It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian spies true identities revealed! This just in!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...
snippet from news source below:
"A letter from prosecutors opposing bail for the suspects said that the man known as Michael Zottoli is really a Russian named Mikhail Kutzik. The government also said the woman known as Patricia Mills is a Russian citizen named Natalia Pereverzeva."

The plot thickens! I'm glad were getting to the bottom of this conspiracy though!

Another snippet from news source below:
"The government document also said searches of the couple's home and two safe-deposit boxes they rented revealed that they contained cash, passports and other identity documents bearing their false identities. Investigators said they found $80,000 in one of the safe-deposit boxes. It was divided into eight unmarked envelopes, each of which contained $10,000 in what appeared to be new $100 bills, they said."

Where did this money come from? The Russian government itself?

I recommend you click on the link and read the whole thing yourself, and when your done, then comment. But you can do whatever doesn't matter to me!

XxRagingxPandaxX

[edit on 2-7-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Another thing to add: snippet from news source below:
"Prosecutors said that the couple waived their rights to remain silent"

psshhhhh what rights? They have none in my eyes! Their Russian spies!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Sorry, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. Almost every country has spies working under some capacity in foreign countries.

To quote Sun Tzu in The Art Of War:

Spies
Are a key element
In warfare.
On them depends
An army's
Every move

I can understand the American people being upset about the discovery of spies, but surely you realise that they are a key part in every Military, Political, Economic and Humanitarian movement active today? You can bet the US has numerable spies in Russia, so why expect your opponent to not do the same?

Personally, I think the US handled this the wrong way, going for quick sensationalism rather then having a well thought out plan. Sun Tzu again:

Enemy spies,
Come to spy on us,
Must be sought out,
Bribed,
Won over,
Well accommodated.
Then they can be
Employed as
Double agents.

Does the US Govt. even read this book anymore?

[edit on 2/7/10 by shamus78]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX

So where would you like the 5th amendment to end?

Should we start torturing "terrorists" if they refuse to talk?

Perhaps we should take the 5th amendment rights away from paedophiles and drug dealers.

Do we know for sure these are really spies and not a government agenda?

What about innocent until proven guilty?

Be more careful next time before you make naive statements like that.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

So what exactly are you suggesting we do? Here's your ticket go home.
Just give them run of our secrets.
Ignore the fact that people can die for what they know and pass on.

Yes, We have spies working full time too, You want us to just list their names in the local paper and ask the Government there to give them what they ask for,,

Yes, Sun Tzu The Art Of War was required reading.
Spies are a fact of life, all nations have and use them to the maximum of their capabilities.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

psshhhhh what there has never been USA spys? They have none in your eyes!

[edit on 2-7-2010 by acrux]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'm sure that Moscow could just as easily collect all of the spies the US and NATO have operating in Russia and make a spectacle of it too. This is nothing new. This group just happened to get caught and put on display. In a few weeks or months they will likely work out a captured spy exchange or some other deal and this story will be collecting dust in the archives somewhere.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Should we start torturing "terrorists" if they refuse to talk?

They already do. Remember a little thing called "waterboarding" at Hotel Guantanamo Bay. Oh that's right, waterbording isn't torture because Dubya said it wasn't, sorry my bad.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by acrux]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I wonder when Russia finds a gaggle of American spies in Moscow and parades them around for a media frenzy? These things tend to end up in tit-for-tat showdowns.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

Ya I agree, but it is still pretty interesting, don't you think?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

So what exactly are you suggesting we do? Here's your ticket go home. Just give them run of our secrets. Ignore the fact that people can die for what they know and pass on.

Hi Guohua,

Personally? I'd monitor and intercept their methods of communication and use that to my advantage. Use this method to spread disinfo both to and from the spies. I would not let their full communications be transmitted to Russia, rather intercept, distort and feed false info to them.

What you had was a unique opportunity to observe and learn the methods being employed. The knowledge gained from such a method would have been more useful then information gained thru direct interrogation.

You could have learnt so much from watching and listening to them. I'd try to discreetly waive their viewpoints and try to slowly win them over to your side. Remember, they are surrounded by your society, and you had them contained. I'd use a feather touch rather then an iron fist.

Though it's easy for me to say, not having connections with either the US or Russia.

Cheers
Shane

Edit to add: It's good you guys still read The Art Of War. I had heard a rumour it was dropped from the required reading list of the U.S Military and Govt because to many passages directly conflicted with the methods used presently by the Mil/Govt.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

There have been American spies, o wait that could be Canada and Mexico too right? And thats just North America, much less all of south America (their also Americans). And many have paid the price in blood, it is truly unfortunate to me that they did, but they knew the risk going in, spies aren't treated nicely, never have been never will, it's part of the job!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

Hello, shamus78
And you think they didn't. After 10 years of monitoring and infiltrating you don't think they did just that.
When it becomes a situation they no longer can control the out come too, it's time to shut them down.
Contacts are cultivated and turned, they will not be prosecuted or if they are, they'll go in the W.I.T.S.E.C. program.

Spies come and go, I truly believe she was becoming and problem, a liability to the group.

Any way, just my thoughts, What do I know, I'm nobody.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Maybe it's just viral marketing for the new movie
"Salt -In Theaters July 2010
Angelina Jolie stars in 'Salt,' a contemporary espionage thriller about a CIA agent who is accused of being a Russian spy and becomes a federal fugitive."
or strange timing at the very least. Why is russia being rebranded as an enemy again?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Spies come and go, I truly believe she was becoming and problem, a liability to the group. Any way, just my thoughts

That's a very good possibility.

And don't worry, I'm a nobody too!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

www.cnn.com...

read this if you haven't already

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

We already DO torture terrorist, pedophiles and drug dealers have nothing to do with spies, yes they are spies, the Russian government admitted to it! They are guilty the Russian government has taken full responsibility, be more careful when you make uneducated criticisms.

source: www.time.com...

I recomend you read the whole thing

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by shamus78
Personally, I think the US handled this the wrong way, going for quick sensationalism rather then having a well thought out plan. Sun Tzu again:

That's one of the big questions about this whole thing. We had these spies well under surveillance for a long time. We knew what their moves were, we knew what information they were passing, etc. This wasn't a group we normally would have revealed and so what some are saying is that the real intrigue here isn't that there were Russian spies, as you said that's to be expected. The real intrigue is why someone in OUR government decided it was time to roll these guys up.

Something else is going on with this case that hasn't been revealed and it might have to do with some sort of internal powerplay or politics in our own government or within our own spy agencies. These guys should not have been arrested, it actually probably hurts our operations since we already had these guys under close observation and knew their codes and knew what they were doing. That's a much more advantageous situation for us than just rounding them up.

None of these guys were really actively spying themselves, they were more like assets in the field, people whom other spies go to for aid, succor, information or money drops, etc. In them we had a tap on the stream of information between field agents and the Kremlin.

I don't know. it's a strange case and it might be a long time before what exactly happened is well understood by the public, if ever.

Incidentally, one of the places some of these spies used to meet is a coffee shop around the corner from the home I'm currently staying at (watching the place for a friend). Apparently their coffee isn't very good, though. Still, I might give it a try tomorrow.

[edit on 7/2/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
What year is this?

There are more spies both elected to & appointed to government positions than anywhere.
Much of the most modern activity is by bounty. "Be on the lookout for" type requests, not missions. Just objectives up for grabs and handsome rewards posted.

Any country NOT employing spies is probably on another planet, not earth.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

ya their will always be terrorist too, that doesn't mean we have to put up with them!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join