It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car fuel made from carbon dioxide and sunlight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Car fuel made from carbon dioxide and sunlight

www.telegraph.co.uk

Solar-powered reactors can take carbon dioxide and turn it into carbon monoxide. The same reactors can also be used to turn water into hydrogen and oxygen.

The two can then be reacted together with a catalyst to form hydrocarbon fuels, in a technique known as the Fischer-Tropsch process.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Please do move this thread to the relevant position

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Excellent...now we don't have to fem on about carbon killing the planet

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This method may be new but separating water into hydrogen and oxygen is old news. You can do this at home with 12-18 vdc current, a couple sheets of stainless steel (stainless due to corrosion, you can use any metal) and salt. This is the exact same way a chlorine generator works on a swimming pool. Not only do you make Hydrogen you inadvertently make Chlorine when you add the salt as a catalyst. Hydrogen should already be one of our main energy sources but the oil companies have kept it from being so. This is just a new way of doing it and like the old way it will never see the light of day for the consumer. They still have to much oil to exploit us with. Imagine a heater that runs on hydrogen from water. You would never have another gas bill and it would be the hottest producing heater out so you wouldn't have to run it long to do the job. This could have been created easily in the 70's but here we are 30 years later. I have thought about inventing one but I know it wouldn't be long before I was silenced due to the profits I would be taking from the oil industries.

Greed is our suppressor.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I always enjoy threads like these... The future is many a persons' goal.

But as smart as some of us are we are suppressed by a government we put in place to protect us. And in many ways it is for our own protection because there are many looneys who wish to harm the world and pose as "wise" men. BUT we do need these new technologies sooner than later. If they wont let us use them, they should atleast LET US KNOW, that they are researching them and trying to find ways to make them safer.

BECAUSE the weakest link with these new technologies is that it can exploit energy at some of the smallest levels ever before possible. IF someone figures out a way to do something bad with this, they would have themselves a super weapon. This is my honest opinion on why it has not made it to the world yet.

If this device can split water into hydrogen and oxygen, then someone would figure out how to harness only the hydrogen and start making very powerful explosives in small compact ways (Hydrogen is THE Smallest element on the Periodic table)

So I'm not really waiting on Mankind to RELEASE these technologies... I'm only waiting on mankind to be worthy enough to be trusted with them.

EVERY SINGLE ATS MEMBER KNOWS of someone who would abuse this technology... I guarantee it.

-RJ

[edit on 2-7-2010 by rjmelter]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Although this method sounds very plausible to most; it is not a very efficient method of creating or utilizing its separate energy potentials. The loss of energy through the fracturing process and the loss of energy through thermodynamics, makes this method a mute point for a real solution to our energy future.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MolecularPhD

While it is not efficient... It is a means to an end to a cleaner energy future. Sometimes If we start on a Closed loop line we cant start at 100%, it takes brilliant minds to go from 10% to 30% etc etc. We cannot say well its not 100% effective we cannot use it. We have to begin somewhere. And to me this is a good start.

new topics

top topics

join