It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Atheists Nightmare

page: 18
36
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson
 


It's just a word game cop out. Address reality, don't make excuses .

If you are neither theistic nor agnostic. Only one logical option remains: You deny God exists. At least be honest about your position and stop playing silly word games.


[edit on 7/7/2010 by Bigwhammy]




posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
reply to post by K J Gunderson
 


It's just a word game cop out. Address reality, don't make excuses .

If you are neither theistic nor agnostic. Only one logical option remains: You deny God exists. At least be honest about your position and stop playing silly word games.


[edit on 7/7/2010 by Bigwhammy]


The atheist no more denies the existence of god than the existence of unicorns or leprechauns. We just do not even consider the option of believing in one fairy tale over any others. Most religious people have a really hard time understanding that the default is questioning, not faith in something made up. Atheists have no need to believe in god, nor deny him. That is your hangup, not ours.



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy
 


Ok, simple homework if you have the time:

Find me undeniable proof of God's existence. HARD EVIDENCE!

And don't bother talking about how "complex" life is, and how only a creator can explain that incredible "complexity" or the coincidence that electrons behave in a certain way. It's all a matter of probability! Chance of you getting eaten by a shark are 1:300,000,000...which btw is lower than the chance of you getting hit by an asteroid!

Just because we don't understand why or how something came to be, or how it's happening, and just because we think it's "complex" doesn't mean that a creator is the only reasonable (lol) explanation.

If you had shown the construction plans for a space shuttle to a caveman, I'm pretty sure he would have called it "complex" as well


I know it's hard to admit, but we're not as clever as we think, and our knowledge has boundaries. But we're constantly working on expanding our knowledge. A few hundred years ago, people believed meteors were "signs of God", a few thousand years ago, fire was "magical". We have figured out those things today and understand how and why they are happening. The same can and will be done when it comes to thinks we consider "complex" today.



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs
 


Yeah, you're right! It's so much easier to make outrageous statements about God if you don't feel obliged to back it up with facts.

I prefer not to be a blind obedient sheep...I need facts



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found

source:The American Journal of Psychiatry 2004


I believe in God, say what you will Atheists but the fact remain... I still have hope you don't, and I rather live with hope than die all alone and live like the above...



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by randyvs
 


Yeah, you're right! It's so much easier to make outrageous statements about God if you don't feel obliged to back it up with facts.

I prefer not to be a blind obedient sheep...I need facts


A slap in the face from God himself wouldn't bring you to obedience.
Your ma and pa never taught it to you so it's not in you. I'm surprised you actually touched on it even. You get a cookie.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by randyvs]



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_

Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found

source:The American Journal of Psychiatry 2004


I believe in God, say what you will Atheists but the fact remain... I still have hope you don't, and I rather live with hope than die all alone and live like the above...


You really can't generalize and say all Atheists are like that. Many of the reasons could also be because families maybe religious and will isolate the Atheists causing depression. Many religious harass the Atheists.



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   




Oh note that I'm not, but the army of shrinks behind that journal are... LOL

edited to prevent an extra post for nothing to add the following:

I've seen WAYYYY much more atheist attacks on religious then the opposite, just look as any religious related post for the bible or such you'll see by yourself...



[edit on 7-7-2010 by _R4t_]



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_
 





Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found

Which is another good reason why I think Atheists are mostly cowards. No not all atheists.,Is that clear enough for everyone? Why not take the easy out? No consequence. They may even plan their whole life around the thought of," well if things get to rough I'll just do me'.


[edit on 7-7-2010 by randyvs]



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   


The atheist no more denies the existence of god than the existence of unicorns or leprechauns. We just do not even consider the option of believing in one fairy tale over any others. Most religious people have a really hard time understanding that the default is questioning, not faith in something made up. Atheists have no need to believe in god, nor deny him. That is your hangup, not ours.
reply to post by K J Gunderson
 


So you are Atheist then? No wait, Agnostics right? Maybe it was Apologistic? Nope little early for that.



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
There is a sun.

Arrayed about it are planets. One of those planets is our home.

There are 200 billion stars (suns) in our galaxy. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the known universe. But don't stop there. There is a strong possibility that our universe is but one of countless billions of universes, each comprised of hundreds of billions of galaxies.

Now, imagine the god that might have created this system. Such a creature / being would essentially be infinite. From our point of view as a finite being, we can only approximate a sense of what it means to be infinite. Physics tells us that an infinite thing would have a hard time understanding the finite as well.

Yet, this god prances around on the world stage of a minor planet in orbit around a nondescript yellow star in the Milky Way galaxy, playing favorites with the local humanoids, and demanding to be adored and worshiped above all other things (or beings).

He / she / it sounds like a human being, not the creator of the infinite multiverse he surely must be, if he / she / it exists at all.

And what are we, but it's slaves?

It's absolute nonsense. Of course the religious texts warn against non-believers: They were written by men to keep the slave-herd in lockstep. An omniscient omnipotent infinite being would have no need for your genuflection.

Or mine.

Rather then wasting your time trolling "atheists" on ATS about your particular belief in god, you would do well to spend your life actually living as the Jesus in your book "lived": By doing good and by loving your neighbor as you love yourself.

Belief in your neighbors damnation is incompatible with the teachings of Jesus. Chew on that while you wail and moan in the city center, shouting to the heavens about your "belief" in god.

And then depart. Your creator never knew you at all.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by 0zzymand0s]



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   




Usually Atheists only bight if religion is brought up. Usually they aren't the ones to bring it up.



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   



I don't follow dawkins.
There is no evidence.
Just because it SEEMS like there MIGHT be a god, doesn't mean we should all become christians, and it certainly doesn't make me any less of an atheist simply because our universe managed to create life, for all we know, there are trillions upon trillions of other universes where it DIDNT manage to create life.
Yes, there are intelligent christians, that doesn't make their belief anymore fact based, just as there are intelligent hindus, intelligent atheists, and intelligent buddhists.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by hippomchippo]



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s
 


So did you have anything on topic at all or did you just stop by to boast a bit of bombastic B.S.?

out
of
the
side
of
my
neck,
sheez
what
a
bunch
of
blowhards.



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs
 


I gave you my reply to your thread.

Your reality is too small for me, and too boring.

Plus, it does nothing for your neighbor, which is the flaw in your entire argument.



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
There is a sun.

Arrayed about it are planets. One of those planets is our home.

There are 200 billion stars (suns) in our galaxy. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the known universe. But don't stop there. There is a strong possibility that our universe is but one of countless billions of universes, each comprised of hundreds of billions of galaxies.

Now, imagine the god that might have created this system. Such a creature / being would essentially be infinite. From our point of view as a finite being, we can only approximate a sense of what it means to be infinite. Physics tells us that an infinite thing would have a hard time understanding the finite as well.

Yet, this god prances around on the world stage of a minor planet in orbit around a nondescript yellow star in the Milky Way galaxy, playing favorites with the local humanoids, and demanding to be adored and worshiped above all other things (or beings).

He / she / it sounds like a human being, not the creator of the infinite multiverse he surely must be, if he / she / it exists at all.

And what are we, but it's slaves?

It's absolute nonsense. Of course the religious texts warn against non-believers: They were written by men to keep the slave-herd in lockstep. An omniscient omnipotent infinite being would have no need for your genuflection.

Or mine.

Rather then wasting your time trolling "atheists" on ATS about your particular belief in god, you would do well to spend your life actually living as the Jesus in your book "lived": By doing good and by loving your neighbor as you love yourself.

Belief in your neighbors damnation is incompatible with the teachings of Jesus. Chew on that while you wail and moan in the city center, shouting to the heavens about your "belief" in god.

And then depart. Your creator never knew you at all.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by 0zzymand0s]


I believe in God, I don't believe in the church at all it changed most of the original message, changed the original sabbath day from Sathurday to Sunday... Added a bunch of deadly sins that THEY thought were bad and took about 30 books out of the original bible to reflect what they wanted God to be like...

God gave you 10 commandments which goes along the line of how to be a good person... don't steal, don't cheap, don't kill and so on... Does that make you a slave? Or is that the type of life you cherish???

Do you have children??? Do you want your children to love you??? Does that makes your children your slaves because you want them to love you???

If you children starts to call your neighbor daddy isn't it not going to hurt you and piss you off??? Aren't you going to try to tell me who's their real dad or are you going to let them believe your neighbor's daddy???

If you see your neighbor walking toward a 25 feet deep hole, are you going to try to steer him off of it??? or should to let him pursue his path and break his face???

[edit on 7-7-2010 by _R4t_]



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_
I believe in God, I don't believe in the church at all it changed most of the original message, changed the original sabbath day from Sathurday to Sunday... Added a bunch of deadly sins that THEY thought were bad and took about 30 books out of the original bible to reflect what they wanted God to be like...

God gave you 10 commandments which goes along the line of how to be a good person... don't steal, don't cheap, don't kill and so on... Does that make you a slave? Or is that the type of life you cherish???

Do you have children??? Do you want your children to love you??? Does that makes your children your slaves because you want them to love you???

If you children starts to call your neighbor daddy isn't it not going to hurt you and piss you off??? Aren't you going to try to tell me who's their real dad or are you going to let them believe your neighbor's daddy???

If you see your neighbor walking toward a 25 feet deep hole, are you going to try to steer him off of it??? or should to let him pursue his path and break his face???

[edit on 7-7-2010 by _R4t_]

Way to not talk about any of his points and instead talk about the commandments.
Why not talk about how the first three are about the God being a jealous god?
Ofcourse there's going to be some good rules, but do you need a book to tell you that? If it wasn't for the bible, would you do all those things you listed?
Personally, I find Do unto others a fantastic rule of thumb, I just think it was written by men, not a god who likes to mess about with little humans on a tiny rock.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by hippomchippo]



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   




Lets use this child argument for a second. Would a father drown all of his children in a massive flood? Would a father command his own children to stone the other children? What kind of father is a mass murder?



posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by randyvs
 


Yeah, you're right! It's so much easier to make outrageous statements about God if you don't feel obliged to back it up with facts.

I prefer not to be a blind obedient sheep...I need facts


A slap in the face from God himself wouldn't bring you to obedience.
Your ma and pa never taught it to you so it's not in you. I'm surprised you actually touched on it even. You get a cookie.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by randyvs]


Excellent point Sir, you're doing a great job at defending and backing up your viewpoint


Thx for the cookie



new topics




 
36
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

log in

join