It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

26% of Americans don't know who US fought to gain its independence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
On a point of detail the country from which the USA gained its independance is actually called the United Kingdom. 'Great Britain' is actually a geographical name for the largest island in the group of islands known as the British Isles.
No disrespect intended to the OP, rather to the original news source.

reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
And how many Americans know who William Howe or John Jay are?

10%?

Seriously, the public school system is crappy. And people have no interest in knowledge... just look at those they worship... Paris Hilton...and that kind of non sense.

And seriously, this is BASIC KNOWLEDGE. LIKE FIRST GRADE BASIC.

DEPORT THEM.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
ha i enjoyed the cartoons.

so that is where the phrase "dont shoot till you see the whites of
there eye's"was from general Washington.
learn something new everyday.

dam us pesky red coats LOL.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Wow jokes on american stupidity are that relevant ?
This is not about education. This is common knowledge. UK was the only english speaking country with some power so it's an evidence to know that the US seceded from them. You don't need to go to school to know this. This just shows that they have no learning spirit, no curiosity.

Goog job TPTB! There is absolutely no risk of uprising even if you start putting people into death camps.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Reply to post by ickylevel

As long as those death camps have cable television.

"Wait, don't gas me yet. I need to know who will be this weeks winner!"

Better yet. Make the camps their own reality show. You'll have morons clamoring and clawing to get in.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ickylevel

yep i think there well past any up rising.

that should of taken place around the time Kennedy was shot.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek

Maybe we need a depression and some widespread chaos to knock some sense into the morons that populate this once great nation.

You can't change someone, if they ever revolt it would be because someone more intelligent convince them.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ickylevel

I completely agree with that notion.....And it's unlikely that it'll ever be allowed to happen. All of the major players who look like they could be a leader end up being discredited in the media, or taken out well before they could become a threat. It's a sick sad world.

And Raist, you are undoubtedly correct with your statement that this dumbing down is some sort of world-wide phenomenon...And unfortunately it seems as if America is on the leading edge of being dumb as a box of rocks.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Absolutely pathetic, and horrific, these people seriously don't know why we celebrate the 4th of July? WTF. WTF. WTF. Utterly insane and outrageous. There is more that needs to be added to the list but I will stop there.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Don't worry, although many Americans don't have an IQ above room temperature, they are not alone .. Ignorance is a worldwide pandemic.

For example, very few Australians even know who Edmund Barton was
Most Australians couldn't even pass the tests they make immigrants take for citizenship.

People should have to pass a basic history and aptitude test to be allowed to vote.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
This is not a surprise to me. In fact it is rather common. People are more interested in the latest sex scandal, who won the last sports match, video game consoles, what gadget Steve Jobs has up his sleeves, and other departures from critical thinking and civic responsibilities. In that environment, the government and the politicians are left to run amok as they have for so long.

When I was in elementary school I was taught about the American Revolution and why we fought it, but apparently the adults interviewed for the poll forgot or something? Or maybe they don't care? It is a travesty that important historical events like Independence has been watered down to nothing more than a few political speeches by our leaders and a fireworks display.

Independence Day is far more important than meeting up with family or getting inebriated at a barbecue, but a day commemorating the struggles of British subjects as they did the unthinkable and fought oppression to defeat one of the mightiest empires in the world. Shame on those people from the poll as they bask in ignorance, especially now, when we have the internet and all they have to do is Google the American Revolution, Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution. It is just sheer ignorance and laziness. As they remain ignorant to the past, they are unknowingly opening the door to tyranny and oppression in the future. Here is why we celebrate the 4th of July.

Happy Independence Day!

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Amazing isn't it....... Barack Oborg's plan is one step closer to Assimilation of this once great country with the 26% that have no clue about their country's own history. Unfortunately I think these lemmings are just the beginning of what's to come.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me, there are stupid and/or ignorant people everywhere in the world.
To be fair inEngland I was never taught about Americas independence or how they achieved it.
Funnily enough though I learned of all the British victories over the centuries.

They tech us what they want us to know, nothing more and a hell of a lot less!!

Thank God for sites like this so people have at least a chance of learning.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

What percentage of Americans know we were fighting against the European Bankers for our independence? Some things never change. And I don't think the answer is remotely near 26%.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

I thought it was common knowledge that "One-fourth of the population is retarded"

Don't threat. It's a fact of life.

Saying only 1/4th is way to optimistic. I would put the percentage more around 70% of Americans being extremely ignorant; meatballs rolling around in their own little bowl of sauce.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

26 percent of Americans have no clue what country US fought to gain its independence

The first clue I had about how ignorant many people are was about a year ago when I read this statistic:

1 in 5 Americans believe Sun revolves around the Earth.

I think the statistic in the UK is similar except 1 in 4. How can people in modern society not know such basic things?

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Get me out of here!

That's pretty scary. It's odd how many people pointed to Australia when they named other countries, like Korea. My geography is less than perfect but I always thought Australia was an easy one.

The question about Star Wars being based on a true story is a tough one though. Actually there are a lot of parallels with Nazi Germany and the evil empire so the space stuff is made up but I think parts of the story line do have a basis in history. So if they were trying to portray that as a dumb answer it may have not been so dumb.

Star Wars sources

George Lucas has stated that many historical events have been used in the Star Wars saga, for example, that the Empire was based on Nazi Germany. The stormtroopers from the movies share a name with the Nazi stormtroopers (see also Sturmabteilung). The imperial officers' uniforms also resemble some (historical) German Army uniforms (see Waffen-SS). In addition, some World War II terms may have been used for names in Star Wars; examples include the planets Kessel (a term that refers to a group of encircled forces) and Hoth (Hermann Hoth was a German general). The Great Jedi Purge alludes to the events of The Holocaust. In addition, Lucas has said that he modeled Palpatine and his rise to power after such historical dictators as Julius Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte and Adolf Hitler.[7] Furthermore, Darth Vader's helmet shares a similar appearance with the German Army helmets of World War II.

Originally posted by primus2012
Well, looks like it's time to roll out these old Saturday morning cartoons:

They say "Life, Liberty, and then when they say "pursuit of happiness" they show a woman running for her life being chased by a man? I guess that was "pursuit of happiness" in 1776 but today it's called "stalking"?

That's too funny.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
this isnt surprising. its a combination of modern day ignorance.. the sheeple have no time to know stuff like this, theyre too busy buying cell phones, working, having sex, gettin drunk, leading a soap opera life. and considering how fast the hispanic population in this country is rising, its also ignorance in the fact that alot of americans werent born in america or give a # about it. you can whip out the immigration arguement but those immigrants in previous centuries wanted to be an american. they learned their history, learned english, took english names, learned american way of life... today's immigrants keep their culture, their languages, their ways of life and they dont integrate into the american fabric.. it will eventually lead to our demise...

[edit on 3-7-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Those questions arent that hard ...seems alot of thse people questioned are oblivious too the greater world around them Question: Do american schools teach american history ??

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

We call these "democrats". Although some call themselves "liberals". They have a penchant for spending other peoples money.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere

What percentage of Americans know we were fighting against the European Bankers for our independence? Some things never change. And I don't think the answer is remotely near 26%.

I was taught, that the reason why the Unites States of America fought the Revolutionary war that is boiled down to several reasons: The Britsh empire and France had fought several wars, one being the 7 years war, and then after that, to pay for the wars that had been fought, the British Parliment, in the name of the King, were imposing taxes on the colonies. As there was no representation in the Parliment on the part of the colonies, they started to grumble and boycott the goods that had the taxes on, combined with the lack of rights and abuses on the part of the military against the colonies, led the colonial government to turn around and revolt. Many of the founding fathers started out believing they were good Englishmen, but were quickly found out that the British did not view them as equal.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join