It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists Nightmare

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

Thank you for the kind reply!

I am afraid what you posted was more confusing than what you said previously. If it is possible for you, could you explain further? If not, I'll do my best to research these passages to understand myself!

reply to post by randyvs

Thanks for the kind reply!

Are you asking why we have fingernails and not just fingers? I do not know why! My best idea is that the ancestor I had who did have fingernails survived and passed on the genes.

Unless you're asking the origin of fingernails? I don't know either! The best idea I can think of is that it was evolved from a claw of a previous ancestor, and it eventually became the nail.

Or maybe God made them!

I really cannot say either way, as I have direct evidence of neither. I really hope I did not misunderstand your point! If I did, please correct me!

Kind regards

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
reply to post by Hitotsumami

Life is not impossible. Just extremely improbable. And perhaps the planet is the way it is due to natural explanations that led up to this event. I don't see how a God would need a part in this.

Its the highly improbable part. Once the odds get so high there is not much difference between impossible and improbable. As for it due to natural explanations I have to say that things seemed to be steered toward hosting life. Every ship needs a Captain.

Highly improbable + the UNIVERSE = highly likely.
The universe is a very big place.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Why are all of you arguing on this thread? It's pointless to argue at people you never met in person. Complains about other people's beliefs won't convert them to your belief. Whatever it may be in life. Everyone! Please show respect to others and no more chaos!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SugarCube

Originally posted by HSDA83
So there's nothing wrong on making a decision "just to be safe". It's a step, before many others.

I guess that mentality explains why 'some' people sided with the Nazis during WWII... No matter the exposition of ideals, the fear of punishment will drive men to forsake their honour.

I would think that God would punish those that chose a safe path based on expedience much worse than those that refute the path honourably.

Well when it comes to being safe with Hitler or being safe with God. I think that God should have the greater influence in that department. After all. Hitler and the Omnipotent are two very different things. Like apples and... well Omnipotence.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Can we clarify one thing... Truth is not the same as fact.

Truth is subjective and represents an interpretation of fact... Sometimes to the point of wholesale fiction...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Very sorry if my responses come a little late! I have a lot of people to respond to, hehe.

Thanks for the reply!

ts the highly improbable part. Once the odds get so high there is not much difference between impossible and improbable. As for it due to natural explanations I have to say that things seemed to be steered toward hosting life. Every ship needs a Captain.

But there is a huge difference in improbably and impossible.

Also, why do you think the way the earth came to the location it is now within space steering it towards life? As far as I am able to tell, it is simply a coincidence that it ended up in the place it did and life managed to come about.

If you have some reason, I would very much like to hear it so I can understand better!

You forgot one other way to prove things. Experiencing them. We cannot prove that anyone else has a mind. There are some truths that are only self evident.

Hmm, I don't think I missed that one. Experimenting, using your senses, those are experiencing. If one does experience God, however, that is proof only to the person who experienced it, not to anyone else.

Kind regards

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Mage
Why are all of you arguing on this thread? It's pointless to argue at people you never met in person. Complains about other people's beliefs won't convert them to your belief. Whatever it may be in life. Everyone! Please show respect to others and no more chaos!

This is a forum, a public debate setting.
What do you want us to do? Sing songs in threads?

link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Life is not impossible. Just extremely improbable. And perhaps the planet is the way it is due to natural explanations that led up to this event. I don't see how a God would need a part in this.

Its the highly improbable part. Once the odds get so high there is not much difference between impossible and improbable. As for it due to natural explanations I have to say that things seemed to be steered toward hosting life. Every ship needs a Captain.

That depends on one's perspective.

link   

Interesting comment! I'd like to quickly reply.

I am having a conversation in this thread because it is interesting! I have a high interest in what other people believe and their reasoning to believe it. I am not trying to convert anyone, but just to understand better.

I do not see any chaos, at least in my conversations! I see only interesting talks!

Kind regards

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

I'll kindly like that. Please start with a soulful tune of sorrow and grove.

link   
reply to post by SugarCube

I would think that God would punish those that chose a safe path based on expedience much worse than those that refute the path honourably.

People fool themselves often. God loves those who are willing to obey him. That being the most intelligent thing we can do, and would also concur with the natural order. Or is that how you refuse to look at it?

[edit on 11-7-2010 by randyvs]

link   

Thank you! Are you a religious person?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

This is a forum, a public debate setting.
What do you want us to do? Sing songs in threads?

Exactly. We are having a debate in a very reasonable atmosphere with no mocking or ridicule. It is a great setting to talk about this subject. When the ridiculing or mocking starts then it goes south from there.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I noticed while browsing yesterday both sides were barking non stop. It's sad to see Atheist and Christians argue. Numerous of my friends are Atheist and Christian; I even have a friend who's a Hindu.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hitotsumami

Interesting comment! I'd like to quickly reply.

I am having a conversation in this thread because it is interesting! I have a high interest in what other people believe and their reasoning to believe it. I am not trying to convert anyone, but just to understand better.

I do not see any chaos, at least in my conversations! I see only interesting talks!

Kind regards

This is how these talks should really be. You are doing a great job by the way.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I think you are right about experiencing.
BUT
While truth is only one, experience can be infinitely different from one person to others, even on the same event or fact. People may even read bible and say "oh that's the experience moses had with god, let me tell you my experience..."
So events can have different interpretations, one can experience a relationship with god, while others simply will deny forever his existence...

I have experienced an electrical shock, felt the wind, things that I cannot see or explain.
Somebody else might never have an experience with god, therefore will never believe.

link   

That depends on one's perspective.

How so? Do you think the universe is small?

link   

Thank you! Are you a religious person?

I am always happy to have wonderful conversations with people who think differently than I do! It helps me understand the world better.

And I am not a religious person. I am an Agnostic Atheist. I do not claim to have any knowledge of any God, and do not see any reason why I should believe there is one.

However, that is only for now! Who knows? Maybe one day my mind will be convinced otherwise!

Kind regards

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

So your a person of weak Atheism. Sorry I'm an Ayn Rand fan so I know many Atheist from her followers. Me, I'm just me. I do pray. But that's it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by HSDA83

I think you are right about experiencing.
BUT
While truth is only one, experience can be infinitely different from one person to others, even on the same event or fact. People may even read bible and say "oh that's the experience moses had with god, let me tell you my experience..."
So events can have different interpretations, one can experience a relationship with god, while others simply will deny forever his existence...

I have experienced an electrical shock, felt the wind, things that I cannot see or explain.
Somebody else might never have an experience with god, therefore will never believe.

What you say does make sense. I believe that we all experience God, but the realization that it is God is not discovered for whatever reason. Almost as if it is kept from people.

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join