It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

26% of Americans don't know who US fought to gain its independence

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
That's why the founding fathers didn't want a democracy.

Because retards tend to sometimes become a large part of the population and screw everybody else over.

That's also why I would want to see a mandatory test for voting every 8 years.

Don't pass it? You can't vote and you can only take the test once a year.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I could of course make many comments about the intelligence of the average american here but as the old saying goes, people, houses, glass, well you get me here. The UK is the exact same way and it appears that the dumbing down of a generation is well underway.

It's understandable really as the education system is a joke. Examining test papers for the last 10 years (available online) the questions really have gotten easier. That isn't the main problem though.

Learning used to be something that people kept up themselves after they left school/college/university. People carried on reading books for pleasure but now this seems to have changed. The average person seems completely unwilling to learn, they just want to go to work, do their job, come home and watch tv.

I'm not sure what can be done about it, even universities have dropped their standards. Someone i know got into uni with D and E grades..........ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
That's why the founding fathers didn't want a democracy.

Because retards tend to sometimes become a large part of the population and screw everybody else over.

That's also why I would want to see a mandatory test for voting every 8 years.

Don't pass it? You can't vote and you can only take the test once a year.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

Surely such a thing betrays the idea of fair voting. England used to have this kind of system back when only lords and other people with titles and status could vote. It wasn't a good way to go and if you tried it then the tests would get increasingly more difficult, up to the point where maybe 10% of the population would be making the decisions for the other 90%.

Careful what you wish for.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Statistically, 26% of a population has an IQ

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Statistically, 26% of a population has an IQ

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Actually, prior the several ammendments, only landowners could vote in the United States. The founding fathers had the good sense to know that those who contributed to the treasury should make the decisions, and that those who due to poor decision making or lack of work ethic had nothing, would vote to takeaway everyone elses wealth for themselves. This was a much better system. Someone who draws a welfare check should not have a say in the nations economic affairs, much like a bum who eats out of the kindness of others should tell folks how to run a farm.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well 26% of the people in this counttry are not Americans. Yea, and they actually vote.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I think it's a huge difference.

Check out this chart:

Chart

Notice the percentile difference from IQ 67 & IQ76. Wouldn't this mean there's more than 3x as many mentally retarded people, and less than 1/3 the amount with IQ>130 ?

[edit on 3-7-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Are we surprised that the sheeple don't know their Constitution or Bill of Rights but can name all the characters on "The Simpsons", and know who won the championship sporting events for every league, and know all the words to the latest rap song?

This is by design people. The Government don't want the sheeple knowing their rights nor having any interest in them - that way they'd actually realize how many of their rights are trampled on every day.

The average person would rather see a picture of Paris Hilton without her panties on than watch a show about the founding fathers.

I agree with Glenn Beck on this one (and I don't say THAT very often) - I LOVE his "Founding Fathers Fridays".

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ah...dehavilland
On a point of detail the country from which the USA gained its independance is actually called the United Kingdom. 'Great Britain' is actually a geographical name for the largest island in the group of islands known as the British Isles.
No disrespect intended to the OP, rather to the original news source.

A clearer point of detail finds that, the 13 colonies gained their independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain which was established on May 1, 1707. It was a political union of the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of England (Wales was part of the Kingdom of England).
Almost 100 years later (July 2, 1801 and August 1, 1801) the Kingdom of Ireland merged with the Kingdom of Great Britain to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. That event is referred to as the The Acts of Union 1800.

What was it that Paul Revere shouted while running through the town that one night?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ah...dehavilland
On a point of detail the country from which the USA gained its independance is actually called the United Kingdom. 'Great Britain' is actually a geographical name for the largest island in the group of islands known as the British Isles.
No disrespect intended to the OP, rather to the original news source.

Excellent reply, except it's actually "The United Kingdom of Great Britain" (as was called in 1776) if you're gonna get technical. It's now "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

It was created in 1707, so would have been the correct term to use in 1776.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrogolf

Actually, prior the several ammendments, only landowners could vote in the United States. The founding fathers had the good sense to know that those who contributed to the treasury should make the decisions, and that those who due to poor decision making or lack of work ethic had nothing, would vote to takeaway everyone elses wealth for themselves. This was a much better system. Someone who draws a welfare check should not have a say in the nations economic affairs, much like a bum who eats out of the kindness of others should tell folks how to run a farm.

I see so what about those who are physically disabled and claiming benefits? That is a form of welfare isn't it? Yet many of these people are more than intelligent enough to understand the voting system and the political and economic position of a country. As soon as you start singling out large groups of people and saying they are not allowed to vote then the number of groups will increase until eventually most people are not allowed to vote.

This results in a tiny, very powerful minority voting and they will not vote to improve the country, only to improve their own situation.

You are basically betraying the idea of freedom as voting is most assuredly one of the cornerstones of a free society. How free is a society when people are told they have no right to vote and others will be deciding how they live their lives.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It's not stupid, it is just precoccupation. It passes, they get interested in current social affairs around 25+.

The segment of the population referred to was probably targeted for that, lol.

Why so eager to jump on the bandwagon of "Americans are stupid"?

What's the point?
There are lots of words about kids being obese, but nothing about the high-fructose corn syrup in peanut butter and other Kid-Friendly foods.

There is a lot about how Americans are dumb, but nothing about the fluoride in our water, as opposed to most developed countries and nations.

??? Why all the bias?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrogolf

Shall I assume ownership begins as soon as you've taken something from another by force? Might makes right? A theif can vote but a beggar can't?Kinda flys in the face of those founding "Christian" values.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone
It would be dangerous to our current tyrannical government if Americans know that they defeated another tyrannical government in the past.

The public education system and media are working as intended.

i think back then those governments werent tyranical

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I would bet both my nuts that these people voted for Obama too. The ignorant and the blindfolded. Many "Americans" don't even care about this country as it is/was.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

89% in the US believe they have a representative form of government .
95 % still under the impression there are democrats, republicans, liberals, conservatives and the 3rd party of false hope called the Libertarian Party.
They new this Libertarian party wasn't enough so they manufactured another impotent party called the Tea Party.

Where does it end?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALlENATlON
I would bet both my nuts that these people voted for Obama too. The ignorant and the blindfolded. Many "Americans" don't even care about this country as it is/was.

Come on man? Seriously, is Obama the new Godwin's law? Intelligence has nothing to do with their voting trends, location and upbringing does. If we wanna go there though, Republicans hold the majority of the lower intelligence citizens in it's party, with the Democrats holding the majority of the higher intelligence. It has to do with, again, location location location.

Seriously though, do we really need to muckrake political crap into the thread that has nothing to do with it? Aspire for better, for the sake of the quality of this forum, please.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

What should get you thinking is that these are among the 26% of the population who are about to see more of other people's hard earned money transferred to them via tax cuts. More government services, etc...

For the folks who are keen to raise taxes and bemoan the terrible plight of the poor in this country, think about the justice in sending these dolts more of your money.

That will make you happy.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Ha!

Nothing amazing, more than that doesn't even know where the US is on a map or where Canada is.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join