It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RELIEF WELLS NEAR COMPLETION in the face of Methane/Oil SUPER ARMAGEDDON

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Where in that picture would the two exploratory wells that BP proposed to drill around this sight be? Or did they not go through with those?

Oh, and touting has a few definitions.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

You are right Lucidty.......they are no where close to being finished........30 to 45 days at best.........so if that is what this thread is all about then yes .....the well is almost completed about 30+ days away........Anyone who works on drilling rigs (which I have at one point) knows this.......

Unless.....the relief wells purpose is for something else then the depth of this well is almost complete............But that is another topic on another thread.......

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
reply to post by ~Lucidity

.....the well is almost completed about 30+ days away........

Which if you read the thread is what I stated. "By the end of July, or possible a bit earlier"

It is also very nearly at depth.

[edit on 3/7/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Where in that picture would the two exploratory wells that BP proposed to drill around this sight be? Or did they not go through with those?

Not understanding what you are saying here. If they were to drill other wells of what relevance would they be?

Oh, and touting has a few definitions.

Yes it does but all of them relate to gain.

You have not cited your sources. I await the information.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
We can throw barbs and jibes all day long, speculate all day long, but it doesn't amount to jack in the end. Any news items on the Gulf disaster and/or BP should be taken with about a truckload of grains of salt. I have a hard time believing any of this is going to work, and do you want to know why?
Because of BP's incompetent response to this disaster thus far. Because of the media blackout that is going on in Louisiana. Because of the fragile nature of the seafloor into which BP has irresponsibly chosen to drill. Because of the hurricane season. Because of the Corexit!!!!

I trust these guys about as far as I can throw the fat greedy *SNIP*s.

I want this to be OVER as much as anybody else, but I fear that it won't be anytime in the near future. There are so many unknowns down there, and for anyone to claim that ANYTHING is 100% going to work is just ludicrous.

Btw, it's unfortunate that you changed the thread title, which basically makes it look like you want to minimize the risk of a possible catastrophic outcome with this whole mess. I guess de-oxygenation of the ocean is no big woop, eh?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
We can throw barbs and jibes all day long, speculate all day long, but it doesn't amount to jack in the end.

True

Btw, it's unfortunate that you changed the thread title, which basically makes it look like you want to minimize the risk of a possible catastrophic outcome with this whole mess. I guess de-oxygenation of the ocean is no big woop, eh?

I don't see how you manage to deduce that conclusion from the title. It is not logical to draw that inference. Allow me to misinterpret your statement.....

I have to disagree, de-oxygenation of the ocean is a major problem and not 'no big whoop' as you put it.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

lol the dictionary.

As for the two exploratory drill sites, I was just curious as to whether they drilled them at all, and if so, and as to their positions in relationship to the relief sites and the well that blew. In other words, I was wondering if they possibly used the same sites.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

they will use heavy mud
second line

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I hope you are right but I am advising family and friends to get packed. The BP
graphics are neat. Given their history I have no faith in them or their pictures.
The well is several miles deeper than your optimistic computer generated action plan shows. I am reasonably sure that any fluid coming up that well at 40,000 to 60,000 psi has destroyed or broken the well casing. The relief wells will have to pump more than 40,000 to 60,000 psi into the well to stop it. And if they can
you have to hope that the combination pressure does not explode and fracture
the well hole. This is only my opinion based on my experience. I think there is a greater chance of the gulf and all the surrounding states becoming a dead zone than BP capping or relieving this well.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Next video is the "spill" from space time lapse.

I'm beyond words at this point.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WATCHER.1

I hope you are right but I am advising family and friends to get packed.

Not unreasonable as there is guarantee of success.

The BP graphics are neat. Given their history I have no faith in them or their pictures. The well is several miles deeper than your optimistic computer generated action plan shows.

I accept that the graphics do not give the proper sense of scale, but several miles?? I think not. This would put the well into MOHO territory where not only would there be no oil but the drill would be attempting to go through semi plastic material which was what halted the Russian project.

I think there is a greater chance of the gulf and all the surrounding states becoming a dead zone than BP capping or relieving this well.

Whilst you may be right about not being able to cap the well, and only time will tell that, it is also a certainty that if capping fails then collection measures will eventually succeed, thus the scenario of a dead zone recedes, unless it has already reached the point of no return which I consider is unlikely since Mother Earth will recover eventually. (This is not denigrating the disastrous consequences that are already stacked up just saying that eventually things will recover.)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

You can't comprehend how jokingly sensationalizing the title only serves to further minimalize what is obviously a very, very big problem?
I'm not trying to take a personal shot at you or tear anybody down, I honestly just wish you wouldn't have changed it. It somehow cheapens the whole conversation.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Whilst you may be right about not being able to cap the well, and only time will tell that, it is also a certainty that if capping fails then collection measures will eventually succeed, thus the scenario of a dead zone recedes, unless it has already reached the point of no return which I consider is unlikely since Mother Earth will recover eventually. (This is not denigrating the disastrous consequences that are already stacked up just saying that eventually things will recover.)

I hope that you're right Puter!!! No doubt that the Earth will recover, she most certainly has a way of cleansing herself when need be

What I am most worried about is this Corexit stuff though....How can we ever hope to capture all of this oil when half of it is floating around under the surface? Moreover, the Corexit itself seems to be pretty harmful stuff.

Argh, this whole situation is beginning to hurt my brain.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

Argh, this whole situation is beginning to hurt my brain.

Mine too!!!!

I would change the title back since the original change served it's purpose, but I can't now.

Need to find out a bit more about this corexit stuff.

Edit: Only one R in corexit

The following are offered without comment as to their veracity

Link to Nalco site re dispersant used in the Gulf. No comments yet as I have not had time to read it.

Following the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20, Nalco was called upon by the response team to provide Corexit 9500 to help minimize the effects of the incident on the shoreline and other sensitive marine sites, because it is EPA-approved, safe, effective, and has a long history of successful use.

1. The EPA continues to state that the use of Nalco’s dispersants has been effective and has not significantly affected the marine environment.

* As the EPA noted on its website on May 27, “toxicity data does not indicate any significant effects on aquatic life. Moreover, decreased size of the oil droplets is a good indication that, so far, the dispersant is effective” in the Deepwater Horizon response.
* The EPA analysis came as a result of aggressive monitoring that is being conducted by BP in the Gulf of Mexico.
* In a May 24 press conference, EPA Administrator Jackson stated, “Our tracking indicates that the dispersants are breaking up the oil and speeding its biodegradation, with limited environment impact.”
* USCG Rear Admiral Mary Landry echoed Administrator Jackson’s statement by saying Corexit has prevented “much more” highly toxic oil from reaching US shorelines.

2. All of the ingredients contained in Nalco’s dispersants are safe and found in common household products, such as food, packaging, cosmetics, and household cleaners.

* Individually and collectively the ingredients are safe when used as directed.
* Corexit is approved for use by the EPA because it falls well within the agency’s range of allowable toxicity levels.
* Corexit products biodegrade rapidly, do not bioaccumulate, are not human carcinogens, do not degrade into endocrine disruptors, and are not reproductive toxins.
* Environment Canada studies show that Corexit 9500 is more than 25 times as safe as common dishwashing liquid.
* The amount of dispersants in the Gulf equal about 30 parts per billion when dispersed across the area of the oil slick and to the 10 meter depth the dispersants will spread oil through.
o This is 1/10th of 1 percent of the level of the product tested under EPA standards and a far lower level than the EPA allows in drinking water of several non-biodegradable elements that are highly toxic, carcinogenic, and/or reproductive toxins.
* On May 24, Administrator Jackson stated, “we know that dispersants are less toxic than oil” and that “the number one enemy is the oil.”

Side link from the other page

I will leave you to read the rest, and of course decide if you agree with them!!

(Naperville, Ill.) Nalco (NYSE: NLC) Chief Technology Officer Dr. Manian Ramesh today welcomed the Federal government's assertion that the use of dispersants has resulted in "no exposure levels to any chemicals that are of any concern.”

Source

[edit on 3/7/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Is it me or are people generally getting depressed at the thought that this might not be the armageddon that for some reason they are waiting for? Think about it for a minute, millions dead makes you feel better? lol. I'll be glad when this mess is cleaned up and the people affected are payed compensation of an equal value as to what has been damaged or lost like they did after 911 and Katrina....oh wait a minute.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The conspiracist in me says something is not right here. I did a search of the Nalco document library and here are the results:

Document Library

You searched for all the words "*" one or more of the words "COREXIT" and "Dispersant" in the "Chemicals", "Energy, Oil and Gas", "Manufacturing", "Marine Vessels", "Mining and Mineral Processing", "Personal and Household Care" and "Pharmaceutical" industries and "Enhanced Oil Recovery", "Marine Chemicals", "Shoreline Cleaners and Oil Spill Dispersants" and "Well Completion and Simulation" applications or and "Analytical Services", "Automation and Remote Monitoring", "Consulting Services", "Delivery and Inventory Services", "Environmental Hygiene Services", "Online Services", "Outsourcing Services" and "Water Pretreatment Services" services . We found 0 documents matching your query. Try again?

What???!!! I thought that would bring up loads. (I tried many other combinations as well - all zilch)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by saphic
Is it me or are people generally getting depressed at the thought that this might not be the armageddon that for some reason they are waiting for?

Many people seem to be waiting for Armageddon not least of which are the fundamentalists whether they be Christian, Muslim or Jewish and possibly other religions as well.

Many ordinary folk I believe are of the mind set that Armageddon will provide a reset for the planet that will not actually affect them so they will be sitting pretty with no worries after it takes place.

Fools I say! Armageddon, however it happens be it air poisoning, volcanic eruption etc etc will not be a good place to be and IF anyone survives it will be very very tough - more so than most of the armchair survivalists think.

I don't want to go there and I don't want my children and grandchildren to go there either.

Sorry if that was OT but I had to respond.

I do believe this is not Armageddon however I hasten to add.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Relief wells near completion

I get a general feeling that people are thinking that nothing is happening at the well and that various attempts to stop the flow have failed.

Basically this is not true and people are not actually following the progress.

The problem is that a lot of people, such as yourself, think that being realistic means loving "doom"...when it can't be farther of the truth.

EVERYTHING they have tried so far has failed, and as I said in another thread the relief wells might, or might not work.

First they have to hit a target about the size of a plate that is miles underground, and i know what I am talking about when I say even with the best directional drillers, with the best mud engineers, the best field engineers, the best rig crew in general and the best equipment there is only a guarantee of hitting a target this far away at any point the size of a medium size auditorium.

The inclination might be off, or the azimuth, which in case you didn't know the equipment used to make an educated "guess" of where they are drilling are calibrated to "approximations". This is not an exact science.

There is a very small chance that they will hit the target on the first try. when that happens they have to retract the bit several hundred feet or more, cement the borehole they just drilled, and try it again.

It might take several tries and they might not hit it. This procedure could even cause more problems instead of solving it.

You have to understand that no one has ever drilled this type of deep well before, and the 5,000+ feet of water also causes a lot of problems.

So what you call "people who love doom" such as myself and some others are actually realistic and we know what we are talking about.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The 7 mi depth came from rig workers and leaked information from a government source. The dead zone is a reality.
Oil, Corexit, benzene, methane, hydrogen sulfide, sulphur and radioactive particles that occur naturally in that oil, being rained over 50,000 square miles or more? None of this even considers what happens with a methane explosion or
when the well pressure subsides and cold water gets down to the boiling level in the evacuated well chamber. Back in the day I worked oil, natural gas, gasoline pipelines including blasting whatever was in the way. Being the new guy here I don't want to offend anybody but I am old enough to know when the people in charge of the job either do not know, do not care or have some other reason to do things that are flat stupid. I know Holland, Denmark, Sweden and others with state of the art equiptment and experienced people were turned down in April and early May when they offered to help. That and the Corexit abomination made it look better and lessened the fines because they are based on barrels of oil spilled (gushed). The last and most important thing is the sickness and death that will go on for a generation or two.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
BTW, you or someone else was complaining that you made an "op-ed" without much knowledge or understanding of drilling procedures and you want to complaint that you didn't get enough flags and stars?...

I wrote a thread which had the comments from a physicist, Dr. Michio Kaku about the use of a nuke that so many people keep claiming will solve this, and that thread got even less stars and flags than your "op-ed."

[edit on 3-7-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join