It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troops 'have no rights on a battlefield'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

www.independent.co.uk

British troops are not protected by human rights laws on the battlefield, the country's highest court has ruled.

The family of Private Jason Smith, who died of a heart attack after being exposed to extreme heat while serving with the Territorial Army in Iraq, had argued that troops should be given human rights protection while overseas.

But the Supreme Court has now quashed previous rulings by the High Court and Court of Appeal that legislation should apply to soldiers at all times.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Jocelyn Cockburn, a lawyer representing Pte Smith's mother, Catherine, called the decision "shocking", adding: "It is artificial to assert that rights can be protected on-base but not off-base."

Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, Chief of the Defence Staff, said: "This outcome is not about denying rights to our people, it is about ensuring we have a clear... set of rules."

I find it truly disturbing to see rulings of this kind 'justifiable'.

People in GB, as well as in America, seem to both wake up and smell the roses!

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Eh, when you sign that line.... You have just signed away your own body and all rights to it. Guess it is the same way there, too.

Sure, it's sad... But that is the game of war. Why anyone would wanna play, I have no idea.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megiddodiddo

So. They are on the same level playing field as their victims then?

That sounds like modern class warfare - the only difference between that and past warfare is the 'past'!

I wonder what the 'future' will bring?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

This man is correct.

The kid signed on the line and signed away all his rights as an American civilian. If more cod4 playing kids knew what all was they were giving up when elisting, perhaps we would have less people enlisting.

I'm beginning to think the military is almost Darwinism in action, where the smart stay the hell away, and the dumb warmongers go to stop procreating.

(commence the bashing calling me a liberal douchebag america hater)

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

I think you hit it on the head. For thousands of years, it was the sons of royalty who were the only ones allowed to have weapons and fight in war, but now we consider the military the dumping ground of our uneducated, futureless youths. That is why the recruitment standards keep going down, and army recruiters kill themselves on a regular basis. Sickening, really, when you think about it.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Not man, but thank you.

Seems we think alike on the Armed Forces being Darwinism in action.

I have at times hoped that eventually all of the warmongers would take each other out, and the rest of us can live in peace.

But then again, that is probably what TPTB is going for.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I never understand these claims.

Lets join the army..... a job that tends to imply you will get shot at, bombed and generaly run the risk of having to endure hell on earth.

Now these guys have my upmost respect and admiration for the role they choose in life, but please dont sign up then whinge the job does not comply to all the protection a trash collector is entitled to.

War is not good, and anyone willing to be involved on the front line is braver than I, however regulations that wont apply to china, russia et al is the biggest reason why we in the west are all likely to fading into insignificance

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
No rights on the battlefield. Ouch, but what do you expect you know. You are out there surrounded by danger constantly. If there was a military draft and I get forced into joining it. I would go crazy.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
This man is correct.

The kid signed on the line and signed away all his rights as an American civilian.

He's British, not American.

I'm beginning to think the military is almost Darwinism in action, where the smart stay the hell away, and the dumb warmongers go to stop procreating.

Well, we have been known to eat our own young.

Seriously, tho, please stop buying into the "All military members are stupid". It's pretty lame and very tired out.

(commence the bashing calling me a liberal douchebag america hater)

If the shoe fits, slide that puppy right on.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
....but now we consider the military the dumping ground of our uneducated, futureless youths.

That goes for you, too. I mean, do you believe that blacks are all drug dealers that play great basketball when they aren't stealing cars? That Hispanics are all wetback illegals? That Asians have a camera fetish and can't drive? If you're going to believe that the military is filled with stupid, uneducated people, you might as well believe ALL stereotypes.

Originally posted by warpcrafter
That is why the recruitment standards keep going down, and army recruiters kill themselves on a regular basis. Sickening, really, when you think about it.

Don't know about recruiters killing themselves, but I know they have a high burnout rate.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Sign on the dotted line and become a GI = government issue and the government takes that seriously. And in a state of war the rules change to where you must give 1000% with no exceptions, no matter if you are having an off day. It's just the way it is.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
The article was about a case that wen't all the way up to the British Supreme Court... which seems that those that were litigating weren't too pleased with the lower court's decisions.

The case evidently was about a man who was worked so hard durring a rather hot day who later was found face down - having had a Heart attack...

you would think that folks with conditions like these would have been screened and discovered during thier primary physical... =(

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Wait a minute, wait a minute...wait a minute. So British Troops have no rights on the battlefield...but enemy combatants have Miranda rights (U.S. of course...but Britain acts in accord with our policies)?

Originally posted by Breifne

Originally posted by Megiddodiddo

So. They are on the same level playing field as their victims then?

That sounds like modern class warfare - the only difference between that and past warfare is the 'past'!

I wonder what the 'future' will bring?

What a load of crap, the "victims" (that are shooting back, and shooting first) have MUCH more rights than the troops have. If captured the troops are tortured...and it's worse torture than waterboarding and no sleep. They are imprisoned, and it's not 3 meals a day and prayer like Gitmo. I'm not saying I support waterboarding, or Gitmo...but give me a break, why lie about something just because you think it strengthens your position? That's how you make your argument look foolish.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It is always sad when a young man dies in the service of his country.

However, in the armed forces, in times of war (and training) people will be exposed to extreme conditions of many kinds...heat cold, dampness, direct sunlight...bad food, damaged or missing equipment...enemy combatants trying to kill you, friendly forces not shooting straight...stress, fear, fatigue, lack of sleep.

This is the nature of the beast.

Soldiers must stay put and do their jobs through all of these things, in order to achieve the objective or mission...and because soldiers around him will be put in greater peril if he just "opts out"for some reason.

I have to wonder about motivation of the parents of the deceased. What were they hoping for...a decision that would have made them rich after suing the Government, while at the same time ensuring that British forces would no longer be able to maintain discipline?

top topics

join