It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL Chupacabras

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Have you heard of the Chupacabra ("goat sucker")? You probably have; it's gained tons of popularity in the last decade because the Internet spread the stories around quite quickly.

If it's the Chupacabra you've been learning about, then you've been pretty much learning wrong. First things first, the name's not even correct. According to the original reports of the creature in Puerto Rico of 1995, it was called a Chupacabras, with an S on the end, plural and singular.

You probably know that the Chupacabras feeds on the blood of livestock, too. Sorry to say, you're pretty much wrong about that too. Originally, Chupacabras fed on the milk of goats' utters. Hence the name "goat sucker".

If you already knew this, congratulations, you're a true cryptozoologist. If you didn't know this, don't blame yourself; most people don't. But why were people being told these myths?

The first true reports of Chupacabras took place in Puerto Rico in 1995. They were about, 4 feet tall, skinny, hairy, stood on two feet, had scaly skin, huge lidless red or yellow eyes, spikes going down their spine, two long fangs, muscular hind legs, a slit for a mouth without lips, and clawed hands; resembling a gargoyle in a way. Puerto Ricans believed Chupacabras to be either extraterrestrials, or a product a genetic experiment from the El Yunque mountains by the US government. Over time, legends of the creature spread to Mexico and Latin America. When the stories spread, so did false information. The name "goat sucker" was confused, and people would say they sucked blood from goats, not their milk, and that caught on. And when people saw the word "Chupacabras" they immediately thought there was an S on the end because it was plural, unaware that it was also singular.

People in Mexico and Latin America now had this information: there was blood sucking monster among them called the "Chupacabra". When livestock was found dead, drained of its blood, they naturally blamed the "Chupacabra". The Chupacabras seen here looked like mangy coyotes with fangs and a disproportional body. I believe that this is not the Chupacabras of Puerto Rico, but possibly an entirely new blood-sucking cryptid. Sightings of this cryptid continue to this day, although they were most popular in 1996, the year after Puerto Rican Chupacabras were fist seen. As for the Puerto Rican Chupacabras, they are seen very rarely these days. Maybe they went back to their own planet, or the government got rid of them.

How did I come across this information? Loren Coleman, the worlds current leading cryptozoologist himself. He told me about this at first when I visited his museum, the International Cryptozoology Museum, in Portland, Maine. Then I did a little more research myself to help support the claim.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by nicolee123nd]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Any pictures of this Chupacabra / Chupacabras ?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

This one intrigues me..

Couldn't resist...

Not meant to make light of your post either. While I already know about the Chup, your post was informative and I appreciate it!

If ya do a search here, you will find more info too.

Peace

[edit on 3-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

Sure.

Puerto Rican Chupacabras:

Mexican/Latin American "Chupacabra":

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

Any pictures of this Chupacabra / Chupacabras ?

The Chupacabras have started spread around the world & evolve to suit their new environments. In Australia there are two new speices of the Chupacabras

The Goobledok
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/721a6fa3edd0.jpg[/atsimg]

The John Howard
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/16ed7c2f4bd7.jpg[/atsimg]

Of course I could be wrong & this just one new variant of the species after all, because both pictures look very much alike when examined closely.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by acrux]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It goes back much farther than 1995. I can remember an early 1960's episode of BONANZA where mention was made of chupacabras.
So the shows writers either made it up then, or referenced something from even earlier.

Goatsuckers on Bonanza

[edit on 7-10-2010 by groingrinder]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
That's a very old fake, from what I know, it's either a deer, or completely photoshopped in, I used to have the original back in like 04 lol.

[Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]

Mod Edit: Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2010/7/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks for starting this thread.
It has become quite annoying seeing people refer to the "hairless dog" animals as Chupacabras.
Ill be interested to see where this thread goes.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The first image you've shown I will keep an open mind to, although the second one's rear end looks simlar to a donkey and the head could simply be distortion due to movement of the animal when the photo was taken.

The third is a dog, a dog that fell victim to mange before it died. Possibly a domestic dog gone wild, or a dog/coyote cross, I don't doubt this happens from time to time.

The second image looks more like a hooved animal than a carnivore, the way it's running is more reminisent of a donkey or zebra than a dog like creature.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

The one with the elongated head is taken directly from a live police video. Pretty creepy actually!! xD

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Lol. You should check out monster quest.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

Could we please stop all the pictures of dogs with mange? It's getting so ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Ive always enjoyed lookin into cryptids but the chupacabras has never been one of my favourites, it seems like every picture turns out to be a mangey dog or racoon. The same with the montauk monster, every beach in America seems to have had one of them washed onto its shores.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

Yeah poor babies being locked up. :[

However, i understand that its needed for examination but they'll probably hurt it with their tests. Anyways, yes that is what was shown on monster quest

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyMe777
Lol. You should check out monster quest.

Actually I did see the "Chupacabra" episode of MonsterQuest. Pshh...they can't even spell the name correct (missing the S!)

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LuckyMe777

...Most of them are already dead

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Thats because for some reason those animals have been labeled as Chupacabras.

Im not really sure where this believe originated, id like to know.

Cheers

top topics

join