It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'A Whale' Skimmer Positions In The Gulf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The largest skimmer in the world is ready for action in the Gulf. This thing is a beast! I'm ready to see it in action. I hope these things can live up to their potential, which optimally is 21 million gallons of oil per day.

The A Whale arrived in the Gulf on Wednesday and has been awaiting approval to join in cleanup efforts. The vessel is estimated to be able to skim 21 million gallons of oil a day, at least 250 times the amount that modified fishing vessels currently conducting skimming operations have been able to contain, according to TMT.
Video: Oil ruins summer tourism for Pensacola Video: Gulf area businesses in trouble Video: Jimmy Buffett talks Gulf oil disaster

Built this year, the vessel was meant to carry crude oil and iron ore. But after hearing about the oil disaster in the Gulf, TMT modified it to become the world's first large-scale skimmer, spokesman Frank Maisano said this week.
Researchers have estimated that between 35,000 and 60,000 barrels (1.5 million to 2.5 million gallons) of oil have been gushing into the Gulf daily since April 20, when the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded and sank off the coast of Louisiana.

Newly retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen announced Friday that since June, the skimming capability in the Gulf has increased more than fivefold, from approximately 100 large skimmers to 550 skimming vessels of various sizes working to collect oil in all parts of the region as. To date, 28.2 million gallons of an oil-water mix have been skimmed from the Gulf's surface.

www.cnn.com...
World's Largest Oil Skimmer Positions In The Gulf

A Whale's project manager says the rig can skim up to 300,000 to 500,000 barrels of oil out of the water daily (a max of 21 million gallons), depending on weather conditions. God help him if his projections come in low. The government has had a bit of an attitude about it. The EPA and the Coast Guard have delayed the A Whale's arrival while checking procedure manuals to determine whether the giant vessel may damage the environment:

______beforeitsnews/news/92/679/A_Whale_in_Gulf_Being_Tested_Video.html

Here's a little bit on what the skimmers do:

Oil skimmers are pieces of equipment that remove oil floating on the surface of a fluid. In general, oil skimmers work because they are made of materials to which oil is more likely to stick than the fluid it is floating on. At the same time, the fluid has very little attraction to oil skimmers.

Oil skimmers are usually all that is necessary to remove oil from a liquid. In some cases, however, oil skimmers may be used to pre-treat a fluid. In this case, the oil skimmers remove as much of the oil as possible before more expensive and time-consuming measures are employed. Pre-treating the fluid with oil skimmers reduces the overall cost of cleaning the liquid.

www.wisegeek.com...

The EPA and Coast Guard had delayed the A Whale's arrival while checking procedure manuals to determine whether the vessel may damage the environment?(*see below)

* EPA and Coast Guard Delays:

The 6-month-old ship, owned by the Taiwanese company TMT, was originally built as a supertanker and then recently refitted as a gigantic oil skimmer for specific use in the Gulf. According to the Pundit, reaching a payment agreement with BP is a non-issue; however: “To join the fight, the ship also might require separate waivers from the Coast Guard and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.”
The problem for the EPA is that they have no data on the efficiency of the separation process and therefore have no idea how ‘dirty’ the reintroduced seawater might be. Note to the EPA: It will be cleaner than it was when it was originally skimmed! The A-Whale pumps oily water into internal tanks where it is allowed to separate naturally before the cleaner water is pumped out again. At this point, is there really any reason to question the efficacy of a device that is intended to mitigate the amount of oil in the water? It’s less than it was when they started! Even so, the ship’s operators have agreed to work with the EPA to determine an acceptable level of contaminant in the discharged seawater.
Another major hurdle facing deployment of the A-Whale stems from the 1920 Jones Act: “TMT also is working with the Coast Guard to gain approval to operate in the gulf, which may require a waiver from a 90-year-old maritime act that restricts foreign-flagged vessels from operating in U.S. waters, said Bob Grantham, a TMT project officer … Capt. Matthew Sisson, commanding officer of the Coast Guard’s Research and Development arm in New London, Conn. would not offer a timetable for Coast Guard approval of the vessel, but said he will try to “turn around a report … as soon as humanely possible.” How about right now? Is that not soon enough?

www.examiner.com...

It seems bureaucracy and disorganization are the main culprits in any delays. I can't help but think liability comes into play here too.

Something similar happened with Gov Jindal in his efforts to acquire several suction barges. The Coast Guard first claimed they had to inspect all the barges. Weeks later they let the barges go to work without inspection. Again I'm thinking there is a liability issue that no one wants to be responsible for in the event of something going wrong.
www.bayoubuzz.com...

Best wishes to the crews and efforts!!

Peace

[edit on 3-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

The EPA and the Coast Guard have delayed the A Whale's arrival while checking procedure manuals to determine whether the giant vessel may damage the environment:

Hahaha, that's a knee-slapper.
Like it matters at this point.

Anyway, I hope this machine cleans this crap up, I really do.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Now if they would have accepted the world's help in the first place when it was offered before the recent bouts of stormy weather and getting into the hurricane season....just maybe the spill could have been reduced a little bit more than what it is today. I am not saying this vessel would have had a huge effect but any removal of oil still goes a long way.

Way to hold offers of help at bay to benefit the union thugs...

ETA: Information for the misinformed

US not accepting foreign help

"While there is no need right now that the U.S. cannot meet, the U.S. Coast Guard is assessing these offers of assistance to see if there will be something which we will need in the near future."

Accepting International help for oil spill cleanup has been a six-week process...

The Obama administration knew over a month ago that it needed help from international ships to clean up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but is just now close to utilizing their assistance, a top government official said Thursday.

O's tardy response

Is 70 the Gulf Coast's lucky number?

That's how many days since the Deepwater Horizon oil spill that it took President Obama to accept foreign help in cleaning up the Gulf mess.

Are unions Dock Blocking oil cleanup ships in the Gulf of Mexico?

President Obama is impeding clean-up efforts in the Gulf by kowtowing to unions and members of the American maritime industry

-Visit Source for complete article

As it can be seen, help was available from the moment many sensed this problem is going to be huge...but that help was held at bay thanks to Obumbus and those in his administration. I guess when the POTUS is busy golfing, disaster is the last thing on his mind.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

you are spreading mistruth. No legitimate foreign aid has been turned away yet.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com...

You are either intentionally or unintentional repeating a lie.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Not lying, International help was held at bay for several weeks after it was offered by nations in the East and South America. They were told help was not needed because BP and Obumbus/cronies had the situation under control.

This was all in the news, did you miss the headlines?

This wasn't about the Jones Act. BTW, didn't need those links.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Not lying, International help was held at bay for several weeks after it was offered by nations in the East and South America. They were told help was not needed because BP and the Obumbus had the situation under control.

This was all in the news, did you miss the headlines?

You mean the headlines in FOX news and the WaPo? Sure, I saw them. They were NOT true. Did you know there are more thana dozen different flags in the gulf right now? And none of them were delayed for more than a day or two.

If what you are saying is true, post the article. Just saying it was in the news does not make something true. Faux News and the rest of the right has been spinning at top speed to deflect from the previous admin's complicity in this event by throwing mud all over the current admin. Its lies .

[edit on 3-7-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Articles posted for your viewing, I think you already know that help was delayed.

And your diatribe against those news organizations other than those with close ties to this corrupt administration is very well noted, though the information above is not even from those outlets you despise so you might actually enjoy visiting those articles.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
IMAGINE THAT !!

The worlds largest oil skimmer brought to us by the exact same company that built the Deepwater Horizon Oil Rig.

And to think that they realized a need to convert the ship only days after the disaster. Amazing insight or .... fore-knowledge?

A whole new conspiracy in its self. Thanks Hundia!

yeah I was to lazy to make my own thread so I had to wait for someone else to bring up the whale

go with it if you will

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses guys!

Let's hope the difference these ships make is truly significant!

peace

[edit on 4-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lunchmanstan

I am dubious at best concerning the true intent of the Taiwanese ship. Last week China and Taiwan signed a free trade agreement.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

So, YOUR news sources are credible, but mine arent. Interesting.

Also, mine wasnt a news source. It was a quite directly from the person in charge. While your partisan speculation was backed up by NO evidence and merely innuendo.

Noted.

The TRUTH is that no legitimate help was detained for any significant time.

But if you prefer to attack me instead of the footnoted info i provided, so be it

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Articles posted for your viewing, I think you already know that help was delayed.

Ah, i see you went back and provided links after the fact.

Too bad they are all nonsense.

No, no help has been delayed for any significant period of time. Foreign vessilles have been in the water for some time now, and the insinuation that the 'spill' would be better 'cleaned up' if a handful of ships had entered a few days earlier is pure nonsense.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

So, what company runs Voice of America?

Dutch say They Could Speed Gulf Oil Recovery with US Permission

In Louisiana and other states on the Gulf of Mexico there is frustration over what many residents see as a slow response by the U.S. government to protecting coastal areas. Some critics of the Obama administration cite offers by the Netherlands in April to supply sophisticated skimmers and dredging devices, and the administration's failure to accept the offer. The issue is as murky as the oil slick now threatening regional beaches.

A Houston-based company is now cleaning oil off surface water in the Gulf of Mexico using sweeping arms that attach to a boat and help gather large amounts of oil. These sophisticated devices were provided by a Dutch company with years of experience in such operations, but instead of using the Dutch ships and crews immediately, when The Netherlands offered help in April, the operation was delayed until U.S. crews could be trained.

The Obama administration declined the Dutch offer partly because of the Jones Act, which restricts foreign ships from certain activities in U.S. waters. During the Hurricane Katrina crisis five years ago, the Bush administration waived the Jones Act in order to facilitate some foreign assistance, but such a waiver was not given in this case.

Voice of America

Voice of America (VOA) is the official external radio and television broadcasting service of the United States federal government.

Interesting.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

So, what company runs Voice of America?

Dutch say They Could Speed Gulf Oil Recovery with US Permission

In Louisiana and other states on the Gulf of Mexico there is frustration over what many residents see as a slow response by the U.S. government to protecting coastal areas. Some critics of the Obama administration cite offers by the Netherlands in April to supply sophisticated skimmers and dredging devices, and the administration's failure to accept the offer. The issue is as murky as the oil slick now threatening regional beaches.

A Houston-based company is now cleaning oil off surface water in the Gulf of Mexico using sweeping arms that attach to a boat and help gather large amounts of oil. These sophisticated devices were provided by a Dutch company with years of experience in such operations, but instead of using the Dutch ships and crews immediately, when The Netherlands offered help in April, the operation was delayed until U.S. crews could be trained.

The Obama administration declined the Dutch offer partly because of the Jones Act, which restricts foreign ships from certain activities in U.S. waters. During the Hurricane Katrina crisis five years ago, the Bush administration waived the Jones Act in order to facilitate some foreign assistance, but such a waiver was not given in this case.

Voice of America

Voice of America (VOA) is the official external radio and television broadcasting service of the United States federal government.

Interesting.

Like I posted in my first post in this thread, my understanding is the Jones Act has not been invoked once. I have seen no evidence otherwise.

Yes, some ships have been delayed for a short period of time, No the week or so would not have made a difference in the oil reaching the shores. Yes, every little bit counts, but to imply that the delaying of ships for a few days could make any significant difference in the clean up effort is absurd. There is over a 100 million gallons of oil and ships will be cleaning this up for YEARS. To imply this brief delay would have made a difference either way seems a bit far fetched to me.

again, NO JONES ACT has been invoked EVEN ONCE. Just because some talking head says so doesnt make it so.

I tend to think that National Incident Commander Admiral Thad Allen probably knows better than some news reporter looking to sell a newspaper.

www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com...

Now, ignore the evidence and call me a BP SHILL!!

[edit on 4-7-2010 by justadood]

new topics

top topics

join