It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which do you have a bigger problem with , God or those that follow him ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Have self proclaimed followers of God ruined religion for you , or do you have a problem with the idea of a God , period ?

Speaking for myself , I do believe in God but having said that I can understand how many are put off religion do to the self righteous and fanatics .

Is your dislike of religion based more on a dislike of those that follow or a dislike of the very notion of a God ?

Could the greatest conspiracy in religion be perpetrated by those that claim to be devout followers of a religion with one breath but do the total opposite of what they claim to believe with there actions ?

So folks , which do you have a bigger problem with , God or those that follow him ?

Kind of makes me wonder if God would have more believers if it wasn't for the actions of those people who claim to follow him now

[edit on 4-7-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Those who follow him.

There is an agnostic society here that has a sign out the front that says "God, please save me from your followers".

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Both.
One shouldn't be ruled by something that is anecdotal at best (God) and those that follow a shadow only spin in circles while claiming progress.
(edit to add)
The creation of Dogmas and religions as a whole come from personal preference. The proof of that is how religions change over the years to accomodate the current popular sentiments. Some are much much slower than others though.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by lordtyp0]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I am, for all intents and purposes, an atheist (like a lot of Catholics and jews, I still maintain the cultural trappings without the faith). Thus.. .why would I have a "problem" with god? I might as well have a "problem" with leprechauns or honest politicians or something.

The problem arises from the "followers" - one and all, they believe that their opinions are shared by an omnipotent being that rules the universe, and thus I should also obey their opinions because this being says so. Honestly, find me a religious person who believes their god disagrees with them about anything. You won't.

In fact, the followers of religion make the strongest argument possible for the non-existence of an all-powerful all-knowing deity. if there is a singular, omnipotent, omniscient being... How come there are so many religions? Why so many denominations? Why so much difference of opinion? if God is a fact, then there should be very little argument about it; "God exists" would be a statement like "the sky is blue" for every human in the world.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
My ex-husband is the kind of 'Christian' that is on his 3rd marriage due to his tendency to have affairs,his bullying ways,his need to control and his short temper.
He is the kind of 'Christian' that believes he is forgiven by his God when he repents and he is welcomed back in to the fold(his congregation) with loving arms.
His congregation turn a blind eye to his foul treatment of his wife(current and past) and when divorce finally comes(which it no doubt will again),the wife loses her husband and her church 'family' because he feels it is his church and continues to attend.
(Might i just add that i am not a Christian,but i attended church as a family with our children and considered many congregation members to be my friends).

It's Christians like him that give Christians a bad name.
And the ones that are racist.
And the ones that go to war in their God's name.
And the men that opress women.
I could go on but i think you see my point....

In any religion there are fanatics.Said ex-husband went through a phase of carrying his bible around and preaching to all and sundry,the word of HIS Lord.Hypocrite.

I don't hate Christians.I dislike FAKE Christians.
I don't hate Christianity either.I can see why it was implemented,why the bible was written....why it was neccessary.
I just dislike manipulation.The manipulation of mankind.
The fear factor.
And the same goes for any other religion that manipulates through fear.

It was not supposed to be this way.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The problem is those who follow this thing called god when they don't even know god. If however one knows god, there will be no problem.
I will tell you about my story: I spent years in therapy, trying to relieve my suffering and despair. 10 years with the same women, one day she accused me of doing something. She had a client toilet recently installed in her home, previously clients used her own private bathroom which is directly opposite the consultation room. On this day, i needed the toilet and not thinking used her private bathroom. From then on she was saying that i did it on purpose, i insisted that it was an accident. She told me that on that particular day i was angry, that i did it for spiteful reasons, to check up on her, to do something sneaky. I insisted that it was an accident. She said it was unconscious!!!
Well, i trusted this women, she was supposed to be the expert, she should know me after all this time. Yet she didn't. This sent me reeling.
Who could know me if she didn't? The only one who could ever know me would have to be me!
You are the authority, no one will ever know you.
Follow no one.
God is this moment, you are inseparable from this.
Respond ablity.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

[color=C6AEC7]I dont have a problem with god, because Im not completely sure whether he exists or not.

I do have a problem with religious people who tell people that if they dont believe in god, they will go to hell. I dont like the idea of anyone who tries to tell others how they should live their lives. If someone wants to follow a religion, fine, just dont try and make me do the same.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by tappy]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with either... if they keep to themselves and don't force others to live as they do.

IRM

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I rarely have problems with anyone, only with those who keep bothering me with stuff I don't care about. So I bother them with questions

But to react on the stated, Never met God so he didn't bother me.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I, usually, don't like believers. I could say why, but I feel it's obvious why most people don't like crazy christians.

I once had someone say to me after I told them I was an atheist, "Don't worry, i'm not gunna preach God to you." most people are content with hearing this. I, however, said, "Good. Then I wont preach atheism to you."

On the other hand, if I come across a Christian who says to me, "God wants better things for the poor children, so i'm donating 50% of each paycheck to the homeless children." Or something similar, I'm very happy.

So in a nutshell, I don't like followers for the most part, but if the idea of a god makes one a better person, then i'm game. I don't believe it should down to that, I feel people should do good on their own, but we all have our vices.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
No problem with them....just pity for them!

Sorry lines

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I did not grow up as a Christian. There was no church for me. There was no prayer, and God was a curse word.

As I grew older and embraced my natural Spirituality my curiosity was peaked as to the rantings of the Christians.

For the longest time, knowing that the signs are here telling us all that the days grow short and the hour is near, I thought to myself that if it is the task of the Devil to deceive in order to retrieve, then why isn't there more Satanists? Why, based on the amount of Christians everywhere, this just seemed to me that the Devil had already lost this battle.

Now I understand so much more. I realize that Christianity is only one story of the bigger story, that it is lies candied over with Truth. It is true that the Devil's greatest trick was to fool everyone that he was not real.

Yet the Devil isn't Lucifer, and we are Satan (Society is Satan). Demons are within us all and the day will come when we begin to recognize the Demons even if they are sitting in a pulpit!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have learned over the years, it is easier to go with the flow of things than to fight it. As an example, I play guitar with some older guys, a couple of them invite me to play guitar with them in church. After we play and go through the services, we talk for a bit before leaving. It`s when we talk, that I normally get the question. Hey, why don`t you join our church. I ask them, why? Oh, it would be good for you. I then ask them, wasn`t what we just did good for all of us? They say, oh my, yes it was. I then tell them, well that`s good, and to think, I didn`t have to join your church just to make it good. You see, as I tell them, just because we don`t have the exact same beliefs, doesn`t mean we can`t be friends, and can`t get along with one another. In fact, to this very day, they still invite me to play guitar with them in church, but have dropped the, what I call the"pushing"of me to join their church. Do I set though the services? Yes I do. Why do I if I don`t believe in the things they teach? Out of respect for my friends, knowing this is what they need in their lives at this time.

Many religions can`t see it that way though. Either you believe their way, or, you are unclean in their eyes. Though I have no problem with them having their belief, because I know it is what they need at that time, what I find troubling is when they use that belief to judge me with. One person such as this, told me that if i didn`t follow the teachings of the book, and not go to church, i may end up not being one of Gods chosen people. I asked him if this was a normal thing, to go around judging people like this. He said , oh no, it`s God who judges you. I asked him if he was God then. He looked at me funny, and said, no. I asked him why then are you judging me. He said oh no, it`s God who will be judging you. I said correct, that makes you God then, right? Well, why do you say that. I told him, if it is God who judges people, then why are you making that judgment of me before God does? He got a little red in the face, and told me he was sorry.

The main point in this is, we are all at one level or another in our lives right now, good or bad. And what we use to get ourselves through these times is all up to each of us. It doesn`t make anyone of us right or wrong. We are not put here to judge each other, but to judge ourselves by our actions and reactions to all the things we may do, and, to all the things that happen within our lives, and how it affects those around us. It`s not about me, or you alone, it`s about every one of us all together.

As for God. Some use the name God, others the One Creator. Either way, when I want to see God/ One Creator, I just look at those who are around me at the time, or look within myself, or look at the world around me to find the source.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by FiatLux]

new topics

top topics

join