It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Astronauts and 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
NOTE: Before reading this, lets all believe that the question of whether or not ETs exist is out of the question, although, it really is. According to Erich von Daniken, there are 16 billion planets and 100 billion stars, and at least 180 million of them support life.

Some believe that on December 21, 2012, our world will come to an end. There were many theories on what could possibly happen - Global Warming, nuclear explosions, corrupt government, overactive plates. Another one you may have heard is that aliens would take over Earth. Sounds crazy, right? Well, I just might change your mind.

The 2012 theory first came up when archeologists found out that the Mayan calender ends on the date 12-21-2012. Some believe that they either just ran out of room or that their calender would just start over again just like out calender does at the end of December. Others believe that this is truly the day the Earth will end. If these people are right, then how did the Mayans come across this knowledge? That answer can easily be answered with the Ancient Astronaut Theory.

In case you don't know, the Ancient Astronaut Theory is the idea that extraterrestrials came thousands of years ago in the time of the Sumerians and helped the human race progress. They helped create the first civilization, Sumer. They kept returning to Earth during the ancient times, helping us become more and more advanced. Eventually, we became the advanced peoples we are today with alongside the extraterrestrials.

Some believe that this theory is impossible because theres no evidence. If you look into it, there defiantly is. The ancient peoples called them gods, but we Ancient Astronaut Theorists call them ETs. Because ETs come from the sky, alike gods, some believe that the ancient peoples confused the two names. Basically, an extraterrestrial did the same things gods did. They brought good to the people. In a lot of cultures, people were afraid of their gods and believed that if they didn't respect the gods, they would cast bad things apon them. In other cultures, the people believed that the gods were very forgiving and would not make bad things happen, so they were not afraid of their gods. If the gods were ETs, then there must have been different races of extraterrestrial with different beliefs who ruled different peoples because their treatment seem to vary between peoples. Do our rulers' treatments vary here on Earth too? Yes, which means the ETs must have similar thinking processes as humans. There are also many, many other things to suggest that we were visited by ETs like the Nazca Lines, the Egyptian pyramids, the face on the moon which resembles the Egyptian Sphinx, and tons more that I cant list. One object that stands out in my topic is the Mayan calender.

Ancient Astronaut theorists believe that ETs helped create the Mayan calender. The date 12-21-2012 is not the end if the world, but the return of the Annunaki. This means that the gods (ETs) will return to Earth. What they do when they return is a mystery. The worst case scenario would be that they have run out of natural recourses on their own planet(s) and want to strip Earth of its raw materials. As for humans, we could either taken away from Earth or destroyed to get us out of the way, or enslaved to make some use of us. A better happening would be that they want to make peace with us. We would share planets and their resources along with our knowledges. It would become a much better world and we would go through many, many years of plain old world peace without wars and any of that stuff. The only bad thing that may happen would be that religion would probably disapear along wih the knowlage of ancient astronauts... maybe a few quarrels over that. But at least we would have the ETs to look up to. And, hey, if the world should eventually end, the ETs would be there to back us up.

That, or nothing at all.

This is only my theory, feel free to resist.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by nicolee123nd]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So do you think 2012 is the end of the world? Or that aliens will return?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
First of all... if you do any kind of actual research into the mayan calendar, you will find it out it does NOT END on 12-21-2012; it is simply a transition of calendar cycles; the end of the 13th b'ak'tun and the start of the 14th.

The mayan long-count calendar reads like an odometer... with december 20th or sometime before the 21st being something like 12.9.9.9.9... and then december 21st being 13.0.0.0.0.

If you ask any present-day mayans about their calendar, they will tell you that the "apocalypse" has nothing to do with their calendar- 2012 is just an important transition period as it marks the end of a giant cycle and the beginning of a new one- like a new-years day that happens once every 5000 years.

As for the ancient astronaut theory... the evidence compels me enough to believe that there was indeed some kind of civilization that influenced all the first "official" civilizations of the world- from the sumerians, to the egyptians, to the mayans. The fact that all these civilizations have pyramids, as well as a mythology that includes very similar gods is reason enough to believe they were all connected.

When you think about it, the fact that the great pyramid was built only 500 years after civilization began is just ridiculous! The technology and architecture/engineering required to build something like that wouldn't spring up in a few hundred years from a people who had never lived in cities prior to 500 years ago.

The question remains, for me, whether or not this advanced civilization was an earth-bound one a-la Atlantis, or ancient astronauts. If it was ancient astronauts, it would be anyone's guess as to whether or not they would return and when... but honestly I couldn't think of a single reason why a civilization advanced enough for inter-stellar travel would want to come here...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
First of all... if you do any kind of actual research into the mayan calendar, you will find it out it does NOT END on 12-21-2012; it is simply a transition of calendar cycles; the end of the 13th b'ak'tun and the start of the 14th.

The mayan long-count calendar reads like an odometer... with december 20th or sometime before the 21st being something like 12.9.9.9.9... and then december 21st being 13.0.0.0.0.

If you ask any present-day mayans about their calendar, they will tell you that the "apocalypse" has nothing to do with their calendar- 2012 is just an important transition period as it marks the end of a giant cycle and the beginning of a new one- like a new-years day that happens once every 5000 years.

As for the ancient astronaut theory... the evidence compels me enough to believe that there was indeed some kind of civilization that influenced all the first "official" civilizations of the world- from the sumerians, to the egyptians, to the mayans. The fact that all these civilizations have pyramids, as well as a mythology that includes very similar gods is reason enough to believe they were all connected.

When you think about it, the fact that the great pyramid was built only 500 years after civilization began is just ridiculous! The technology and architecture/engineering required to build something like that wouldn't spring up in a few hundred years from a people who had never lived in cities prior to 500 years ago.

The question remains, for me, whether or not this advanced civilization was an earth-bound one a-la Atlantis, or ancient astronauts. If it was ancient astronauts, it would be anyone's guess as to whether or not they would return and when... but honestly I couldn't think of a single reason why a civilization advanced enough for inter-stellar travel would want to come here...

So you wonder why ETs would want to bother with a lesser species? This is always an easy, yet difficult answer. First you would have to put your human brain into an ancient astronaut's body.

So your ET race just found out that there's another planet with life on it. You are one of many to travel to this planet to see whats up. When you get there, you find what we now know as prehistoric men. They're struggling to survive - build homes, get food, be civilized. You and others from your planet discover how smart these creatures actually are. You decide to use your own knowledge to teach them and help them become more orderly, its sort of like a charity. Eventually you have to go home, but you keep coming back to teach them more. Over time, they start getting more advanced and start learning on their own, so you visit less and less until eventually, you don't need to come anymore at all. You leave then alone, but have a date planned for when you will return and do what you shall with these advanced civilizations you helped create.

Maybe I didn't answer your question, maybe I did. You just have to think of it as what you think humans today would do in the situation. They would want to interact with these people for the same reason a teacher would teach a student, a charity would donate to unfortunate ones, a couple would adopt a baby. The ETs have brains that work the same as ours, so as long as it makes sense to you, it'll make sense a an extraterrestrial.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolee123nd
NOTE: Before reading this, lets all believe that the question of whether or not ETs exist is out of the question, although, it really is.

ET exists. just ask ET.
yep yep.

According to Erich von Daniken, there are 16 billion planets and 100 billion stars, and at least 180 million of them support life.

i think you may have been misinformed, or maybe i have been misinformed, or maybe we are all misinformed..

i think there are certainly at least a billion stars in the milky way galaxy.
i think there are certainly at least a billion galaxies.

i'm going to read the op again and give it some thought before i post again. let it sink in and stuff.

but, yes, i believe ET exists.

sincerely,
ET

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

So you wonder why ETs would want to bother with a lesser species? This is always an easy, yet difficult answer. First you would have to put your human brain into an ancient astronaut's body.

Well you seem to be missing the point that ancient astronaut's are aliens... therefore do not have human brains. Unless for some reason intelligent life everywhere develops brains that think the exact same way, it is anyone's guess as to how an ET would think and act.

So your ET race just found out that there's another planet with life on it. You are one of many to travel to this planet to see whats up. When you get there, you find what we now know as prehistoric men. They're struggling to survive - build homes, get food, be civilized. You and others from your planet discover how smart these creatures actually are. You decide to use your own knowledge to teach them and help them become more orderly, its sort of like a charity. Eventually you have to go home, but you keep coming back to teach them more. Over time, they start getting more advanced and start learning on their own, so you visit less and less until eventually, you don't need to come anymore at all. You leave then alone, but have a date planned for when you will return and do what you shall with these advanced civilizations you helped create.

Maybe I didn't answer your question, maybe I did. You just have to think of it as what you think humans today would do in the situation. They would want to interact with these people for the same reason a teacher would teach a student, a charity would donate to unfortunate ones, a couple would adopt a baby. The ETs have brains that work the same as ours, so as long as it makes sense to you, it'll make sense a an extraterrestrial.

Your story makes sense, but again, you are basing it on the fact that ET's think the same way we do- that they have the same emotions, same beliefs, morals, ect. While it is possible they do, I highly doubt it, but there is no way to know for sure until we actually come into full-blown un-covered contact with one.

You also have to take into account the possibility of HOW advanced an ET civilization would be compared to ours, and how the term "advanced" would be interpreted.

With that in mind... we may see ourselves as ready to contact ET's, to join their community or whatever, when in reality they are still thousands, if not millions or possibly billions of years more advanced than we are.

If they are that advanced, besides charity or possibly some resource-driven agenda we can't conceive, there would be no practical reason to come visit us and interact with us- Would a university-level student want to hang out with a bunch of kids who haven't even gotten past kindergarten?

Of course this is all speculation, as until disclosure of some sort happens, speculation is all we can do.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Well, I just might change your mind.

No . . . I don't think so . . .

Don't misunderstand. I have nothing against - and, in fact, admire - initiates who hear an old theory for the first time and wholeheartedly grasp it with passion and zeal simply on its surface; indeed, the initial thrill fades all too quickly when a bit of further study and research is performed, rarely to return with near-same intensity until the next 'profound' theory comes along.

I agree in many ways with Monts' first post above (at least in this particular instance). Your presentation as it stands, while it may be innovative to you, is the early basis of most prevalent material available in any 'Early Astronaut' search and fails to dent the surface of real thought-provoking research available.

To reiterate: this is in no way meant to offend; rather, it is meant to encourage. Grasp the theory, but seek a tighter hold. Research the Mayan Calendar, study Gilgamesh, think outside the common boundaries, and learn.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
just correcting you

there are 100 billions of galaxies, with 100 billions of stars systems - I dont know the planets number ...

multiply that ... and you have infinite possibilities

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I really don't like the ancient astronauts idea. It bugs the hell out of me. It takes this notion that humans are feeble-minded and unable to create anything more complex than a stone point on a stick....until ET came and helped.

The ET showed us how to build stuff out of rock using harder rocks. They showed us how to point our fancy new buildings towards the solstices. Not much huh?

There's no reason to believe that humans haven't screwed this planet without the help of anything else, but our ingenuity and stupidity!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

How about 2012 alien contact theories in both of my Project: my Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour mod project(where the Anunnaki aliens come to earth because they are attracted by the Large Hadron Collider and decided to attempts genocides humanity and possibly life on earth to extinction with their Nanotechnology) and My Parody Film Project(where the Anunnaki are Causes an epic Crossover between different characters from countless different fandoms and continuities by eliminating barriers between different universes(where different fandoms and continuities are belongs to their respective universes, whilst the anunnaki themselves are belongs to the Universe where Real World are belongs(contary to what most people believe, pretty much of everything where Mainstream Scientific community is very biased against them are also belongs here)) via quantum trans dimensional drive ability of the Anunnaki top leader: the Pharaoh(referred as Atum by ancient Egyptians, now it's body are galactic scale Cyborg Dyson Sphere(half organic, half nanotechnology) that contains supermassive black hole for it's energy source) in order to reunites with it's Ba(soul power, belongs to the Plankton of Spongebob Universe) in order to Rules absolutely every universes for eternity with one rule: every mortal lifeforms must exterminated(the Anunnaki themselves calls them Goyim(nothing to do with Jews) save for the Illuminati followers and members whose that worships the Anunnaki as their Gods), this movie will mainly spooves my own Fandoms)

[edit on 4/7/2010 by masonicon]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monts

Well you seem to be missing the point that ancient astronaut's are aliens... therefore do not have human brains. Unless for some reason intelligent life everywhere develops brains that think the exact same way, it is anyone's guess as to how an ET would think and act.

Your story makes sense, but again, you are basing it on the fact that ET's think the same way we do- that they have the same emotions, same beliefs, morals, ect. While it is possible they do, I highly doubt it, but there is no way to know for sure until we actually come into full-blown un-covered contact with one.

You're defiantly right, we don't know how an extraterrestrial's brain should work. Alls we know about them is that they are very advanced, probably more advanced than us. But we are still advanced, too. Seeing that we are both advanced species, one could think that the two different brain would work the same.

Or maybe they had different intentions.

Maybe they weren't actually trying to help us. What if they wanted to pass on their knowledge, so if something happened to their race, there would be another intelligent race that they could trust to help them. If their world comes to an end, maybe they want to come to Earth to settle.

Sort of like those rumors that when our earth is eventually destroyed, we would find another planet that can support us and live there, only the ETs had it more planed out...

Would a university-level student want to hang out with a bunch of kids who haven't even gotten past kindergarten?

Well, not exactly hang out with them, the extraterrestrials didn't "hang out" with humans, they taught them. Yes, a university level student could want to teach a bunch of kindergarteners, if that person aspired to be a teacher.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer77

As I was typing this, in my brain I was saying "a lot of people are just going to think that this is complete bogus". To me, it makes sense because I've watched a lot of Ancient Aliens on the History Channel and currently reading Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daniken. It might make a little more sense if you would look into either of these sources, or maybe not. You have to be open to it at first, so when you do start learning about it, you wont be saying "No, no, no" about every piece of evidence it shows you. Once you can actually sit down and just learn, with that little bit of openness, things start to click and make sense.

I've discovered that not everybody thinks like that; some or more skeptic than others. And I'm okay with that. No matter what you say when you're talking about the Unknown, people are going to object. A good Ancient Astronaut theorist learns to deal with that.

That's why, in that quote, I say "I JUST MIGHT change your mind".

[edit on 4-7-2010 by nicolee123nd]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

reply to post by Wonderer77

To me, it makes sense because I've watched a lot of Ancient Aliens on the History Channel and currently reading Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daniken. It might make a little more sense if you would look into either of these sources . . .

It seems you've completely misunderstood my post.

It's obvious from your posts that you're a neophyte, excited by your new discovery of a theory which seems to 'make sense,' one that allows things to 'click into place.'

I read Chariots Of The Gods at it's '68 first release, dozens of other related books, thousands of articles, and myriad prattlings. I'm not attacking your belief or the theory. There are compelling indications that an unexplained level of technology may have existed at the early rise of civilization concurrent with development of written history. I do not use the word, 'evidence,' because that would necessarily refer to circumstantial rather than definitive and possibly be misleading.

I only suggest that, in this newfound grip of an exciting 'new' theory, you not immediately attempt to spread the word and convert others based on your most rudimentary and basic first findings.

Once you can actually sit down and just learn, with that little bit of openness, things start to click and make sense.

Actually, your suggestion to me is what I'm suggesting to you. If you present your beliefs regarding a particular theory, along with a more complete knowledge and rational argument, you are much more likely to cause serious thought in another; to proceed in the absence of in-depth research and further study is to only confuse and alienate (perhaps I should have used another word) those you might otherwise reach.

By the way - those History Channel specials can be quite entertaining, can't they?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Well, you have a nice metaphor there, but you can look at it from another angle as well.

Consider parents and children, the parents have more serious problems than the kids - financial matters, how to pay the bills, political matters etc.. I would say compared to the childrens' problems, these are more serious. But parents also likes to give advice to their children and participate in solving them, giving some therapeutical relief and making them forget their own more serious problems for a while. But they are also preparing the children and giving them the "tools" to make the tough decisions themselves when they eventually grow up.

If one subscribes to the ancient astronaut theory, this might answer as to why they might be interested in hanging out here on earth. Just a thought though, nothing more.

Regarding the principality of morality being the same throughout different human cultures are not necessarily true (might be true for the west though), and for aliens this is also likely to apply. To understand how morals are established within human minds I would refer to Jürgen Habermans, which is a sociologist and philosopher - that is if anyone are interested in that subject

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Just wanted to say that von daniken did NOT fomulate the drake equation.....
I assume thats what the op meant by the 16 billion plantes... etc etc

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Anyone who has ever read H.P. Lovecraft in depth that von daniken, in essence stole the material for chariots of the gods almost directly from The Call of Cthulu.

There had been aeons when other Things ruled on the earth, and They had had great cities. Remains of Them . . . were still be found as Cyclopean stones on islands in the Pacific. They all died vast epochs of time before men came, but there were arts which could revive Them when the stars had come round again to the right positions in the cycle of eternity. They had, indeed, come themselves from the stars, and brought Their images with Them

and for those that may bring up the topic of how the 'ancient astronauts" created life, please see Into the Mountains of Madness.

It was under the sea, at first for food and later for other purposes, that they first created earth life—using available substances according to long-known methods… It interested us to see in some of the very last and most decadent sculptures a shambling, primitive mammal, used sometimes for food and sometimes as an amusing buffoon by the land dwellers, whose vaguely simian and human foreshadowings were unmistakable

As well as, von daniken was charged, prosecuted and jailed for fraud and embezzlement, and has retracted numerous claims IE: the "non rusting iron pole in India" and his claim of being led through an underground cavern in Ecuador where he found pottery depicting " ancient astronauts" where found to be false as well, when NOVA found the potter who made them.

I am not dismissing the ancient astronaut theory, just van daniken, sure he writes a good story, based on a master writers works. Is it truth, hardly. Could it be possible, sure, but not from his words.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by C-Reilly
Just wanted to say that von daniken did NOT fomulate the drake equation.....
I assume thats what the op meant by the 16 billion plantes... etc etc

Yes, I do know that very well; it was Frank Drake who I should give the credit to. Is just that, in his book Chariots of the Gods, von Daniken summed it all up and made it more clear to me; I'm referring to his book.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

So I see, you're a true skeptic.

The ET showed us how to build stuff out of rock using harder rocks. They showed us how to point our fancy new buildings towards the solstices. Not much huh?

Ok, THATS called being an unhealty skeptic. What you did was take two lesser elements of the Ancient Astronaut theory, and say thats it. The Ancient Astronaut theory goes SO much more in depth and is much more important and meaningfull.

What your doing is taking informatin given to you and twisting it around to make it seem much smaller than it really is.

I respect that you don't find the theory true, but not that you try to put it down like that.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

So I see, you're a true skeptic.

Ok, THATS called being an unhealty skeptic. What you did was take two lesser elements of the Ancient Astronaut theory, and say thats it. The Ancient Astronaut theory goes SO much more in depth and is much more important and meaningfull.

Actually, what I think he was trying to do, was point out the logic problems. When you examine a claim, all you need to do is find one inconsistency. One will lead to another. And eventually, you will have so many inconsistencies that the original story couldn't possibly be true.

For example, if ET's came down to deliver us knowledge, why did they only teach us how to pile rocks up? Why not teach us how to make machines and quantum teleporters? Or atleast, give us the ability to make cars or something similar? And please, don't say "Man wasn't smart enough to handle that" Because you could take an Egyptian from 3000 BC and bring him to present day NYC and teach him how to build a laptop. The brain has scarcely evolved one iota over the past 5000 years.

So, a species masters interstellar flight, and travels here only so they can show us how to build stone temples? Doesn't make sense.

And don't start with the Enlil and Enki thing. There's very little proof to even substantiate that claim, save for a bunch of ancient writings that haven't been seen by anyone but Von Daniken.

And then yet another plot hole: Why did they decide to share this knowledge with us? What charitable ETs.

And one more: Why did they show us these things, say "Okay, that's all for today, good luck!" and zoom off into the stars for 5000 years?

There are alot more, but I think you see my point. It's very nice that Von Daniken has proposed a new theory. And while, a lot of it seems to fit together if you follow his logic train, as soon as you start to really ask questions and you recieve unsatisfactory answers, you have to wonder how much if it is true.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by MrSensible]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

What your doing is taking informatin given to you and twisting it around to make it seem much smaller than it really is.

I respect that you don't find the theory true, but not that you try to put it down like that.

Nicolee,

Others have tried to hint to you what I'm about to say outright:

You are completely out of your depth.

Most people knowledgable in the "Ancient Astronaut" hypothesis know VonDaniken to be an admitted fraud. Yet you here use this most ridiculous of conmen as a reference.

There is a search function here. I think that if you use this function properly you'll find that what you say above: "Ancient Astronaut theory goes SO much more in depth and is much more important and meaningfull..." should be a basis for embarrasment on your part.

It's cute how you think you know something Kandinski does not about this ridiculous hypothesis.

A great many of us here cut our teeth on EVD in the 1960's.

Repeat - 1960's.

It wasn't until the early eighties I learned I'd been outright lied to by VonDaniken.

I never fell for Sitchin's stupidity. Nor Hancock's. I have VonDaniken's stupidity to thank for that.

Harte

top topics

<<   2 >>

join