It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Grad Sues Dad to Cover Student Debt

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I found the following section of the OP's linked article particularly noteworthy:

"They just don't have a relationship," Berman said about Dana and Howard. "It has to be weak to begin with if you enter into that agreement."

Berman also noted how unperturbed Dana's dad seemed throughout the trial. "Here his daughter's bringing him to court and there's no sadness, no remorse that his daughter was in this situation having to sue him."

So it looks like we have two sociopaths here. If so, no great loss for the dad to lose, IMHO.

As an aside, in this day and age, who in in their right mind would major in *art* from a no-name college and expect to get any kind of job off the bat that would cover the ensuing debt?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Regrettably student loan debt is not dis-chargeable. He'll be stuck with that, but the rest of it he could get rid of. That was a sad story. It's sad when families do each other that way.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
What a BITCH, i would never sue my father for whatever reason
i mean he is my father!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Stupid is as stupid does. He signed a contract he needs to keep his agreements... Still you got to wonder about someone willing to sue thier father. That must have been a close relationship.

Problems is Dad is probably out of work or taken a lower paying job and can't afford it now.

I agree that he signed a contract, therefore she has the right to sue him. If you sign a contract with the Devil, don't think he won't enforce it either.

If the Dad is out of work or has a lower paying job, it's something he should have considered before signing. That's the reason I won't get a mortgage, because it actually means that I have to earn a minimum amount over a long time, and I don't want to agree to that.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Kids now days have a sense of entitlement,everyone in my family payed their way through college,I think this is an indication why someone like Obama was voted in,he spoke of long list of freebies,and the ones who always have hands out took the bait,if this is the future hope I die soon and still have time to leave a nice corpse

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

First off, you have no idea what the relationship is from the article. He could be a POS.
He could be a deadbeat dad, and this gave the perfect excuse to get him to own up.
It is easy to judge from a chair reading a few words on teh screen.

I have had friends whose wealthy, estranged fathers wouldn't pay a dime to them.

One friend even got an audit at 18 years old from the IRS, her wealthy lawyer father was using her for all sorts of tax deductions. He didn't pay child support and he never saw her for 8 months at a time.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
that's the result of lousy parenting.

Regardless of that - if he were my kid...he better be using that money to buy himself a new family - because come Christmas time his ass wouldn't be welcome in my home.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Sorry. I completely disagree.

I have a friend who IN THEIR DIVORCE DECREE had a division of financial responsibility with the husband that while she would provide all the monies for their food, shelter, health insurance, etc., he would provide for their college education.

He is doing everything on the planet to back out of his financial obligation to do so, from trying to force the college, (not part of the agreement and he is trying to make the kid move across country to dissuade the kid) to trying to say "only for certain degrees" (not part of the agreement) but the bottom line is, Dad just wants his cake and to eat it too. He has a new wife, and just doesnt want to spend his money on old kids that he really doesnt care much about. The ex-wife is taking his butt to court too, and he will lose. Lets face it, there are lots of Dads just like him, (and mothers too, in all fairness)

Obviously, this Dad just had a verbal agreement, that the daughter wisely turned into a formal agreement. But what you are doing is just flat out being nasty and abusive towards someone trying to hold their parent to their word and their financial obligation.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by C0le

You really, really don t understand anything do you? People get education in order to get something they don t have. at any cost. this is one of the most facile comments I have ever seen.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

ya, it s just terrible how people want to be educated these days. It s even worse when they want their parents to help out. Are you for real? This poor woman had to have this guy SIGN A CONTRACT just to get her own father to help out and then STILL had to go to court to get him to do what every parent should want to do. Shame on her for wanting to better her life! Some of the comments I m seeing here are ludicrous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join