It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you must not speak its name.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

if you tell a child: "you are so funny!" they become acutely aware of being funny and by doing so become annoying.

the child's mind is now focussed on producing the effects of "funny", rather than focusing on the behavior of which "funny" was merely a side effect. by focusing in this way on any particular aspect of a person, you effectively "take the magic" out of them and cause them to become unable (or at least severely handicapped) of authentically producing this behavior.

in ancient superstition, this was referred to as the "Evil Eye". it is said that if you speak a compliment to someone, you are to immediately follow it with an insult. also, if someone else speaks a compliment to another, then you may follow up with the requisite insult.

the reason i bring it up is that there seems to be both a rational and a metaphysical explanation for this phenomenon.

rationally, you can say that you have placed an expectation into the psyche of the individual. expectations are dangerous in that, more often than not, they are impossible to fulfill. the dangling carrot is forever out of reach, yes? so by telling someone that they are funny or smart or beautiful, etc., you are effectively placing that thing out of their cognitive reach.

but i experience this thing myself on a regular basis. i have become quite attuned to it in my own life, so as to be able to combat it directly. and when it happens to me, i would swear that i can actually sense a change in the....shall we say, energetic exchange.

energetic exchange?!

well, yes. a couple of weeks ago when my sister told me that i appear to be "comfortable in my own skin", i felt a sort of essence being drained from me. for the following couple of weeks, my personal perspective was skewed.

let me say again: this draining or exchange of energy can be felt. what is this magic?

in the story "Needful Things" by Stephen King, the evil character was defeated in the end by someone learning and speaking his true name. it was said that by being able to speak the name of a person, you are able to assume total control over them.

what is this "true name"?

thank you!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp

I don't know, but I would like to.

I once knew the leader of a group of backwoods people who wouldn't allow his name to be spoken.

I always wondered why.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by took red pill]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Voldemort.

There I said it.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Great thread! SF.

You speak of some kind of metaphysical "energy" disturbance, when describing your personal experience of this phenomenon. Well, as the head of the Humanities department in my college once said "all thought is energy".

This was in reference to our conversation about the nature of human emotions at the time, but it still applies here, as i believe they are essentially the same discussion.

But given how vastly different human experiences are its difficult to narrow anything down to further this discussion. hmm ill get back to you on this after gathering my thoughts.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
[edit on 3-7-2010 by zroth]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Thanks for the thread!

To start, I do not know what the name of the being might be... I am thinking about it though, haha.

About the subject of the thread, perhaps when one gives a compliment to another, they should follow it up not with an 'insult', but a critique, or a way they can better than part of them.

Therefore, it gives the person something to aim for, and a possibility of improving.

Kind regards

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Just my opinion. The true name would be the original place of origin or creator, the point where both evil and good were once one, thus making it impossible to perceive dualities, and further, thus making it impossible to have evil. If one understood where or who this "point of oneness" (for lack of a better term) is, then it would remind the 'evil' that he really embodies just as much 'good'. Now what would it be like if there was no 'good' or 'evil' is another question that is unknown to me. Would it be solely harmonious? Would it be solely chaotic? Or would it be nothingness? Hmmm....

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

in the story "Needful Things" by Stephen King, the evil character was defeated in the end by someone learning and speaking his true name. it was said that by being able to speak the name of a person, you are able to assume total control over them.

True name concept was around long before Stephen King.

en.wikipedia.org...

Needful Things is a 1991 horror novel by Stephen King.

en.wikipedia.org...

A Wizard of Earthsea, first published in 1968, is the first of a series of books written by Ursula K. Le Guin

en.wikipedia.org...

In A Wizard of Earthsea, the young wizard Ged guesses a dragon's true name and forces him to promise not to attack people again.

en.wikipedia.org...

A true name is a name of a thing or being that expresses, or is somehow identical with, its true nature. The notion that language, or some specific sacred language, refers to things by their true names has been central to magic, religious invocation and mysticism (mantras) since antiquity

Folklore
According to practises in folklore, knowledge of a true name allows one to magically affect a person or being.[3] It is stated that knowing someone's, or somethings', true name therefore gives the person (who knows the true name) power over them. This effect is used in many tales,[4] such as in the German fairytale of Rumpelstiltskin - within Rumpelstiltskin and all its variants, the girl can free herself from the power of a supernatural helper who demands her child by learning its name.[5] It is also a major part of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.

A legend of Saint Olaf recounts how a troll built a church for the saint at a fantastic speed and price, but the saint was able to free himself by learning the troll's name during a walk in the woods.[6] Similarly, the belief that children who were not baptised at birth were in particular danger of having the fairies kidnap them and leave changelings in their place may stem from their unnamed state.[7] In the Scandinavian variants of the ballad Earl Brand, the hero can defeat all his enemies until the heroine, running away with him, pleads with him by name to spare her youngest brother.[8]

In Scandinavian beliefs, more magical beasts, such as the Nix, could be defeated by calling their name.[9]

Much of Renaissance demonology is based on the idea of achieving power over a demon by knowledge of its true name.

The ancient Jews considered God's true name so potent that they believed its invocation conferred upon the speaker tremendous power over his creations. To prevent abuse of this power, as well as to avert blasphemy, the name of God was always taboo, and increasingly disused so that by the time of Jesus their High Priest was supposedly the only individual who spoke it aloud — and then only in the Holy of Holies upon the Day of Atonement.[10]

This belief is employed in many fantasy works. Bilbo Baggins, in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, uses a great deal of trickery to keep the dragon, Smaug, from learning his name, which even the sheltered hobbit seems to consider a very foolish thing to do.[11] The concept is also prominently present in Vernor Vinge's famous story "True Names", and in Ursula K. Leguin's Earthsea series (including the story "The Rule of Names").

Linguistic context
Socrates in Cratylus (dialogue) considers the possibility without taking a clear position. Hellenistic Judaism emphasized the divine nature of logos, later adopted by the Gospel of John. The true name of God plays a central role in Kabbalism (see Gematria, Temurah, JHWH) and to some extent in Sufism (see 100th name of God). Bhartrhari and his followers advocating the sphota theory argued for an identity of word and meaning in spite of the outward (phonetic) form of a word taking various shapes.

The early modern efforts towards a philosophical language were the quest to recover the language that refers to all things by their true names.

The notion of a "true name" is related to the field of phonosemantics, the study of a possible intrinsic relationship between sound (the spoken word) and the thing referred to. The opposite position is known as conventionalism. This is the default position of modern linguistics at least since Ferdinand de Saussure (l'arbitraire du signe), although some scholars, such as Otto Jespersen and George Steiner, take an intermediate position, and there is some renewed research in sound symbolism notably by Margaret Magnus and Vilayanur S. Ramachandran.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by acrux]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Okay after re-reading your thread, i understood why i couldn't continue..

Because i answered your question "energy exchange!?" ^^^ yes, pretty much, that's what emotions are, fluctuations of energy in your body and in many different ways, variations, combinations and with an infinite number of explanations as to why how and when they occur, to what extent they change you, their intensity, their significance, duration and psychological thought manifestations.

Which means also, that may of the assumptions you made in this thread aren't the absolutes you made them out to be.

They are in fact projections of your own internal experiences onto everyone else who has ever encountered the circumstances that caused you to react in the way you did. And you've thrown in some mythological superstition for good measure to back up your absolutes. So essentially, no this doesn't happen to everyone, just you and some others.. maybe...

check out this link for more info in regards to the concept of psychological Projection.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
the Id, Ego and Superego, the three parts of a person's
psychic apparatus, could be changed, or "Altered"
and if by an "alter ego", could effect ones self-esteem, self-importance, and cause the psyche to suffer or gloat.

The name?

nonpareil ....?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
just my two half cents,
i have a tendency to be a bit goofy and crazy, do stupid things make fun of my self ect. to make people laugh. but when they say things like you should be a comedian or your hilarious it makes it not worth while to me im not in it for the compliments its something else.(i dont have the answer for what the ELSE is)

its like when your out skateboarding or what ever and your buddy ask you to do something a trick or preform something for someone,that you have done a thousand times but now you cant "land it" or complete the asked task.

when it comes to work and im asked to do something i do it no worries,but when it comes to my natural behaviors or talents(what ever you want to call it) and you get called on it, its like i cant do it or i feel like its lost its purpose, because im not doing it for fun or just to do it, now it is expected of me.

i may be way off just my thought,take care

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Tungsten core]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

nonpareil?

The name id give to some of what you said:

Outdated

[edit on 3-7-2010 by DizzyDayDream]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Tungsten core

Sounds like your pride is telling you, that when being observed you "must" perform to the best of your ability, so that they can see how good you are. this is a problem and like you said causes you to mess up when trying to perform to an audience. This makes sense, because with such a huge pressure to perform well, a pressure your not used to when just having fun, your body becomes strssed, and therefore looses the natural fluidity neccesary for the task at hand.

So essentially just RELAX, and be aware that by not relaxing you probably wont be able to do what you know you usually can do without the audience. Which means you need to abandon your need to feel accepted by others, and instead learn to accept yourself. Once this happens people will notice and accept you more anyway. Know and remember your capable, and let that confidence stay with you no matter who is watching.

hope that helped.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I changed my name; now no one knows who I am or what I was before now.

It was explained to me that if you wish it cannot come true, because once it becomes a reality it can no longer be a wish; therefore never say "I wish". Then I guess to say, "I want" should not be fulfilled either because to obtain what you want would be contrary to it being a want.

Yikes...I am out of here!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
thanks for all the replies!! (except the one-liners
)

reply to post by DizzyDayDream

i acknowledge that this phenomenon in its supernatural sense may be nothing more than superstition. but to lend more credibility to it, i present a quote from Julius Evola's analysis of "The Art of War":

"...the name that is the Name is not the oridinary name.

Men steal life; they are outside the center and draw outside of it the virtues that should remain deep and invisible. They construct the puppet of "personality," instead of being; then they grasp it, clinging tenaciously to it like beasts.

!!! the name that is the Name is not the ordinary name.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

are you saying, then, that the "name" as the essential nature of the being must remain a fantasy?

that the true self can never manifest itself completely into reality? it must always remain unknown?

that is an interesting interpretation. thanks!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Ha! I thought this was another one of the interminable re-hashes of the nebulous internet memes surrounding Justin Bieber. I am convinced that he is not yet the antichrist, but if the little bastard gets any more attention, he just may get the job...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Ah the law of attraction?

"The act of wanting implies a separation between those who want, and that which is wanted."

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Magic, is a touchy subject to actually speak about, people, use "magic" every day without even realizing they're doing so. "Magic" is very real and usually not explained too much because if everyone knew how to use it then it wouldn't be majick andymore would it?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
this is cool.

a praenomen is what you are talking about. by the time you know a person to know this information and what it means regarding its use by your application; will it be necessary to have known "it"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join