It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking USDA Report! Food Shortages: Wall Street 'Caught Off Guard' by Severity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

I love to eat Chicken,Beef and Pork and will continue to eat it. I don't have any plans to become a vegetarian.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Its not the charts that are strange, it is the market manipulation behind the prices increase and falls. This should give a bigger picture of what is happening:

Until deregulation, the price for food was set by the forces of supply and demand for food itself. (This was already deeply imperfect: it left a billion people hungry.) But after deregulation, it was no longer just a market in food. It became, at the same time, a market in food contracts based on theoretical future crops – and the speculators drove the price through the roof.

Here's how it happened. In 2006, financial speculators like Goldmans pulled out of the collapsing US real estate market. They reckoned food prices would stay steady or rise while the rest of the economy tanked, so they switched their funds there. Suddenly, the world's frightened investors stampeded on to this ground.

So while the supply and demand of food stayed pretty much the same, the supply and demand for derivatives based on food massively rose – which meant the all-rolled-into-one price shot up, and the starvation began. The bubble only burst in March 2008 when the situation got so bad in the US that the speculators had to slash their spending to cover their losses back home.

When I asked Merrill Lynch's spokesman to comment on the charge of causing mass hunger, he said: "Huh. I didn't know about that." He later emailed to say: "I am going to decline comment." Deutsche Bank also refused to comment. Goldman Sachs were more detailed, saying they sold their index in early 2007 and pointing out that "serious analyses ... have concluded index funds did not cause a bubble in commodity futures prices", offering as evidence a statement by the OECD.
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Have you ever heard of The National Inflation Association?
I had never...till today.

The video details how store shelves can be emptied in a matter of hours if there is an emergency.

A timely wake up call.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by ArMaP

All the links are there, you can check them all. I checked each one, and all the dates are with in the last several days, the USDA report was just issued end of June 2010. I too was taken aback at the information, that is why I posted it. Please feel free to debunk if you can.

burn - i started reading the report, but the first page is all about *increases* in wheat production, and rice production. true, corn production was down. so i got a mixed read on the report. am i missing something?

it would be nice to have a summary of it .. is there one?

thanks in advance ..

[edit on 23-7-2010 by upstateman]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
There is not a food shortage.

Food is wielded by those in power to cow the populace.

Obedience = Food
Disobedience = Execution by the State

Farmers know how to grow enough to feed the planet. Politicians and the elite ruin it because they are greedy.

When there is no food: Eat the Rich.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
There is not a food shortage.

bs

Food is wielded by those in power to cow the populace.

Obedience = Food
Disobedience = Execution by the State

Farmers know how to grow enough to feed the planet. Politicians and the elite ruin it because they are greedy.

When there is no food: Eat the Rich.

Of course farmers know how to grow a lot of food.
Yes, we do have an inefficient system setup, but the fact remains that as it is, we're in for food shortages sometime in the next few years, probably by the end of the year. It's not as if there are millions of tons of food being hidden from the people so that they'll just starve.
Read through some of the facts, first. This U99 fungus could cause enough damage to wipe out millions in itself.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
It's not as if there are millions of tons of food being hidden from the people so that they'll just starve.
Read through some of the facts, first. This U99 fungus could cause enough damage to wipe out millions in itself.

It would be wise to assume that if I store away food so would the others.
Although I do not have tons I have enough for 4 people to be comfortable for awhile.
And yes a fungus could wipe out a bunch of things.
I store plastic wrap and tape for my WROL greenhouse.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Oh sure I get that. I just meant that it's not a centralized source that the UN is hiding from the people. It seems the above poster was hinting at something along those lines. They pay the farmers not to grow, but still. This has been going on for decades. That's not necessarily the issue these days. It's more that humans are mucking up the environment/ecosystem in a myriad of ways, and the repercussions of our poor decisions are about to kick a lot of our asses!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join