It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Make Immune Cells in Mice That Fight Off HIV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
G'Day ATS,

Just found this and thought I'd share it with you all.

Scientists Make Immune Cells in Mice That Fight Off HIV

Research in mice suggests that scientists may have a new lead on using gene therapy against the virus that causes AIDS.

The researchers tinkered with human stem cells and then inserted them into mice where they multiplied into immune system cells that provided protection against infection with HIV, according to a study released online July 2 in Nature Biotechnology.

The results are unlike typical research in animals because the mice have been "humanized": They have human immune systems and resisted a human disease. Still, until research is conducted on humans, there's no way to know if the treatment will work in people. And it may be years until that happens.

But there are high hopes. "It's a one-shot treatment if it works," noted study co-author Paula Cannon, associate professor of molecular microbiology at the University of Southern California.

This is quite exciting, although we've probably seen claims like this before, only to never hear about them again!!

Nonetheless, definitely worth posting.

All the best ATS, Kiwi

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is really neat. For those of us who know someone close with HIV we look every day for signs something like this might happen. I am hopeful that it does sooner rather than later. However, being a member of ATS I also have the conspiracy slant on things. I firmly believe that it's much better for the drug companies profits to prolong the treatment rather than offer the cure.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
This is really neat. For those of us who know someone close with HIV we look every day for signs something like this might happen. I am hopeful that it does sooner rather than later. However, being a member of ATS I also have the conspiracy slant on things. I firmly believe that it's much better for the drug companies profits to prolong the treatment rather than offer the cure.

I agree, on all counts. Especially about Big Pharma and their motives and intentions regarding "cures" and treatments for some of the worlds biggest killers.

I guess the fact that this treatment costs $100,000 may make it more tempting to the Pharma Companies, although this is probably less than the cost of a lifetime of anti-virals.

All the best, kiwi!

[edit on 3-7-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Great news. Not only could this be the cure to HIV, it could revolutionize anti-viral drugs for other terrible afflictions.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
We do a lot of experiments on mice. I always hear about all these advances that they've made that work on mice that could better humanity, but never see the light of day.

With our knowledge of mice it seems like we could make some pretty awesome mice.

I, for one, welcome our new mice overlords and want then to know that I only ever buy those humane traps.

top topics

join