It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you must not speak its name.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
There are many Japanese tales of knowing the true name of a demon and being able to bind it. Not sure if someone had mentioned that yet, but there are a few cases of it in video games and anime lately.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Candyman. Candyman. Candyman.

Oh, hell no! He's here!

I understand what you are talking about OP. When I was a kid, there were older kids in my neighborhood who influenced me to do things that weren't acceptable. Not really bad things, but things we all knew we were told not to do. The problem was the older kids were very convincing when they told their parents that it was all my idea, or even that they were no where around when all the activities occured. I was just going along, to get along with them. Anyway, people in the neighborhood began to refer to me as "that bad boy from across the lake." In their minds I was that, and eventually, because nothing I did could convince them I wasn't the one who started all the stuff that I was involved in, I ended up purposefully doing things to irritate and disrupt them.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
When Lilith rejected Adam she simply spoke the name of God and she rose into the air.

"Beam me up" would be an appropriate analogy, however, I would not want to accidentally speak the words Lilith used, there would be a mess to clean up in Heaven.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

yes! the name is the space that you are allotted to occupy by the other people in your local environment.

even though many people would argue that it is up to YOU whether or not you will assume the role of the "naughty boy across the lake", i suspect that it far easier said than done to re-authenticate your life after having been given such a name.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
You know what, this kind of makes sense to me.

I am forever trying to lose that last ten pounds. As soon as someone tells

me I look like I've lost weight I effectively fall off my diet. I figured that

sub-concsiously I thought that I didn't need to lose anymore so I would

literally slack off without realising it.

Weird, but your op does explain my problem,

[edit on 7/3/2010 by Hatcookie]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Hi tgidkp,

Was just randomly browsing when I saw your thread, and realised I wrote a few things about the same subject last year, and have experienced first hand the power of it. Go to my profile and look for the 'original name' threads (three in total), since then I've gone a lot deeper into these ideas then what I have written, so give them a read and see what you think.

Cheers
Shane

[edit on 3/7/10 by shamus78]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
his name is legion. he is many...

oremus bible browser

2And when he had stepped out of the boat, immediately a man out of the tombs with an unclean spirit met him.

3He lived among the tombs; and no one could restrain him any more, even with a chain;

4for he had often been restrained with shackles and chains, but the chains he wrenched apart, and the shackles he broke in pieces; and no one had the strength to subdue him.

5Night and day among the tombs and on the mountains he was always howling and bruising himself with stones.

6When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and bowed down before him;

7and he shouted at the top of his voice, ‘What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me.’

8For he had said to him, ‘Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!’

9Then Jesus* asked him, ‘What is your name?’ He replied, ‘My name is Legion; for we are many.’

10He begged him earnestly not to send them out of the country. 11Now there on the hillside a great herd of swine was feeding;

12and the unclean spirits* begged him, ‘Send us into the swine; let us enter them.’

13So he gave them permission. And the unclean spirits came out and entered the swine; and the herd, numbering about two thousand, rushed down the steep bank into the lake, and were drowned in the lake.

its just a thought. probubly not right but hey what ever.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
What you are talking about reminds me of...you are in a bar and an uppity provocative woman comes up and says "You are so big and scary I am afraid to talk to you"...to which (depending on your mood) a good response might be "If you were really scared, you wouldn't say anything So why don't you just shut the hell up before I have to show you what scary really looks like..." ...(this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship, if you like trouble, hee-hee)...

Likewise, your sister seems like a covert enemy to me...if she wasn't malicious her compliment would not drain you...so when she says "you appear comfortable in your own skin" I would be tempted to respond "Evidently not so comfortable that you didn't think it wasn't worth a try to steal that comfort from me by passing little remarks Tell you what, from now on don't tell me how I am unless I ask you for your opinion, and in return I won't tell you how you are...how's that"

You can receive unambiguous and proper and righteous compliments...when your feelings on receipt of a compliment are bad, it reflects the bad intent of your interlocutor...

The world is full of smiling haters.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This has turned out to be one of the most interesting threads i have ever read. Given that all i am is just a quantum observer, it would make sense that i had no idea. literally i had no idea to express to anyone. Just the expression of an idea, as the dirving force for that idea itself...

Pride with a capital P, is a messed up thing. OP... thank you for your insights. Many names have been spoken in light of your post. Internal dialogue going crazy. Feeling very lost and confused. U2U if you understand.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by DizzyDayDream]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is an interesting thread, and it seems to me it is being taken in two different directions.

One: "The Looking Glass Self". That we become, what we are told we are.

This drawing depicts the looking-glass self. The person at the front of the image is looking into four mirrors, each of which reflects someone else's image of him back to him.Created by Charles Horton Cooley in 1902 (McIntyre 2006), the looking-glass self[1] is a social psychological concept that a person's self grows out of society's interpersonal interactions and the perceptions of others. Cooley clarified it in writing that society is an interweaving and interworking of mental selves. The term "looking glass self" was first used by Cooley in his work, Human Nature and the Social Order in 1902.[2]

It has three major components and is unique to humans (Shaffer 2005). According to Lisa McIntyre’s The Practical Skeptic: Core Concepts in Sociology, in the looking-glass self a person views himself or herself through others' perceptions in society and in turn gains identity. Identity, or self, is the result of the concept in which we learn to see ourselves as others do (Yeung & Martin 2003). The looking-glass self begins at an early age and continues throughout the entirety of a person’s life as one will never stop modifying their self unless all social interactions are ceased. Some sociologists believe that the concept wanes over time. Others note that only a few studies have been conducted with a large number of subjects in natural settings.

And two:

That we do not.
Sometimes you might meet someone for whom you have a fondness for certain characteristics they might possess.

Have you noticed that if you even verbally admire them, or point out the desired behavior to the person, they diminish the characteristic? In other words, they stop doing what you told them you like?

I have noticed this in my own self. Someone says "I really like the way you do that". I stop doing it. Not sure why. I always attributed it to self-consciousness or not wanting to appear to be "flaunting' this attribute.
If this makes sense.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

the threads that are referred to by shamus78 are here (highly worth the read):

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i had read these threads last year when they came up. i very VERY much agree with your point of view, although i am not certain how to relate it to what i am getting after here. would you mind taking a quick stab at it?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

The Naming Of Cats by T. S. Eliot

The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.

First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey--
All of them sensible everyday names.

There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter--
But all of them sensible everyday names.

But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?

Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one cat.

-------->>

But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover--
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.

When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well, basically all things, our religions, langauge and institutions, even the way we graduate with our uniforms, and court houses are coded to SATURN and their negative "sungod". SATURN, SANTA, SATAN, ring a bell? Basically a maelevoelent Draco et type all tptb seem to be married to. I denounce all their coding. And all the negative dracos too!

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

i do love my sister dearly, but i am afraid you are right.

i am afraid that most everyone is, on a subtle level, totally aware of this type of interaction. and since becoming aware of it, i have seen some really bizzarre and unpleasant (and unexpected) exchanges.

but i disagree with you in that i do not believe that EVER making such a positive identification, even if used in a proper and righteous context, can result in anything other than what i have described.

this is the nature of the Evil Eye.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by tgidkp]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

I think a martial arts instructor can often give non-harmful compliments to a student...for example...would you agree or disagree with that?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

UGH! Why have you got this male person stabbing another male person, while clutching a naked female?

I cannot even consider what you say when that picture is there.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
This is a deep thread. I know that compliments always make me feel very uncomfortable. Insults seem to pass right through me, or incite me to improve myself. The uncomfortable feeling that accompanies a compliment does feel like a draining.

As far as the true name. I don't know what to say. Traditional folklores, myths or religions the world over often have a variation on the true name. Don't know why, but thinking about this has me remembering H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomicon. I'm not an expert in demonology, as I gave up that interest years ago, but to summon a spirit you need to know their true name.

@greensage: Is your avatar a Shiba inu? I have one of those. Think I'll make her my avatar later. Awesome little dogs aren't they...

[edit on 4-7-2010 by tamusan]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

this is a tricky example and i like it.

after reflection, i believe that the answer lies in the fact that: once the instructor has given the command, the cognitive space is no longer unoccupied.

in order for the student to fully occupy the space, the instructor must always remain completely neutral.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp

in ancient superstition, this was referred to as the "Evil Eye". it is said that if you speak a compliment to someone, you are to immediately follow it with an insult. also, if someone else speaks a compliment to another, then you may follow up with the requisite insult.

the reason i bring it up is that there seems to be both a rational and a metaphysical explanation for this phenomenon.

rationally, you can say that you have placed an expectation into the psyche of the individual. expectations are dangerous in that, more often than not, they are impossible to fulfill. the dangling carrot is forever out of reach, yes? so by telling someone that they are funny or smart or beautiful, etc., you are effectively placing that thing out of their cognitive reach.

what is this "true name"?

thank you!

Very interesting thought provoking thread you obnoxious moron.

(Did I do it right?) ( Just kidding of course.. Or Am I?) Hmm..

I do not know the true name of which you speak. I think that is based on more legend and superstition than any actual facts. Perhaps some did discover it.. Hitler perhaps.

I think this is another one of those questions we will never have an answer to.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Maybe you were comfortable, until someone pointed it out, then when you became aware of it, you became self conscience, and consumed with feelings of guilt or inadequacy. Because she made you feel like there was something wrong with being comfortable. Or that, it was unnatural in some way. She didn't take your essence or power away, your own feelings of guilt, took them away.

Just as in Samson and Goliath, the hair had nothing to do with ability to battle, but it changed self-esteem and caused doubt to set in.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join