It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does it mean to be American to you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
With over half the ATS visitors coming from the US, I am interested to see whether the political, economic, military and cultural influences of nearly tens years at war have changed your view on national identity.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hard to answer because I was born American and never experienced living in any other country before since the day I was born

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It can only mean:

Be yourself. That's all that you can be.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

It means that our government is our creation and works by our consent.

No...wait, that's not right. It means that Corporations are persons and have all of the rights of natural people, and they are the ones being represented by our officials.

Being an American means being free and freedom means doing what one is told.

Patriotism means no questions Comrade.

Yeah, that's American.

To be American also means you have no rights unless you have fought in the military. You are not born with your rights, you must earn them.

[edit on 7/3/2010 by dalan.]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
-To see proper potential candidates being over-run by fluff candidates that are spoon fed to the masses.

-To see any potential news of the world being replaced by fluff stories.

-To live in hope but aware of the negative tide pulling us down.

-To watch our wars overtake other sovereign nations.

-To see people that hate us take it out on the innocent people instead of the guilty politicians (and others associated with the push and pull of false decisions) - TARGET THE RIGHT FREAKING PEOPLE! If someone attacked your family, would you take it out on complete strangers or the ones that were responsible for the act? Unless it is all staged, it defies logic to attack the innocent while the guilty continue on. Punish the guilty, not the innocent.

-To see us taxed more than any king has taxed us before (I am sure kings have taxed more, but you get the point). Local or federal, how can any property be taxed? Then it is not owned! Do we own anything? Only those without fear truly own anything now.

-To see people argue certain rights are not protected by the constitution. The constitution is not all-inclusive; it only puts in writing what some of our rights are and should be protected (which are abused now anyway). Take away the constitution - IT DOES NOT MATTER - the rights ALWAYS exist (but we have to enforce our rights...have to leave fear behind for that one).

-To see history replaced with fluff.

-To see our kids being fed the worst possible food at public schools. 'Don't want veggies kid? Well here is some ice cream and fried chicken with a side of pizza - happy now?' Parents proud of that one? School administrations doing great there huh?

-To see states decisions being over-run by federal decisions and states allowing it.

-To see a lack of state militia to protect it's citizens from any enemies that try to take what is not theirs (foreign or federal or other states, etc...). National Guard is not a state militia so please do not bring that up (no offense to those that serve).

-Freedom will always exist - just have to stand tall instead of bowing down and saying 'yes your majesty.'

-People that hate America, please take it out on the right people. The citizens for the most part are not to blame (voting is a game and has been for some time - so blame cannot be fully placed on the weight of voters). Please take your hate and your actions to the right people that deserve it. But do proper research so as not to harm the innocent. I am not promoting violence so much as suggesting the protection of the innocent.

vent over, hope remains, heart and soul returns

[edit on 3-7-2010 by ratboy]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
To me it means all we have worked for all of our lives could be taken away with the stroke of a pen, but under the same sword I can exact my own agenda if I see the status quo change also.
Being an American gives me that right.
So I guess we are a bit more arrogant than most other countries.
I take the good with the bad, and if I wake up and find I was fooled…

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
do as we're told, believe what they say and the rest of the world have no freedom and are jealous of us.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I'm part of the largest corporation in the world, as a tax payer.

It's time to bust up the corporation, and let the rest of the world take care of themselves, and time for us to take care of each other, as legal residents of the US!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

How confused am I?
I see and understand your point yet i am amused and repulsed at the same time about it.
Thought provoking at the very least.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
FREEDOM OF SPEECH! We should have the freedom to say whatever we want. I don't believe in censorship. Oh well some on here do.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
You can live in the desert
and still be part of a cold war.
There is to much to list
to many successes and failures.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

What does it mean to be American to me?

Well . . . in this time and age of corporate fat rats and corporate run government . . . it doesn't mean a darn thing anymore

new topics

top topics

join