It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Jefferson made slip in Declaration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Thom as Jefferson made slip in Declaration

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Preservation scientists at the Library of Congress have discovered that Thomas Jefferson, even in the act of declaring independence from England, had trouble breaking free from monarchial rule.

In an early draft of the Declaration of Independence, Jefferson wrote the word "subjects," when he referred to the American public. He then erased that word and replaced it with "citizens," a term he used frequently throughout the final draft.

The Library released news of the struck word for the first time on Friday.

apparently, While Thomas Jefferson drafted the Declaration he inserted the word "subjects" imstead of the word "Citizens" - a Fruedian slip of a most classic nature!

Researchers doing forensics on the original document discovered this as they noticed smudges under the word citizen, indicating that while still wet, Jefferson used his hand to erase the word subjects and then inserted the word citizens in it's place, lol... indicating he still suffered the mindset of being a British subject when he drafted the Declaration.

Thought I'd throw in this little tidbit of humor for people to appreciate.

This article came out today on the AP network. =
=

[edit on 7/2/2010 by Megiddodiddo]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
We're still subjects, just to a different King disguised as our Federal Government... do you really own your land when, if you don't pay the "usage fee" (i.e. property taxes) that they can take it from you?

What about your income (you know, they thing you exchange your time and your LIFE for), they take that from you every month and you can't do a thing about it. If you figure out how not to pay, they can take everything you own.

We citizens might have been free for a time, but that time was a long long time in the past. I would argue that we are "subjects" once again.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
lol well spose after a life of being a subject and that being the norm it could be hard to forge a new country with new ways in this manner.

Heck I have trouble the first month or two when we have a year change....I could imagine he wasn't the only one who made this mistake lol

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This is just the MSM spin doctors helping you feel better about the NWO agenda.

"See...Jefferson was like this too. Now give me all your rights, all your money and all your children's futures. Cheers!"

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Under the federal government we're all share-cropping peasants.

We dont own our land. We don't own our labor. Anything we might actually "own" can be and has been taken at gun point at the whim of the federal government.

If TJ was in on it it doesnt make me dislike my share cropper status any less.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This is just the TPTB trying to destroy the image of the founding fathers. because they know we are starting to idolize them again.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Oh no!

You dared to besmirch the name of the almighty Thomas Jefferson? Holy Hell!

There are people on here that revere him as some sort of GOD!

And the OP dared to use his name without associating it with the 2nd Amendment holy scripture!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I don't think he meant "subjects" as in we were subjects. I think it's highly possible this declaration was being written at a time when subjects under the previous ruler were declaring independence. In large part the declaration of independence was written thumbing it's nose at the previous ruling monarch.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
How can it be a "slip" if it was part of an early draft, as it was pointed out? You think Jefferson perhaps did NOT consider & re-consider every single word, over & over again? Why else would he replace "subjects" with "citizens" if he hadn't considered the differences between those two terms? In short, I don't consider that a "slip" unless it actually made it into the finalized text...Since the word "subjects" did NOT make it to the final text, than it's a correction, not a slip.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

A Freudian Slip isn't something bad... it's just that when someone is used to something being a certain way, and it changes, we sometimes still use the old addage instead of the new... a mental slip, that's all.

The article stated that while he drafted the Declaration of Independance several locations where the word "CITIZEN" was located, there appeared smudge marks, indicating that a word was previously there, and had been quickly erased and the word "CITIZEN" written in on top of the smudge marks.

After doing some forensic investigation of the smudge marks under the word "CITIZEN" they discovered that the word "SUBJECTS" was originally written there.

Jefferson, after realizing his error, quickly whiped the word "SUBJECTS" away using probably his thumb, and then inserted the word he meant to write there, which was the word "CITIZENS".

They said that the ink had to have been still wet for the word "SUBJECTS" to have been whiped away, so it was nothing more than a simple issue of his subconcsious mind still rendering an ideology of being a British Subject, which at one time he was, and then his conscious mind realizing the error and quickly moving him to action to correct the mistake.

That's all. =
=

[edit on 7/3/2010 by Megiddodiddo]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Megiddodiddo

IMO while such examinations of historic documents are of interest in this case the findings don't fundamentally change history . To claim otherwise would be like saying that Zimbabwe is still Rhodesia because older people still use the old name .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Also being discussed in Breaking News...

www.abovetopsecret.com... FYI

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

In an early draft of the Declaration of Independence, Jefferson wrote the word "subjects," when he referred to the American public.

The "small" people, again.
Another elitist PTB slip of the tongue.

top topics

join