It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Preparing National Online ID Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

White House Preparing National Online ID Plan

www.informationweek.com

The Obama administration is set to propose a new system for authenticating people, organizations and infrastructure on the Web. The online authentication and identity management system would be targeted at the transactional level -- for example, when someone logs into their banking website or completes an online e-commerce purchase.

"This strategy cannot exist in isolation," he said. "It's going to take all of us working together." Furthermore, "we should not have to dramatically change the way we do business -- this should be a natural path forward," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Simply issuing a Web-friendly biometric identification card to everyone in the country, of course, wouldn't necessarily make anyone or anything more secure, including online transactions. As the report also notes, to be effective, security tools and technology must be complemented by education. "There is always a necessity to do awareness and education of the end user," said Schmidt. "But you're not trying to teach the end user how to be a security expert."

OH BOY - I get to be stood up to be counted... even though I'm sitting. Personal ID for internet users is going to be real fun. Suppose - for instance - your machine is hijacked by a cyber attacker, who then utilises all 300 thousand high bandwidth machines he's jacked to send a DDOS attack against the White house...

This - is - not - good! it'll be your internet ID - the one being proposed by Obama - that will identify your machine as the attacker!

This makes alot of sense Mr. Obama. WOW!

your thoughts on the matter?

www.informationweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Wow. Internet gustapo sounds like a great name for this process.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Double post. Sorry.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by zroth]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
maybe it's time to buy an island and form our own country, callit freedomland or the like..

At least then we wouldn't be subject to the ONE and his really off the wall whims..

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Where are those Yes We Can chants now ?

At least many of you will have a chance to vote his henchmen out of office this November before more freedoms are taken away.

This administration is bent on gaining as much information about us the citizens so that they can use it to target those who stand against them.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
what do you want to bet there will be a tax on getting an ID. just another way to try and tax the internet usage. "you can't do business online without an ID, but the ID will cost you" I can just hear it now.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I may be misunderstanding this, but it sounds like this would only be for use in financial transactions and not in everyday PC-to-PC communications. So in order for your ID to identify you if you DDoS'd the White House, you'd have to buy something while you were there.

Furthermore, it would be obvious that it wasn't YOU initiating the attack because thousands of other PCs were involved. Really, if somebody did that now they'd be able to trace your IP back to you anyways.

Something like this has been a long time coming to help stop identity theft. I wonder if Obama realizes that his illegal immigrant (and soon-to-be-bought votes, if he has his way) friends will have a hard time ordering stuff from E-Bay if this goes into effect? At any rate, if done right this could have a lot of positive benefits.

Now, with that being said... Knowing this government (Meaning the corporate shill U.S. government, not just the current administration) there's probably an ulterior motive. My conspiracy theory proposal: This is just a new angle of attack to incrementally implement a national ID.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
As far as stupidity goes it kinda reminds me of Michelle Obama's attack on Sponge Bob and desserts rofl

new topics

top topics

join