It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome To Hell- British Helmetcam Video Of Afghanistan Firefight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This is a video the Sun posted, pretty dramatic stuff. I can't remember seeing any helmetcam footage like this, sorta gives you an idea of what it's like to be there.

B Company is pinned down in an open field, as the Taliban launch a deadly ambush from three sides. The highly trained soldiers stay as low as possible, as they work out where the incoming fire is coming from.

This is the source/video link: Welcome To Hell

A British soldier gets hit around 2:00, warning- it's bloody. He does survive and rejoins the company soon after.

EDIT: to fix link

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Signals]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
What did he get hit with?

Ive seen more damage from a 2.2 pellet gun.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Whether you agree with the occupation or not, that is some cool footage! I never knew they even had helmet cams. I bet Reality TV in Iraq and Afghanistan is just around the corner.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
He escaped with a scratch on his face(3 stitches).

I dont think he was actually hit by a round, maybe shrapnel(sp).

Damn, those guys had NO COVER at all. This is afghanistan, where are all the mountains?
jk.

No, but seriously, where are all the mountains?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Great footage. Maybe it was deflected from the ground, thus not so much damage to the face.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Yeah I had the same thought...it seems like they're sitting ducks out there.

I know very little about strategies and such. I also had the same "where are the mountains" question

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
yeah he was just grazed with something, shrapnel, bullet whatever.. interesting footage tho. afghanistan is nothing like iraq and the taliban are more insurgent and less terrorist in their actions. i also think they are more competant than the iraqi insurgents.. unless ur in kabul, every post, base is isolated, vunerable to attack. iraq was more of an urban environment, afghanistan is much more rural... mountainous, desert craziness...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
These guys are down south in Helmand province, west of Kandahar city.

1st Mercians

Malgir, Helmand

This isn't the eastern mountain parts of A/stan, this is the desert region of the south. The Talibans heartland. The guys have been taking a beating lately too it seems. Canada has been in this region for the last 5 years or so. Tough place to fight.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Makes me quite proud to hear the scouse accent there.

Our boys are brave, brave buggers

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Wow...umm...how about some portable cover? Is this the way the modern military fights? Lying down for the enemy to shoot at? Why is there a ground war in the first place?

Ritual sacrifice...

[edit on 3-7-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Too right they are, I might not agree with all the reasons why we are there but its not easy for anyone out there.

What I was surprised woth was how calm they were, apart from shouting medic. Shows how close the line is between life and death sometimes.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Where was aircover? WTH were these guys doing in a spot with no cover and no armored vehicles? This smacks of a setup to get dramatic footage to me. Cpl. Smith was hit by a rock I believe. Sturdy soul to back on patrol the next day. Brave men these, I salute them all even though I disagree with the pretext of why they are there in the first place.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I think it was a surprise ambush by all accounts.

But either way, they showed remarkable calmness and dedication to each other - i bet the adrenaline levels were through the roof

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Firstly since when do they go out fighting with helmet cams? I can understand in an urban fight so they can see what is around corners but open fields, what's the point?

Then there is the actual shooting. This guy is on the multi-purpose machine gun and gets hit in the face by a stone chip, probably; and what does he do? rolls straight off his position and leaves his colleague vulnerable.

We hear him screaming I'm hit I'm hit like he is calling for his mum to come and take him off the playground because the other boys are being too rough. I mean come on what are they training now; this guy must have come from the Dancing school for nancies. His wound required just three (3) stitches, I required four stitches when i cut myself sharpening a kitchen knife. Know what I didn't do, roll around on the floor shouting I'm hit I'm hit and allowing a fellow chef to kneel up so that his head is 2-3 higher than everyone else right in the line of fire of all those enemy kitchen fairies.

Talking of which, when the medic has his head that high up, how come he does not get hit by all those bullets that are being fired at them from three side. I know the enemy probably does not have a very good boot camp, but from what we are told these guys are trained to roll around the floor in pyjamas wearing black masks and shooting AK47 at anything that move.

I mean they can take over a plane with 100 people on board with nothing more than a box cutter!!!! Scary people right, yet not one of them can hit the medic while he spends all that time propped up taking care of the nancy boy super soldier!

Also note that when Nancy screams like a girl, his fellow soldier does not see the need to grab the machine gun, but goes to his friends aid. If the situation was that bad he would have taken over the machine gun position, and let us not forget that this comes from the SUN newspaper the most ridiculous excuse for a newspaper any down and out welfare grabbing bottom feeder has had the misfortune of being forced to look at the pictures (they can't read very well, that's why all the pictures and video).

This is nothing more than propaganda!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
lol hadnt any of the soldiers got any binoculars?.. Also the ak47 isnt very accurate at long range....Also why didnt they have any smoke bombs?? I would have thought smoke bombs would be mandatory for situations like this. Besides it seems to me there wasnt that many enemy there. Anyway as far as I am concerned if you invade another mans country expect to be shot at....

Also I wouldnt call this hell more like a walk in the park if you compare it to DDay.

[edit on 3/7/2010 by loner007]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

Firstly since when do they go out fighting with helmet cams? I can understand in an urban fight so they can see what is around corners but open fields, what's the point?

Why do people make movies or take pictures?

It's just a soldier that strapped his camcorder to his helmet to capture some action.

They have been doing it for years.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

Agreed, more or less. It's the Sun (big surprise) who is making this out to far more than it really is.

Cant blame the solider for freaking out, but it clearly was just a stone or a ricochet. The Sun blows it out of proportion to sell more ad space.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
No disrespect to the men and women fighting in afghanastan, but what a clever ploy by the MOD or who ever thought up this piece, they make it look like CODMW it looks just a game the way the camera is lined up along the gun, then a guy gets shot and suddenly just like a game hes patched up and back in the fight what a recruit ment video for young impressionable teens or younger make war look like your favorite game make it look like your gona be all right if you get shot

new topics

top topics

join