It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

26% of Americans don't know who US fought to gain its independence

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicketyCricket
You say it like you are surprised.

If it isnt on TV, the majority of people wont know. If it doesnt involve some celebrity or even pseudo-celebrities, they wont know. If it wasnt spoon fed to them over and over and over via iPods, MTV, Facebook, and McDonalds, they wouldnt know.

Repetition is how EVERYone learns.

And one in four Americans means infants, lunatics, and otherwise unable to comprehend or elderly, and cannot understand.

Sheesh. Numbers, people, numbers. We don't have a nation of 300 million ADULTS alone, do we?!!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower

And one in four Americans means infants, lunatics, and otherwise unable to comprehend or elderly, and cannot understand.

You're absolutely correct about repetition. Seriously.

But you're wrong about how they 'used' the numbers:

The poll surveyed 1,004 Americans between June 17 and 24. The survey has a margin of error of three percentage points.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Do you KNOW any teenagers???? They turn into 20, 21, etc, all the way to 24 and that's far from serious a lot of the time, lol.

It would embarrass them TO answer correctly. It's the hormones, and the final phases of their brain development, the outer layer, which is responsible for reasoning and logic in them, which is finishing its growth.

lol Have you met them? They are thinking and growing, but also enjoying their freedom, their present, and thoughts of the attention of possible dates, lol.

And clothes. And music. And technology. And independence, but only their own!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Do you KNOW any teenagers???? They turn into 20, 21, etc, all the way to 24 and that's far from serious a lot of the time, lol.

It would embarrass them TO answer correctly. It's the hormones, and the final phases of their brain development, the outer layer, which is responsible for reasoning and logic in them, which is finishing its growth.

Yeah. Actually I do. My brothers are 10 and 15 years younger than me.

You haven't described genetic hormone precursors. Instead you've described social triggers: It isn't cool to be smart.

Smart Is Stupid.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You're absolutely correct about repetition. Seriously.

But you're wrong about how they 'used' the numbers:

The poll surveyed 1,004 Americans between June 17 and 24. The survey has a margin of error of three percentage points.

I want to know how a survey of 1004 people can represent 300,000,000+ with a margin of +/- 3%? I know that some folks are just plain dumb, but it can't be true that 75,000,000 US citizens don't know what Independence Day is about.
A much larger and broader sampling needs to be done to gauge how dumb we are collectively.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I noticed on these videos, that they never show anyone that answers the questions right. I am wondering how many on this website could answer the question of the 'coalition of the willing' without googling it. I can't, and I'm a fairly intelligent person. But then again, I don't pay much attention to propaganda in the first place. The rest were somewhat easy, but then again, I'M not the one on the show. Even if I were, they probably wouldn't show me, because they never show the people that answer the question right...

Chrono

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The King Of England & France, had India, in his sites.

Oh, Thats right the french, fought along side our American brethern..but also swore a duty to the king of England.

The American forefathers where led into court as esquires, not ( noble men ) of standing. This is the part when every American soul was sold on credit!

Whatever was said the English king withdrew from battle along with their own country men and the french to head to India..

History is so full of truth, NOT

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Americans as a whole, are stupid.

There is no denying that.

I cant wait until the suffering begins, people need to feel the consequences of their stupidity.

We continually are forced to live under a criminally corrupt government who demands more and more of our money while restricting more and more of our liberties.

Maybe we need a depression and some widespread chaos to knock some sense into the morons that populate this once great nation.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

they are the reason i hide my american passport when im traveling abroad... *facepalm

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by moarboar8907
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

they are the reason i hide my american passport when im traveling abroad... *facepalm

Haha reminds me of the time that I was living in Prague. On the tram home, I met this very nice woman from Tennessee. When we were passing by a Czech war monument in the form of a torn Czech flag, she remarked to her friend 'hey look at that landmark, it is the US flag'. Other than the colors, the Czech flag doesn't look even closely similar, which made me silently laugh.

Although many Europeans arrogantly perceive Americans as stupid, I have always found the Americans I met to be more polite and friendly than Europeans. Besides, I remember a survey that was conducted in Britain some time ago, which showed that most kids didn't know who was fought during the war nor did they have a clue about Auschwitz - some even thought it was some entertainment park. So the situation on this side of the ocean doesn't look much better.

I guess we should blame our lousy schooling systems which seems to only get worse.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
It probably doesn't really matter. We just proceeded from one form of tyranny to another. It was mostly a matter of where tax dollars went. Rich people using proxies to fight against each other for power and control.

Was there an idea of freedom and equality? Sure! Franklin and others were big on ideals. But reality is reality. Could you tell the difference living in England vs here? Not much. They talk a little different.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
This is who we fought clicky anyone who says different is not an educated individual.
This man was violent.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone
The public education system and media are working as intended.

and that's what i agree with whole heartedly. and i was going to say the same myself, but you beat me to it.

the system doesnt work with thinkers.....it works with drones. DO AS YOUR TOLD, NOT AS YOU THINK!!!!!!

[edit on 3-7-2010 by ahmonrarh]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012
Well, looks like it's time to roll out these old Saturday morning cartoons:

i was actually alarmed when i realized that they stopped showing these as i got older.

and the 1k they sampled from excludes a lot of factors: age, educational background, etc.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Thank the public education system that the teacher's unions claim is so great......

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Further and further down the spiral we go

Collectively, we are a country of effing morons.

You learn about this stuff allllll K-6, and then it is rehashed over and over and OVER during your middle school and high school stints. I don't know why all of these morons are allowed to graduate when they can barely read, let alone tell you ANYTHING about the very country that we live in.

America is doomed.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
america is still under british maritime rule

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Reply to post by mpriebe81

I suspect that you will find simular results around the world. Maybe slightly lower numbers but the same results.

I believe it is society as a whole that is doomed.

Raist

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
well here in the UK me and my friends are having a big old 4th of July party. we're going to cook yank food, dress like yanks, set off fireworks and generally have a big old party. I've got a cool confederate costume and everything. Thanks for turning what I guess was once an important date on your calendar into a worldwide piss up! I guess that's Karma for what you did to Halloween.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I have knowledge of the Revolutionary war because my
ancestors were part of it. The Iroquois Confederacy
was divided.After the Revolutionary war the Iroquois
Confederacy didn't have the power it had before the war.
The Americans decided they needed a buffer zone between
the US and Canada, so they made a treaty with my people
and that's how Akwesasne came into being. You talk about
rights. My people didn't have any rights until 1924.
In 1921 ALCOA needed land for their smelter. My people
had land along the St. Lawrence river that was perfect
for their needs. New York State took it, saying it was
for a future power project. Two of my uncles lost their
farms. They had some money, so they tried to sue and the
judge threw the case out of court. The judge said they
didn't have the right to sue, because they weren't citizens.
In 1922 even foreign nationals could sue. My people have
never had any rights under your Constitution, never
when it came to land. Never.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join