It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Government calls for 40% cuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Savage cuts of up to 25% are being introduced by the UK Government. However while everyone was busy watching the world cup word has leaked out that the Government have instructed their departments to also produce plans for cuts of up to 40% by the end of the month.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Prepare for stikes and unrest like in Greece coming to your neighbourhood soon.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
To give you an idea of scale ... a 6% cut in the Dept Work & Pensions admin budget 4 years ago resulted in the closure of the entire social security office network plus the closure of hundreds of Job Centres.

40% ? There won't be a Job Centre left in the UK. And all social security admin will have to be outsourced to the private sector, possibly abroad too, such is the scale of the reductions required. Nightmare.

Can't quite remember this being in anyone's party election manifesto, certainly not the Liberals. I can't see anyway these cuts will be approved by Parliament, the Liberal/Conservative coalition will collapse before cuts of this scale get passed.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
People should demand the govt default on ALL of its debt, then start out new with a balanced budget - you won't get credit - but it should not be needed.

Credit is only required where sound fiscal strategy is absent.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Before we blindly accept these cuts to education, policing, etc - which will adversely affect every single person in the UK (apart from the very rich) .....we should have an open book to see EXACTLY where all the money has been / and is being spent!!

I notice from the link that you gave that the foreign aid budget has not been touched !!!!????!!!!

Have a closer look at some of the nonsense which falls under the banner of foreign aid and your blood boils

"£3.6 million to the Trades Union Congress.
More than £1 million to teach nursery and primary school children in the UK about the ‘dangers of unequal global development’.
£600,000 to an ethnic minority think-tank which has not published a report for almost three years.
£300,000 to the National Union of Teachers to ‘enable them to become global agents of change’."

"The policy came despite a pre-Election audit of the DFID, which identified £800 million of annual spending with dubious merit – including £35 million in aid to corrupt Uganda and an astonishing £825 million to nuclear-armed India over the three years from 2009.
The EU also receives £1 billion a year from the department to distribute to developing countries"

LINK

Unless people start questioning what is going on and put a stop to the debauched and highly agenda'd antics of Laurel & Hardy ....we are going to sink.... and fast!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Couldn't they just ask people to take a 20 percent pay cut and take the other 20 per cent in the form of efficiency savings that should reduce the amount of extra unemployed.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by keldas

A 20% cut will reduce my wages from just over £1,000 pcm to £800 pcm. It costs me £120 pcm just to get to and from work. That'd leave me with £680 pcm.

I'd get £600 pcm on the dole, what with my rent & council tax being paid.

Would you work full time for £80 pcm ?

No, no you wouldn't. And me neither.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Do you really think we would stand up to these cuts ? No we wont. we will moan and curse but i dont think we would fight for what we want even if its not right.

Untill i see my friends and family and neighbours out no the streets with me, nothing will change.

enjoy life

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Vast amounts of money are being drained out of this country through previously nationalised industries and utilities being owned by foreign companies which drain the profits out of this country.

We have millions of foreign workers who pay little or no tax and send money home thus not re-investing in the British economy.

We had no manufacturing whatsoever so Labour created numerous jobs in the public sector to get people back to work.
This obviously came at a cost.
The Cons are now reversing that policy and putting millions back on the dole.
Either way it costs money.

We have allowed The Benefit System to become a lifestyle and career choice rather than the temporary crutch it should be.

But if there are no jobs what option is there?

We have allowed the PC Brigade to self fund themselves resulting in numerous pointless and self-aggrandising groups and committees with no real or beneficial purpose.

We have a Foreign Aid policy that remains unchecked.

We have had an open door immigration policy that has been abused to the extreme.

We pay ridiculous amounts to the EU with no benefits in return other than ever increasingly repressive dictates.
The UK receives no benefits whatsoever from the EU and it is a constant drain on our resources.

We imprison people for minor or outdated crimes at ridiculous cost.
Those who are rightly imprisoned for violent and sex crimes, murders and armed robbery etc are also done so at enormous cost.
How about hard labour and minimum comforts?

There are numerous areas where savings can be made and numerous reasons why they must be.
But one thing is certain, we, the ordinary, everyday people will pay the major part of the burden.
And the majority will do so unquestioning and without protest.

new topics

top topics

join