It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Islam need better public relations?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Despite common misconception, the number one brand in today's consumerist society appears to be religion, not Coca-Cola

What are the biggest brands in the world today? Is it Google, Coca-Cola, Apple or Microsoft? In commercial terms, that may be true. However, in terms of human impact and social and political importance, religions are today’s real global super brands. In 2008, Gallup conducted a poll across 143 countries and territories asking whether religion was an important part of daily life. The median who said religion is important in their daily lives was 82%. By comparison, Coca-Cola is the world’s number one brand and daily consumption of their products totals 1 billion – only 20% of the world population.

Full article

If you are to take this blogger's view, then religion is the biggest brand in the world and Islam is certainly one of the fastest growing religions. After 9/11, being Muslim has taken on a whole new meaning and the worlds' perception of the faith invokes very emotional views.

Is the media to blame for the many misconceptions surrounding Islam or do Muslims need to do a better job at explaining the true nature of the faith?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

Despite common misconception, the number one brand in today's consumerist society appears to be religion, not Coca-Cola

What are the biggest brands in the world today? Is it Google, Coca-Cola, Apple or Microsoft? In commercial terms, that may be true. However, in terms of human impact and social and political importance, religions are today’s real global super brands. In 2008, Gallup conducted a poll across 143 countries and territories asking whether religion was an important part of daily life. The median who said religion is important in their daily lives was 82%. By comparison, Coca-Cola is the world’s number one brand and daily consumption of their products totals 1 billion – only 20% of the world population.

Full article

If you are to take this blogger's view, then religion is the biggest brand in the world and Islam is certainly one of the fastest growing religions. After 9/11, being Muslim has taken on a whole new meaning and the worlds' perception of the faith invokes very emotional views.

Is the media to blame for the many misconceptions surrounding Islam or do Muslims need to do a better job at explaining the true nature of the faith?

There is no 'true nature' to there faith. the koran(the muslim bible) orders them to kill all who dont convert to islam.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

The media hasn't affected my view of this at all.

When a muslim fills his pockets with ball bearings and nails, and quietly walks into a mosque, bus, coffee shop etc etc etc, and detonates killing and dismembering dozens of people... well I get the jist of it.

Edit to add:

And even then you may say that "islam is a peaceful religion", it's still a inappropriate reply because with a contradictory book telling you that it's all about peace, then reading only a few paragraphs later too "take an eye for an eye, a life for a life", and that you shall cut off the hands and feet for those who are against Allah or his apostles... and I could go on, but all you need do is read the Quran.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Republican08]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

But not every Muslim is a suicide bomber and not every Muslim harbours extremist thoughts. With the thousands of cases of child abuse in the Catholic Church we should be equally chastising of the few guilty priests as we are of the few Muslims who take extreme action.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by proudcaptalist

There are many different interpretations of Islam. Many different roads to faith if you will. The question is: Do you right off a complete faith as extremist because certain factions perform abhorrent acts?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

To take a balanced view, the Old Testament believes in an eye-for-an-eye.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

But not every Muslim is a suicide bomber and not every Muslim harbours extremist thoughts. With the thousands of cases of child abuse in the Catholic Church we should be equally chastising of the few guilty priests as we are of the few Muslims who take extreme action.

I am just as critical of the church, I think it's downright disgusting, and I am astonished every time someone proudly admits to being a catholic! That they would be proud to associate themselves with pedophiles and protectors of pedophiles.

Not every Muslim is a suicide bomber, but when these suicide bombers detonate, their mosque, friends, and family celebrate because he can now bring 70 people with him to heaven, they need not be martyrs for they have received vicariously through the suicide bomber eternal bliss.

The more people accept and/or condone this religion.... (or any religion IMO) the worse it will become.

It's stupid and atrocious to blow yourself up in a crowded train, but if you're doing it for your religion, well you need not look far for supporters!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I take your opinion based on your feelings for the church and understand how you feel with regard to the actions of a few.

I am more open minded when it comes to Islam, because my only real introduction and subsequent understanding of the faith came after 9/11 when it was thrust into the spotlight. I do believe Islam has had a bad press and wouldn't judge the faith on its extremist factions.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Where in teh Koran does it say that?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I do think moderate Muslims need to shout louder, and denounce what others do in the name of their faith.

I am not Catholic ( a Buddhist) but most decent Catholics I know are outspoken about the abuse carried out by so called Catholics.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

The bible could easily be construed the same way. Funny how people only see what they want to see.

anywhooooo

The only arguement taht I see here is that most countries associate with a religion of some kind. If things are worse then others as many like to claim, it does'nt provide much proof that the answer to the world's problems is that we need more prayer in school. Maybe we need less religion.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

If you die fighting for Allah, you'll be rewarded in heaven. 3:157

Believers fight for Allah; disbelievers fight for the devil. So fight the minions of the devil. 4:76

If the unbelievers do not offer you peace, kill them wherever you find them. Against such you are given clear warrant. 4:91

Have no unbelieving friends. Kill the unbelievers wherever you find them. 4:89

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Kind of agree. Less prayer more education to get a full picture. As Dizzylizzy said, perhaps Muslims should be more vocal in condemning the violent interpretations of their faith. It is disturbing to know that the media all relish a good extreme Islam story. Those headlines sell a lot of papers.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The bible could easily be construed the same way. Funny how people only see what they want to see.

anywhooooo

The only arguement taht I see here is that most countries associate with a religion of some kind. If things are worse then others as many like to claim, it does'nt provide much proof that the answer to the world's problems is that we need more prayer in school. Maybe we need less religion.

What does the bible have to do with anything in this thread? The thread is about Islam.... not the bible..... and I'm just as eager to criticize the bible.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Believers fight for Allah; disbelievers fight for the devil. So fight the minions of the devil. 4:76

If the unbelievers do not offer you peace, kill them wherever you find them. Against such you are given clear warrant. 4:91

My ignorance here, but is this a universally accepted translation and interpretation of certain passages in the Koran?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It wouldn't hurt and would certainly go a long way to fighting the other PR machines that take every opportunity to lie and twist the truth about Islam and its people to use people's fear of the unknown and the relatively miniscule number of radicals who exist in every religion and region? They could start by screaming about the holocaust that took place in Afghanistan and Iraq and killed 2 Muslim million people...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

My ignorance here, but is this a universally accepted translation and interpretation of certain passages in the Koran?

To be honest I'm not sure, I have the quran in a few translations on my smart phone.

I can get it in whichever translation you like though.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Scripture is always in the mind of the beholder. I do believe that Islam has been hijacked to some degree and feel that their faith is being misrepresented. As stated in a previous post, I am not religious but believe we are being sold a very biased version of Islam by the media.

I would also like to see Muslims speak out more. Lucidity mentioned any interesting topic of discussion and one with solid foundation.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
In terms of PR it's a disaster.

Look at the treatment of Parker and Stone (South Park).
No religion has any right to interfere with "comedy".

If you can't take it, don't give it.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The true nature of Islam is world domination. Islam is planting seeds in every country for the future. Islam is the future, get use to it and shed any silly ideas of freedom and democracy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join