It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most important Philosophical term you need to know

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The One is the most important Philosophical term you need to know.

Why?

Because the One, which is traditionally called the SOUL is characteristically described as singular or simplex in nature. The One is transcendent, and thus it has nothing to compare it with, such that you could say it is like the wind, or like fire. The One is like itself alone. As such, the only thing you can say of it is that it is One, which is why the term is fitting. But even then, this is a rough estimation, for the One is infinite, unlimited, eternal. The reasons are as follows:

The One is eternal because it is the source and origin of all things. As all things exist in time, the One must exist prior to time, and so it is found within all times, meaning it is eternal and immortal. The One does not exist in time, but is an earlier derivative of the Universe, such that the universe derives from the One.

Why is the One important in practical terms? Because it is the key to immortality. But besides that, it is the key to knowledge, first of

Religion: knowing the One, false religions are no longer objects of control, as it becomes foolish to pray to a God for forgiveness or salvation, when all you need to know is the One beyond all things, and immediately your mind enters into that transcendent realm of neither 'this nor that' but a such-ness of mind that can not be explained, only experienced. To know this idea is to generate in your mind something that can not be calculated, such that it is like 'nothing.' Thus, contemplation of the One empties the mind, because it is the contemplation of an essenceless, characteristic-less object.

But more than that, the One only appears to be nothing from the level of the mind, after the mind empties itself, it can think again, either once again attaching onto the body, or directing higher towards the unlimited nature of the One. By having the idea of Eternity in mind, the mind frees itself both from bodily bondage and a 'nothingness' void, by which the will experiences true enlightenment. The light within the mind. The unlimited bliss.

Scientifically, the One is the essence of all things, and thus can only be described in negation of other worldly attributes.

Finally, the One is the only thing that is free of karma, and thus perpetual reincarnation. Knowledge of the One is the inner state of pure concentration that yogis strive for. It is true happiness, the only authentic and true happiness that a human can experience.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Interesting post.

How do you think The One works with the eastern concept of "Maya" (the illusion)?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kreinhard
Interesting post.

How do you think The One works with the eastern concept of "Maya" (the illusion)?

Maya means illusion, it is the creative power of the One. Maya is perpetual but lacking in true nature. The One has authentic existence, maya is the illusion that covers this, in other words maya is matter, the covering of the One.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
soul isn't spirit , though,,,spirit is supernatural and is in contact with God, the Angels....i think

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
soul isn't spirit , though,,,spirit is supernatural and is in contact with God, the Angels....i think

The highest soul is authentic reality. The Supreme Soul creates all lower soul-bodies, but each body has the supreme soul as the true nature within, such that the supreme soul permeates all bodies (lower souls). The lower soul is the psychological/physical construct, mortal and impermanent, and only through realization of one's true nature can one transcend this mortal state.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Maya means illusion, it is the creative power of the One. Maya is perpetual but lacking in true nature. The One has authentic existence, maya is the illusion that covers this, in other words maya is matter, the covering of the One.

So, how do I quit dealing with this illusion and get to the source? Or is that even possible? Maybe more importantly, is it necessary or recommended?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kreinhard

So, how do I quit dealing with this illusion and get to the source? Or is that even possible? Maybe more importantly, is it necessary or recommended?

Turn your mind upon itself and become aware of your self, after becoming aware of your self and formulating an idea of your self, know that that is just an image of the true self, as the witness is forever preceding that image, and thus the self is unknowable but through the disobjectification of all illusions.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Great! Thanks OP!!!

I hesitated to post here. I am very new. So, I need to post for the sake of establishing myself here.
With the fire-crackers going off outside, and, a few too many beers...

I could get carried away with my definition of time: the distance between two eternities...
And, the whole eternal battle between good and evil...
Then the Creator's Will... n The Soul... The Spirit...

Thanks for the reminder of The One! Thank You!
cmariesees

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
So, if this One has awareness, which I assume that it does, how does it formulate this awareness? The necessary contextual composition of awareness, where does it take what's necessary to formulate this contextual composition?

If the One has no contextual composition within the whole of its awareness, then by what sense does the One evaluate what it is aware of? Or does it evaluate at all? And if it doesn't, then how is it that the One is aware of anything?

Internal context is required for the establishment of evaluational awareness, and if the One has no internal context (beyond "this or that") then how does it achieve evaluational awareness? And if it has no evaluational awareness, then what's the difference between the One and the phrase "because I said so"?

I really am trying to understand the specific line of reasoning behind any and all of these philosophical notions that suggest that nothingness is anything other than nothing, so don't just dismiss me as a heckler. In my mind, this is very important stuff to actually be able to understand in a way that the average thinker can reach out and touch with his rational mind.

In my opinion, the last thing people need is another babble about how we need to turn off our minds and "feel" our way to whatever we decide our own version of enlightenment is. God knows, we've discovered how many unique and different versions of enlightenment exist in the minds of people who guide themselves to wisdom.

If something actually exists, it shares physical reality with everything it interacts with. That means that it can be accessed and understood without a person having to fog out their capacity to evaluate and qualify its concrete essence. Emotions and suggestion is powerful stuff, but it's internally generated. It exists behind a person's eyes, and traps them there as they rummage within themseves for what they've never been able to put together in the first place.

I don't know. It just seems like this type of Eastern-brand philosophy requires a person to become less person than they could be, and while it may make the argument that the less human the better, we're human beings, and there is a real reason why we're human beings to begin with. Unless the idea is that the One f*cked up royally in allowing us to be human, and if that's the case, then the logical problems with the One and whatever its real story is are much too broad and varied to get into here.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The One is eternal because it is the source and origin of all things. As all things exist in time, the One must exist prior to time, and so it is found within all times, meaning it is eternal and immortal. The One does not exist in time, but is an earlier derivative of the Universe, such that the universe derives from the One.

We get into semantics a little here, but really time is conjured by the mind and isn't real. I'll go along with "The One does not exist in time," but then you say it's "an earlier derivative of the Universe." You can't have it both ways. Now is the only time there is. When something happened in the past, it happened now. When something happens in the future, it will happen now. Nothing ever "happens" except now. The past is a memory, nothing real. The future is imagined, nothing real. The One is another name for The Now.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

I don't know. It just seems like this type of Eastern-brand philosophy requires a person to become less person than they could be, and while it may make the argument that the less human the better, we're human beings, and there is a real reason why we're human beings to begin with. Unless the idea is that the One f*cked up royally in allowing us to be human, and if that's the case, then the logical problems with the One and whatever its real story is are much too broad and varied to get into here.

I really like your entire post because it shows how deeply you're thinking about this, and all your comments are valid. I'll just address the quote above, which kind of sums up the rest: "Eastern-brand philosophy" or esotericism (the same kind of thinking originated in many places), actually does the opposite of requiring a person to be less--the idea is to tap into the consciousness directly, which is full with power and insight. One must understand that the thinking mind, the ego, is not consciousness. It is a tool to allow you to adapt and survive while embodied. Because of physical necessities and sensory allurements, the mind becomes conditioned to see reality it those terms, based in linear time. Identifying the self with the ego acts like a filter to reality. You're right, we're human beings, but that doesn't mean we're not meant to evolve to understand more than the thinking mind can provide--its illusions, its sense of separateness, its fears.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
So, if this One has awareness, which I assume that it does, how does it formulate this awareness?

no, it does not have awareness. It is beyond self-awareness. Self-awareness is found in the second principle of existence, the Mind imbued with ignorance.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo

We get into semantics a little here, but really time is conjured by the mind and isn't real. I'll go along with "The One does not exist in time," but then you say it's "an earlier derivative of the Universe." You can't have it both ways. Now is the only time there is. When something happened in the past, it happened now. When something happens in the future, it will happen now. Nothing ever "happens" except now. The past is a memory, nothing real. The future is imagined, nothing real. The One is another name for The Now.

The now is a moment in time, the One created time, thus the One is not the now.

new topics

top topics

join