It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates tightens interview rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Gates tightens interview rules

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Robert Gates ordered military officials Friday to get Pentagon clearance for interviews and other media contacts after President Barack Obama fired the top general in Afghanistan for embarrassing comments in a magazine article.

Gates' order, which is effective immediately, tells officials to make sure they are not going out of bounds or unintentionally releasing information that the Pentagon wants to hold back.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
hmmm. all i can think about is a media blackout. that and a loss of freedom of speech. i just question the claims that this is not an iron curtain.

"We were not happy with the content, and we were not happy that we didn't know about it," Assistant Defense Secretary Douglas Wilson said this week.

that quote cracked me up
What do yall thing about this

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
What do I think?

I think Gen McChrystal knew exactly what he was doing and did it for a reason.

Good luck Petraeus this is your mess to deal with now.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
People who have been soldiers already know that once you sign up for the military, you give away a certain amount of freedom of speech. As a soldier, you are to NEVER speak out against the CIC or US Gov't.

When I was in Desert Storm, we were told what we were allowed to say if ever interviewed by a reporter. That is all you are allowed to say. Nothing more, nothing less. When you sign that contract, you sign over your freedom of public address.

It always has been, it always will be. Gen McChrystal knew this. He made his public address statements of his own according, knowing full well that it would end his career.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Correct you are Sir.
I remember them always saying to us
"get our platoon sergeant or commanding officer to answer any questions comming from reporters, journalists, what have you. And that if you DO speak to them, tokeep it very simple, and to the point without making an ass out of the military, and yourself."

"Shut up". thats basically the militaries rule on everything.

A little more on topic- I saw this report earlier this evening on Fox news.

Something is definately fishy, I dont like it one bit. Something big could be going down here soon enough. The only time we have blackouts like this is when they have got something planned, and dont want it ruined by outside influences(if that makes sense).

Dont you all know, the Pentagon can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants, however it wants.

Edit-CG

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

That's nothing, in Romania they are planning to pass a bill that will not allow the media to present articles about the corruption of politicians. Also they will not be allowed to post articles about the family of the politicians.

So it can be worse.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by randel

well, i would understand a law that said it was unlawful to report on the underage family members behaviors. Now, you make the behavior distinction to allow things like parental abuse to still be reported on.

but ideally, there are absolutely no limits on the press other than their own common sense.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
so telling everyone how many nukes we have is ok, but embarassing obama is not?

sure, great

top topics

join