It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TPTB comes from the Bible.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I found an interesting article on the 50 most commonly used phrases from the Bible and saw that the term "The Powers That Be" was on the list.

It's pretty interesting that the ATS term for all the dark forces that control our world from behind the shadows is a term that actually originated from the Bible. The article points out that many commonly used phrases originated from the Bible, showing what a HUGE influence the Bible has had on modern society.

“Commonly used”
‘Top 50 Most Popular Phrases From The Bible’

50 - "My cup runneth over" -- Psalms 23:5
49 - "O ye, of little faith" -- Luke 12:28
48 - "Living off the fat of the land" -- Genesis 45:17-18
47 - "Like a lamb led to the slaughter" -- Jeremiah 11:19 / Isaiah 53:7
46 - "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" -- Matthew 26:41
45 - "Flesh and blood" -- Matthew 16:17
44 - "Spare the rod and spoil the child" -- Proverbs 13:24 / 23:13
43 - "Forbidden fruit" -- Genesis 2 & 3
42 - "Can a leopard change his spots?" -- Jeremiah 13:23
41 - "A man after my own heart" -- Samuel 13:14 / Acts 13:22
40 - "Do not cast your pearls before swine" -- Matthew 7:6
39 - "The fruit of your loins" -- Genesis 35:11
38 - "The powers that be" -- Romans 13: 1-2
37 - "Drop in the bucket" -- Isaiah 40:15
36 - "Eat, drink, and be merry" -- Ecclesiastes 8:15
35 - "Eye for an eye" -- Exodus 21:24 / Leviticus 24:20 / Deuteronomy 19:21 / Matthew 5:38
34 - "The good Samaritan" -- Luke 10:25-37
33 - "He that is without sin, cast the first stone" -- John 8:7
32 - "Labor of love" -- 1 Thessalonians 1:3
31 - "The root of the matter" - Job 19:28
30 - "Fight the good fight" -- 1 Timothy 6.12
29 - "Letter of the law" -- 2 Corinthians 3:6
28 - "Many are called, but few are chosen" -- Matthew 22:14
27 - "Man does not live by bread alone" -- Deuteronomy 8:3 / Matthew 4:4
26 - "Salt of the earth" -- Matthew 5:13
25 - "No rest for the wicked" or "No rest for the weary" -- Isaiah 57:21
24 - "Sweat of your brow" -- Genesis 3:19
23 - "Apple of my eye" -- Deuteronomy 2:10 / Zechariah 2:8
22 - "The love of money is the root of all evil" -- 1 Timothy 6:10
21 - "All things must pass" or "This too shall pass" -- Matthew 24:6-8
20 - "The truth shall make you free" -- John 8:32
19 - "There's nothing new under the sun" -- Ecclesiastes 1:9
18 - "For everything there is a season" -- Ecclesiastes 3:1
17 - "As old as Methuselah" -- Genesis 5: 25-27
16 - "Ashes to ashes" -- Genesis 3:19
15 - "Twinkling of an eye" -- 1 Corinthians 15:52
14 - "A fly in the ointment" -- Ecclesiastes 10:1
13 - "Faith will move mountains" - Matthew 21:21
12 - "Signs of the times" -- Matthew 16:3
11 - "It is better to give than to receive" -- Acts 20:35
10 - "My brother's keeper" -- Genesis 4:9
9 - "Physician, heal thyself" -- Luke 4:23
8 - "Out of the mouths of babes" -- Psalm 8:2
7 - "How the mighty have fallen" -- 2 Samuel 1:19
6 - "Bite the dust" -- Psalms 72: 9
5 - "Sour grapes" -- Ezekiel 18:2
4 - "The writing on the wall" -- Daniel 5:5
3 - "At my wit's end" -- Psalm 107:27
2 - "Blind leading the blind" -- Matthew 15:14 / Luke 6:39
1 - "By the skin of our teeth" -- Job 19:20

California Catholic Daily

How many of these phrases have YOU used today?

[edit on 7/2/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
That's a very good find. Can you find any Bible versus about them? Also, TPTB can be referred to other names in the Bible.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Yes, when people are\referring constantly to one book, it does tend to affect the way they talk as well as the way they think.

Controversially, for this site, your quotation continues by saying that they have been "instituted by God. Therefore he that resists the authorities resists what God has appointed." The ruler is "the servant of God, to execute his wrath upon the wrongdoer."

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Controversially, for this site, your quotation continues by saying that they have been "instituted by God. Therefore he that resists the authorities resists what God has appointed." The ruler is "the servant of God, to execute his wrath upon the wrongdoer."

Just great, now some idiot will tell us to stop fighting TPTB because they have God's endorsement.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

No, I'm expecting a whole load of people to do it the other way round; "this proves that the Bible was set up by TPTB to control us, and they planted that verse."

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

No, I'm expecting a whole load of people to do it the other way round; "this proves that the Bible was set up by TPTB to control us, and they planted that verse."

You're probably right. The ahteists could have a field day with this.

Suprised there hasn't been a thread on this already.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Here is a verse that more specifically states us fighting TPTB

Ephesians 6:12
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

I don't think TPTB would leave that in there if religion was this big mind control game...it, plain as day, says we fight TPTB.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Dennislp3]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Do you have any sources indicating when some of these phrases were introduced as common usage? I notice a few of these from some lyrics in songs, so clearly musicians have been influenced by the bible. Therefore, many people may actually be referring to songs when using some of these phrases without knowing they originated from the bible.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

I suspect that they entered common speech to such an extent that people forgot where they came from.
Something like that happened to phrases from Shakespeare. There's an anecdote about a lady who went to her first Shakespeare play, and commented afterwards that she found it odd because it was "full of quotations".

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well...

It says you found it in Romans. The Roman empire and its society was basically the same as the world we live in today. I'm not surprised that there were also powers that be back then.

Cool find

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Wow now isn't that interesting the Powers that Be comes from Romans???

As usual All Roads Lead to Rome!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The book was written by the powers that be at the time. There was a powerful family back then that AUTHORED the book whom themselves created the characters and used older stories for making it a collective source for various different faiths and superstitions.

Sadly to beleivers it really is all fictional and the truth can be found from history scholar various books and websites that clearly provide all the facts one would need to see that this was all just a fabrication.

And YES I was FOOLED at one time ALSO

You just have to overcome it and accept that it is all fake and life goes on.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Hmm when I was growing up the bible I that I used was an old family bible. According to what I remember Ephesians 6:12 said "for w wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against pricipalities of the air"
I could of sworn it was a KJV but all the translations I found for it expound on it further.
According to the Geneva Study Bible:

[13] For we wrestle not against flesh and [g] blood, but against [h] principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

[13] Secondly, he declares that our chiefest and mightiest enemies are invisible, so that we may not think that our chiefest conflict is with men.

(g) Against men, who are of a frail and brittle nature, against whom are set spiritual wiles, a thousand times more mighty than the flesh.

(h) He gives these names to the evil angels, by reason of the effects which they work: not that they are able to do the same in and of themselves, but because God gives them permission.

So TPTB and NWO derive their power from God...
Great now God wants to oppress us to!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Well if its men that wrote the bible...
its men who want to control others...
then its men that lie....
its also men telling me not to believe it...
its men telling me to open my eyes....

I'm glad everything I need to learn in life I learned on a conspiracy website!
Is it ok to die now?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by azrael36

By telling them there is a "hidden" and "invisible" higher forces who are the real enemy, it makes the citizens/believers more tolerable and obedient to the cruel plans and corruption by the powers and controllers at the time.

By just brainwashing the masses that its the work of some "invisible spirit" forces (Satan, demons, devils, etc) and NOT men, and by brainwashing the masses (the average person/believers) should just "turn the other cheek" and that the "God" of the Bible will then grant the average obedient citizens/believers their heaven one day and than send the powerful leaders to the Biblical Hell one day.

It a perfect attempt at control, conquer and anything else to be used against the masses as seen fit with protection of the corrupt and powerful.

I used to believe as a Christian too, but I happened to read some things that gave me some doubts, and in my attempts to rule these doubts out as false, thats how I learned the faith is a total fabrication.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by ExRepublican]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

What about my favorite:

And I will strike down apon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother, And you will know my name is the LORD, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
12"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms".

What is so hard to understand tptb is exactly that, it's not people or humanity it's the nature of humanity the ebb and flow of all things. As long as there will be the living there will be tptb and it manifests itself as many things a tyrant, a group of tyrants that oppress with the sword or with words and ideology's, jealousy, hate, it even represents itself as love or the good, its basically the struggle to live in harmony in this chaotic world. It's an expression that goes back way before the Jews became a peoples or even the Egyptians. Its a warning that says let me put it scientifically, "for every action there is a reaction" only in the words of the time. God to those people was more then just a guy with a beard sitting on a cloud it was a primeval force, it was something so above them that it did not see good or evil, its basically a way a peoples that lived in the desert sand could make there world sane and bearable, same as the Greek gods most of them were attributed to individual forces like lightning, death, and the sun. Not everything in the bible is bull#, just like not every Muslim is crazy and a terrorist, Or every Jew is a Zionist, Or every Cristian is a redneck gun totting psychopath who marries his sister. The powers that be to them represented inbalance that leads to chaos, not a bunch a dudes in suits. Though if it was just a group of people and dudes in suits, it will be an easy problem to solve.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Wow now isn't that interesting the Powers that Be comes from Romans???

As usual All Roads Lead to Rome!

The Book of Romans was written in the 1st century...
...but the Roman Catholic church did not exist until the 3rd centiry.

Ironically the Roman church also ignores much of the Book of Romans.

[edit on 3/7/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dennislp3
Here is a verse that more specifically states us fighting TPTB

Ephesians 6:12
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

I don't think TPTB would leave that in there if religion was this big mind control game...it, plain as day, says we fight TPTB.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Dennislp3]

What struggle does this verse refer to?
Makes me wonder... Is it the one which we experience when we have to decide which "cheekbone" we have to give first?
"Do I give the right or the left one? Mmh... Difficult choice... I gave the left yersterday, but I gave the right twice in a row before that... I'm confused..."
This one?

They maybe didnt modify everything but they still did it enough...
And would you have them openly and ONLY praising rulers?
Dont you think there would be a risk of being somewhat transparent?

You take an argument 'ad logicam' and you turn it upside down:
"As there is one verse clearly condemning rulers/masters, the "angle" of the writers in the whole Bible must also be anti-rulers"...
Right, that's argumentation.

I wish you luck if you decide to try to prove that the bible is clearly anti-rulers or pro-rulers for that matter...

I dont even know if TPTB have an agenda that bad... For me it seems they have the same as God himself: Get rid of 90% of Mankind and create a new/better world with the survivors.
The only difference could be the identity of the said survivors...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Just great, now some idiot will tell us to stop fighting TPTB because they have God's endorsement.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Hey you ATSers!

Stop fighting TPTB, they're doing Gods work!!!

Ok....... you can cry now

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join