It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Government Departments Told To Prepare for 40% Cuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Breaking story on the BBC website at this time news.bbc.co.uk... saying that British Government departments have been told to prepare for budget cuts of "up to 40%".

Looks like all departments except for education, defense, health, and international aid. They've been told to prepare reports for budget cuts of "25% AND 40%" by the end of July.

This is for a country who's debt is "only" at about 55% of GDP, compared to that in the USA of over 90%.

Coming soon to a Federal and State Government near you.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Ouch!!!

If thats really true, there is no sector where you will be hit very hard! In this moment I just have to ask from every UK citizens, after 9 yrs of two horrible wars and Blair blocking profits from oil companies, and picking up "peace prize" from his US masters - WAS IT WORTH OF THIS?

[edit on 3-7-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
40 % cuts seem very large but I know from personal experience that there is a lot of 'BLOAT' in the public sector in the UK and everyone knows that there HAS to be a reduction in the scale and rewards that some get....
The REAL problem is that many in the UK believe they are WORTH more than they really are..... It's not their fault, they have had the past 11 years to base their experiences upon and now the idea of cuts is something which is somebody else's problem, not mine....

Wake up........... IT's ALL our problems and this is only this year..... There needs to be a real reduction over a period of years............

The GOOD times are over people in the UK..... TIME to get real and stop relying on our houses and easy money for later life..

GOOD LUCK everyone..

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What percentage is entitlement driven?

Never mind, just found it. 65% of the UK Budget is Entitlements.

The Wars were a minor blip.

18% Health Care.
18% Pensions.
16% Welfare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had no idea! How does that happen?
13% Education.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
What percentage is entitlement driven?

Never mind, just found it. 65% of the UK Budget is Entitlements.

The Wars were a minor blip.

18% Health Care.
18% Pensions.
16% Welfare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had no idea! How does that happen?
13% Education.

13 years of a weak labour goverment.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Johhny

I see your figures and understand that 'Welfare' is a reasonable size however we do, as a society NEED to be a little bit supportive of those who are disadvantaged in some way (illness, some medical issues etc etc)..

The key here is that, as a society we ALL need to take Responsibility and if we know some are FLOUTING the system then they should be highlighted and sort of EMBARRASSED in a public fashion...

We need to be a little tougher with those and change the attitude of our current TAKE TAKE TAKE society......

Regards

PurpleDog UK

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

This is the thing , it needs to be fair, if we are going to tackle the benefit system we also need to tackle tax evaision which is carried out predominantly by the wealthy. Tax evaision costs the british tax payer 15 billion a year compared to 1 billion in tax fraud. yet what we have seen is a budget that will terrify many vulnerable people who struggle to get the measley amount of welfare to live a normal life.

We are looking at another million more unemployed, with no job prospects on the horizon. We are going to see more homeless people and more poverty. As usual the rich will be able to insulate themselves.

As someone who does have to live on benefits and has had to move home to live with retired parents I have to admit to being a little scared about the future.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

woodwardjnr

I agree with your comments about tax evasion and those who try to insulate themselves being more RESPONSIBLE to the larger society but I do also worry that there is a culture in the UK which has grown with the current younger generations of having what you want when you want and NOT being told NO.... I as a child found out that I couldn't have everything I wanted, I also found out that I wasn't the best sportsman in my school (for ref I was about 3 or 4th quickest) BUT I dealt with it. When I interview people today for sales roles I come across alot who expect everything upfront without putting in the work first of all. As a rule I employ people on a living salary for a year and if they prove themselves then we ramp up what they earn. I need them to 'BUY IN' to what our company does before giving them everything....... The more I write here the more irritated I become with alot of people's attitudes.

I actually put a large part of the blame at the doorstep of celebrity culture and sporting culture.. Footballers have proven in recent weeks to be, in my mind a pointless distraction for the sheep to follow...... I think you and I have in another thread exchanged comments about the England team and I think their performance proved me right...!!! Who really cares if they have a chance or not !!! They are an over rewarded distraction for the sheeple....... I would rather spend my time time learning, reading, doing something to enhance myself THAN WASTE my time watching these 'STARS'????

woodwardjnr - I am great believer that if people focuss themselves on what they want to do and FORGET most of the pointless distractions (footballers, celebrity, buying irrelevant stuff etc etc) then you will leave the masses / sheeple behind and become your own person....

It goes back to being RESPONSIBLE for ones self and others who are in genuine need....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

new topics

top topics

join