It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant salmon to be first edible GM animal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Its human stupidity at work ...again!
IMO all who eats a GM salmon, it's not eating a salmon at all, it is eating a new kind of modern monster!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yes they are cross breeding the salmon with a growth hormone found on another type of salmon.

Actually, it's not even a salmon they're getting it from. It's an eel like fish called an ocean pout.

Which probably makes the whole thing worse.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
*edit

[edit on 4-7-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
If they're going to be grown in fish farms in the sea a lot of them will escape the containment cages and contaminate the natural genetic pool of Atlantic or Pacific salmon with unknown consequences and these GM companies will then sue fishermen for private sales of fish with these supergenes.

From the OP:

AquaBounty, the Massachusetts company behind the GM salmon, say the fish will be sterile and therefore poses no risk to the wild.

Of course, if they are lying then prevent the GM fish from being legal.

Is a group of greedy humans tampering with nature for their own greedy needs and they careless what happen to those that will be made into victims

Don't become a victim and neither your children.

GM food has the potential to increase yields which can possibly decrease costs, increase the supply so we can feed more people, and reduce our impact on the natural environment. Thus it can quiet possibly have the exact opposite effect to what you're saying as we would no longer be required to rape the natural world for food.

Is no only Salmon what they are tampering with, now farmers are also having problems with the super weeds that are the results of the seed tampered crops, mother nature is very smart when it comes with braking the natural balance, humans make GMO seeds full with pesticide and mother nature comes back and hit the fields with super weeds

Which is BS.

depletedcranium.com...

Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safer than anything that is unnatural.

I like how you personify nature, too.

Yes they are cross breeding the salmon with a growth hormone found on another type of salmon.

They spliced the Salmon with a type of Eel which dramatically increases growth rate and muscle mass. If the fish does now create a significant amount of growth hormones then I agree that these should be publicly acknowledged.

[edit on 4/7/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Hey thanks,
this is worst that I thought when I read it, it kind of sound like another type of salmon from the same family.

I guess the morons wants to impress the people with a bigger salmon to feed the eyes while been keeping the secrets of how the hormones are been added and in what quantities.

So this is not just a "cross breeding" but a cross breeding of two different species but been part of the ocean is dumb people that think that is ok to create monstrosities of two different species.

Well how about creating a mix of cow and pig, after all they are both mammals right?

Incredible.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I'm in GA too and was very glad to see that. SCOTUS actually ruled against Monsanto too, even though they touted it as a "victory." GM crops and the related poisons they use on them affect so much more than the food too...think the bees and the birds that die off...owls seem particularly sensitive to their nightmare chemicals around here. And the die offs could very well have to do with GM crops not providing them the kind of natural sustenance they're used to. Chances are they've adapted or will adapt, like humans, but do we really want them to?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
GM food has the potential to increase yields which can possibly decrease costs, increase the supply so we can feed more people, and reduce our impact on the natural environment. Thus it can quiet possibly have the exact opposite effect to what you're saying as we would no longer be required to rape the natural world for food.

Sorry to burst the bubble here but in Europe farmers are banning GM seeds, why? Research is all over the net.

And as for more food to feed the world is all a big lie, is all about control of food supplies, make farmers around the world dependent on GM seeds and people will still starve, if poor farmers can not afford the GM seeds they can not farm at all once they become slaves.

Is not prove up today that GM is going to save the worlds hunger but is prove that is their GM seeds are causing a lot of problems in other countries crops and animals that have been feeding of it in the fields, and that is all about profits and control.

Which is BS.

I guess you get your "good" news from Monsanto only do you.

Eat your genetically modify salmon, be a corporate lab rat.

Is plenty of ATS threads on the realities of what GM, Monsanto and all those other companies are doing with their genetically modify crap, and also the dangers that they pose to human survival specially health, we human are our worst enemies and we will be the ones killing our own speicies.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yes that is the big problem, the poison that is embedded on the crops are damaging the environment and the ecosystem linked to it.

And then people are wondering why bees are dying, occurs if you support the GM crap you see no evil going on here is all good, right?

America is the testing grounds for the big experiments against nature and is all good.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It's not just America. I recall them tracing bee die offs to proximity to fields of GM foods in Australia and somewhere else (England, I think?) but this was probably 4-5 years ago. And it's birds and fish too.

And, yes, you'd think people would have learned about messing with our food with the whole hormones in meat, mad cow, preservative issues and so on and so forth and their effects on children. But some still don't know or care. I will say though that more and more people are waking up to this than in the past 10 years and becoming active in the cause. The certified organic and local produce in all our grocery is rapidly overtaking the non-certified, non-organic. Prices are now very competitive too.

As for the poisons these companies also have introduced, about 6 years ago, when I rescued three owls in one week from the effect of a horrible pesticide that a national lawn care chain was using, I teamed up with the police officer who responded twice to the calls because he cared deeply about owls. We worked with a university lab to identify the poison and then to make the people in the neighborhood aware of what was happening. We all actually then got the company to stop using that particular pesticide. And oh by the way, the fireweeds that were plaguing our neighborhood for years and getting increasingly worse? Gone now. Coincidence? Maybe. But to me there's hope. Little things can make a big difference.

If you can't change the world, you're certainly more in control of what goes into your own family and what is happening in your immediate area.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

The sad part is that we see going on with nature is nothing compare of what is going on with us when we eat the crap.

people will argue that is OK because we are eating the crap for years are we are doing well

Right? what people doesn't understand is that the crap that we eat is passed on to our offspring's and there is where the problems will start.

Our next generations will be affected by what we allowed to be feed with.

Look what is going on with children in the US they are now increasingly obese, diabetic and to become feeding cows to big pharma.

Then again is a reason why you got the food and drug administration linked together, the biggest conspiracy of all and people still doesn't get it.

We in America are becoming the biggest testing grounds for those profiting off tampering with nature.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Ah sigh .... *shakes head*

im not even going to say what i think about the last couple replies.

But theyre not pumping the salmon full of hormones... thats what we currently do. The whole idea of them being GM'ed is so that they produce the hormones on their own. Also the salmon arnt going to be any bigger... they just grow all year round as opposed to seasonaly (if you read the OP article) so instead of taking 3 years to mature they take 18 months (as far as i remember).

EVERYTHING you eat is GM'ed. Nobody eats wild types of food crops because

1. they dont grow a 10th as well as the agricultaral strains we have bread
2. They usually cant grow anywhere outside of their original environment.
3. They probably went extinct yonks back when we bread them to be the superior crop they are today

same goes for pigs, sheep and cows... you think 10,000 (or whenever we started domesticating them) they looked anything like they do now?

what y'all are worried about (and i agree) is all the additives we give these crops and animals ... the pesticides (carcinogens) and the artificial hormones we feed them. And the single danger of GM'ed food if it were grown organically would be if it had an unexpected impact on its environment. Eating it isnt any more dangerous than eating anything else. The genes wont magically infect you or anything.

~TR~

PS: are you as horrified by mules as you are this new salmon? Its just as much a chimeric animal and mutant... it has 3 sets of chromasomes as opposed to the usual 2...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join