

So.. What Happened?

There doesn't seem to be nearly as much of the above as there used to be. Very few talk about our history or patriotism. The 4th is just an excuse to have a party, eat hot dogs, burgers and for many get drunk.

Nothing wrong with celebration, but don't forget the meaning of the holiday.

How did this happen that we no longer revere this day like we used to?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I am not getting anything on this thread and i find that odd. I am not getting, Your wrong, its just as popular as ever.. or your right, I notice that too..

Is the silence a reflection on how little people actually care about this the most important holiday of our nation?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I remember those days you wrote of as well.

As far why you're not getting many replies I would say possiby it's because many of the non-American members here seem to hate our country and some of those actually wish that we would fail as a nation or worse.

Also, for Americans it seems it just isn't cool to be proud of our country anymore. I suppose that comes from the top down these days. We are members of the global community now and patriotism is frowned upon.

Anyway, Happy 4th of July to you JohnPhoenix!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

It doesn't amaze me, the "we" in a nation has been killed by individualism.
People don't care about their nation anymore. It isn't just happening in the states, it is an global development.
Ask someone from the Netherlands about their culture, they ask you,"what culture?".
Nationalism is almost something like racism these days.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I never have 'celebrated' the 4th. Since 1969... July 4th has always been a dark time for me. Things came to a head in 1981... and then I finally quit 'participating' altogether in 1984.

[edit on 4/7/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
chilling, isn't it. I too feel as if there are many who are here who hate our nation. when I was stationed in North TJ (san diego) cinco duh mayo was bigger than the fourth!! i grew up in the late 70's early 80's and remember the 4th was huge until about the mid 90's. (nafta?)

also, the gov doesn't want us to rememder the 4th these days >>>> >>>>>>>think about it

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'll tell you what happened.

It is all in the name of:
Shake shingles
Homeowners associations
Insurance companies
Cost
Safety

The real cause:
The overall pussification of america

You can't set off a sparkler in my town, while the town next door is setting of bombs all day long. My town is a lot nicer than the one next door.

As much as I enjoy burning up money, it is really pretty silly to smoke up the USA one day a year. The aftermath of polution and the air quality should be enough to make us stop with the fireworks.

Then we have the idiots that feel the need to step outside and illegally discharge a weapon in the name of the USA, our failing nation. Yea...happy 4th....whatever

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Hello there and Happy 4th of July from somewhere outside the states!

My impression was that you guys had crazy parties and fireworks akin to new years, it's pretty odd for a tradition like that to come to an end or fizzle out. If I was in the US I would be having a crazy party
and you'd all be invited while we blow stuff up!

Just a thought but maybe the lack of replies is because people are out having fun and celebrating?..

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I can only speak for my neighborhood where there are still flags flying and last night you could forget about getting any sleep with the fireworks going off. My neighbors are real fireworks junkies. Just give them an excuse
The town still has it's parade, although attendance seems a lot lower than in past years.

But outside of my immediate neighbors, I have to agree there is a lot of apathy towards this holiday.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Oh, people still get off on that kind of stuff today. I saw some this morning, looking all proud, chest all puffed out there, flashing and waving their gang colors all about. And they still drive red pickup trucks too.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I am not sure what you want people to do. They celebrate Indpendance day. that kinda mean fireworks and hot dogs.

I can't think of a better way.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
So.. What Happened?

That's an easy one.

There's little freedom left to celebrate

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I agree. And something like a threat of annihilation is probably exactly what it's going to take to unite people in this country and the world. But there are some days I even wonder if that would do it....

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
First off, happy 4th.

I think there are a few mundane reasons for celebrating the 4th kind of becoming passe. First is the fact that fireworks probably don't interest kids much anymore. In the '70s you had basic TV, radio, some very early video games and stuff like that, so fireworks were a lot more of a spectacle. They were something to break up the same-old-same-old. Now, kids have so many distractions that unless they're fairly young, it's just not as exciting. Also, the '70s were the time of the bicentennial. 200 years is pretty exciting, even the years leading up it and after. So, I think there would be a lot more talk about history because of that. After something big like that, other 4ths might just seem like turning 34, or something. Sure, it's another birthday, but what's the big deal.

You'll still see history specials on TV and folks wishing you a happy 4th, so don't let that ruin your holiday.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yes we need an Adrian Veidt type character to set the world to rights!

Personally I think a global mission to Mars would do it, but nobody (governments) seems to interested in space recently.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is true. Everyone in my neighborhood has flags in their front yard and is shooting off fireworks.

I could venture some guesses as to why it might be less of a big deal.

Perhaps people have less to be proud of these days. America isn't in its heyday anymore. There's an economic crisis and people are out of work.

Maybe vociferously proclaiming your love for America has become associated with being "redneck white trash" and people don't want to be labeled a redneck.

Being passionate about anything has somehow become passe. The MTV generation just doesn't care.

Maybe being the "big man on campus", so to speak, makes it difficult for America to show their pride. Perhaps it's akin to the way black pride and the like are accepted, but a white pride day would be frowned upon.

I think that's all I have right now. Me, personally, I just don't really care all that much.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
None of the cities that we lived in prior to this one allowed fireworks. Our sons were so excited when we moved to our current city because fireworks are legal here. For the last four 4th of Julys they have had a blast (literally).
Last week we received a letter from our HOA stating that fireworks are no longer allowed in our neighborhood. We're pretty disappointed because we usually have a yard full of people having a great time and tonight is going to be like a ghost town around here.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I can remember the 4th of July being bigger in the 70s in 1976. The other years were similar to now with the exception of fireworks.

There use to be a lot of excitement over gathering at a friends house or with family and lighting off the fireworks. Now, that's pretty mush illegal in most parts of the united states unless your way out in the country.

We can't even buy snakes or sparklers here in the city I live. Only those blasted confetti things are legal.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
They try to tone it down to enhance the spirit of "multiculturalism", an insidious plot. All part of the big swindle.

No one considers themselves American anymore. There is all this talk all the time of African-Americans, Italian Americans, Hispanic Americans, Jewish Americans, etc. etc....all this PC BS is "promote diversity" which is quite simply to destroy any sense of unity among the people.

And of course, they don't want to really remind anyone about fighting against tyranny...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join