It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Coast Guard Shark Advisory for Northeast" - article

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Just when you thought this was the last time it would be safe to go in to the water...

The link is to myfoxny.com...I see no author listed for me to credit...dated July 2, 2010...

Coast Guard Shark Advisory For Northeast

The U.S. Coast Guard is warning boaters in the Northeast to watch out for sharks this holiday weekend. Authorities have confirmed the presence of great white sharks off the coast of Massachusetts, but the Coast Guard has issued a shark advisory for the entire Northeast coast.

"Predation is not generally a concern for boaters and paddlers in Northeast waters," said Al Johnson, of the First Coast Guard District, based in Boston. "But I have no doubt that a great white shark that swims into your comfort zone would surely find a splashing paddle or dangling hand inviting. I also expect that same passing shark would spend little time differentiating between boater, paddler and prey."

In recent years, sharks seen off the New England coast have been between 6 and 15 feet long. These sharks can capsize a small boat or kayak, the Coast Guard said.

Sharks are attracted to the area by the growing seal population, the Coast Guard said. Shark attacks on humans in the Northeast are rare, but Johnson advises boaters and paddlers to avoid areas where seals are spotted.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I love that one bit... "predation is not generally a concern" is a diplomatic way of saying "people don't think about being eaten"...

I wonder if the great whites will actually predate upon anybody over this holiday...

[edit on 2-7-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

[edit on 2-7-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Why does the shark talk like a substitute teacher?...hmmm...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Sharks are attracted to the area by the growing seal population, the Coast Guard said.

I wonder what the northeastern PETA members think of the seal cull now? For everything there is a reaction. Plainly seen here.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I wonder (besides the increased tasty seals, good point) if the great whites who would normally range in the Gulf of Mexico all said "My mouth tastes like an ashtray, I'm outta here" and took off for cleaner waters, and then some of them are the extra ones the Coast Guard is seeing around Cape Cod...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

[double post, how did that happen, sorry]

[edit on 3-7-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Good point. Those puppies would smell the oil miles away. Let's hope they don't get used to this cold water.

top topics

join