It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

21 killed in shootout between drug, migrant trafficking gangs near Arizona border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

21 killed in shootout between drug, migrant trafficking gangs near Arizona border

www.foxnews.com

A massive gun battle between rival drug and migrant trafficking gangs near the U.S. border Thursday left 21 people dead and at least six others wounded, prosecutors said.

The fire fight occurred in a sparsely populated area about 12 miles (20 kilometers) from the Arizona border, near the city of Nogales, that is considered a prime corridor for immigrant and drug smuggling.

The Sonora state Attorney General's Office said in a statement that nine people were captured by police at the scene
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US Warns It Cannot Guard Arizona Section of Border

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
It looks like things are heating up, yet we have nothing in place to keep this war from spilling over our borders. How long will it be before we hear of these gun battles in the part of Arizona that our government has given up on? Then, how long before these gun battles are actually fought on the streets here? It amazes me how Mexico is becoming just as dangerous as Iraq, yet we don't care about securing our border. This isn't an immigration debate, it's a border security debate.

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

If I recall correctly this is exactly what i said would happen in your other thread......

Either this was an obvious outcome of the USA government publicly stating in the media that there was a total open door to smuggle drugs through OR I'm a double-damned genetically engineered, cybernetic genious and the next step in human evolution...

You decide.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
was anyone innocent hurt or killed? If not then thats 21 people who i am glad are dead now. Let 'em kill themselves and we'll just collect the bodies.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
was anyone innocent hurt or killed? If not then thats 21 people who i am glad are dead now. Let 'em kill themselves and we'll just collect the bodies.

By God could it be!?!?!?!

This is the smartest thing I have ever heard on ATS.

STAR!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Phew! That is one hell of a body count! Perhaps, the Coyotes forgot to pay the local drug Kingpin their tax to travel through the area with their wares? As some on here have already said, hopefully most of the people killed where criminals and not civilians? This is getting very close to the border, and one day we may read about 21 people getting killed on the US side in a gangland dispute.

The criminals in Mexico are getting even more brazen in their attacks on the people of Mexico. June especially, has been a tough month. A popular gubernatorial candidate from the state Tamaulipas who campaigned about going hard against the narcos was killed Mexican Candidate for Governor Is Assassinated, then a popular musician became a victim to the very violence and corruption in his own music What happens when Art imitates Life in Mexico's brutal Drug War: Famous Mexican musician murdered, and finally, a mayor from the popular tourist city of Cancun and running for governor was arrested and jailed for corruption and drug offenses Mexico resort city mayor, jailed in drug case, vows to stay in governor race. June was one hell of a mouth south of the border were thugs made attempts to manipulate the political process and silence famous media personalities.

Were does it end? When the Presidential Palace is seized in Mexico City and the President is either killed or captured? President Felipe Calderon's War on Drugs is spiraling out of control. Almost thirty-thousand people have been killed in the violence since 2006 when the President vowed to get tough on the cartels. He ought to ask for assistance from the US as Columbia did during Pablo Escobar's reign of terror. The US has sent billions of dollars of aid and are we certain that the money is actually going toward the drug war? With corruption as rampant as ever and with many high-level political figures and bureaucrats in the pockets of the cartels, it would not be much of a stretch to believe that some if not most of this money is going to pockets of the people they are supposed to be fighting? This violence is even hurting the economy in Mexico as well. The snippet below refers to the recent assassination of the Mexican Gubernatorial candidate.

News of the killing spooked investors who are closely watching the rising level of violence for signs Calderon's government is losing control. Mexico's peso MXN=MEX01 weakened by as much as half a percent.

The United States is heavily involved in Calderon's strategy with a pledge of more than a billion dollars in drug-war aid to Mexico. Some foreign companies have closed some of their operations in dangerous cities along the U.S.-Mexico border and some tourists have been scared away by the violence. "This development seems harder to dismiss even from a strictly market standpoint than previous episodes of violence. This is because it represents an attack on the political process," said analyst Jimena Zuniga at Barclays Capital in New York.

www.reuters.com...

This situation has become a nightmare, and if it is allowed to persist; the US is going to have a failed state on their doorstep were the law of the jungle reigns supreme. More illegals will cross the border, because of a terrible security situation, and as the violence escalates; investments dissipate. No investments means no new jobs and essentially no economic growth.

There is more to this than amnesty, reinforcing the border, and sending financial aid to Mexico. If you ask me all the points mentioned in the last sentence are a mere drop in the bucket. The inaction by the US leadership and their Mexican counterparts is akin to being criminal. That is the major issue here as far as I am concerned. Why have they sat on their hands for so long until this thing has become an elephant in the room? I am concerned, because it seems the situation is becoming untenable for the Mexican government and the country is in the midst of chaos.

In the case of the US, which has a role in this drama; it is going to take a lot more than throwing money at the problem or passing blanket amnesty on illegal immigrants to remedy the situation. The criminals causing the violence and corruption in Mexico need to be rooted out and destroyed, or millions upon millions will be crossing as they have for years. If one can't make a living and have to look over their shoulders when leaving the house, then they will go to the place where they believe they can.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Apparently they didn't hear Obama say the other day that crime is down along the border and that the southern border is secure.

I'm beginning to think most of Americans are zombies that have no clue what is occurring in our country.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
What I wonder is how long until China gets openly involved. I've been watching Mexico's relationship with China for a while now. Here is a quote from CNN

"http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0601/11/ldt.01.html
LOU DOBBS TONIGHT
New Charges Pentagon Failed to Protect Troops With Adequate Body Armor; Alito Hearings Continue
Aired January 11, 2006 - 18:00 ET
We'll be live at The pentagon with the latest.
Deadly new threats to border patrol agents protecting our Southern border with Mexico. Protecting them from hired killers and even the Mexican military. That special report coming up tonight.
And Communist China's imperialism. How China is seizing important natural resources globally and challenging U.S. vital interests in Latin America.
Tonight, Communist China is rapidly expanding its influence to South America and threatening vital U.S. political and economic interests. Some say this is nothing less than a Communist Chinese imperialism. Christine Romans has our report."

Here is some information from an earlier report about ties between Mexico and China

"www.chinaview.cn 2005-01-25 16:28:40
MEXICO CITY, Jan. 24 (Xinhuanet) -- China and Mexico should work out new measures to enrich and deepen their strategic partnership, embodied in broad cooperation in political, economic and cultural fields, visiting Chinese Vice President Zeng Qinghong said Monday during a meeting with Mexican President Vicente Fox.
The two leaders had an in-depth exchange of views on their two countries' cooperation and reached extensive consensus.
Thirty-three years after the establishment of diplomatic ties, today's Sino-Mexican ties are full of vigor, Zeng said. Mutual trust has deepened over the years, bilateral cooperation in various sectors has been fruitful and the two countries have enjoyed good coordination on international affairs. All these havebrought practical benefits to the peoples of both nations, he said.
China is satisfied with the development of bilateral ties and appreciates Mexico's adherence to the one-China policy, the vice president said, adding that Mexico has become one of China's most important political and trading partners in Latin America."

top topics

join