It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purposeful lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Hello everyone. My name is Sid and I'm an average Engineering student. I've just completed my second year at University. In this time, I've met all sorts of people, I've made some friends and I've had the opportunity to observe the students around me ; their behavior, the things they talk about, and in general I've got the opportunity to experience the psychi of my peers.

In and outside University, the question of our future often pops up. The question of why we study and get our degrees is one that comes up implicitly and explicitly from time to time. The focus nowadays seems to be about our careers, making money and living a comfortable life. But for me, the question has always been, not what career I'm building up to, but what purpose. Our generation has a great task upon itself ; oil is running low and the switch to alternative energy is not just essential to the survival of mankind but the planet as a whole, transistors are soon to reach a critical size limit and if we are to continue to progress technologically a fundamental redesign of this basic building block will be essential, the population of the world continues to grow exponentially and with it the strain on basic resources and the need for ever faster technological and social "jumps". These are some of the more urgent matters we need to tend to, but there are other exciting developments like nanotechnology, stem cells, increased understanding of the human brain and the fundamental truths of our Universe, that promise to propel us into a new age.
But where is that enthusiasm we need ? I find comfort in believing that there is something greater than myself. In believing that the knowledge I gain is an asset to be used for the betterment of mankind. That my life has a purpose, and that we may together build a great future. I know there are others out there, searching for a purpose greater than their own comfort, who are open to the world and not closed into the shell of their material desires. In fact I'm sure every one of us has a yearning for such a purpose, but sometimes it just gets lost and trampled upon. I want to meet those people, I want us to be a team. Great ideas need stimulation from others. Einstein when working at the swiss patent office used to discuss his ideas with a small group of his friends and this kept him going. This is the kind of thing I envisioned having at University, a group that discussed and searched for solutions and ways to improve the world. I am still searching for such a group.
I want people to believe that they have a purpose and discuss it and make it happen.
I don't know how I can rally people into a group. It is awkward talking to my peers about this motive. Some don't understand it, and some will probably think I've gone all emo lol . But I just want us to think about how we are going to overcome some of the challenges that face us, just like a business would devise a strategy to overcome its challenges and be successful.
So the questions to ask yourself are ; do you want to live a purposeful life ? What are your assets ? Do you believe that we can rally others like us ? How do we do it ? How do we sustain it, and make it work ?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
There are people like Ghandi that can answer,'yes I've had a purposeful life' whom would answer your question 'What are my assets' with the shirt on my back.You can sit at a desk for 50 years get the big house,the frequent flyer ponts,the clothes-horse wife 30 years younger,the sports car yet be so unfit you cant walk a flight of stairs without gasping for breath,make sure you address quality of life OP not just quantity of financial reward.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Let me clarify what I meant by "assets" . For example, I would say, my asset is my passion for Science, and since I plan to specialize in electrical and information engineering, that will be my area of expertise - my asset so to speak. I know my purpose is in the area of Science, the question for me is how can I use my assets or expertise in this area to help make the world a better place, how can I derive a fitting purpose given my set of skills.

As for Gandhi and having a purposeful life. Having a purposeful life is a choice. Gandhi made that choice , and so can you.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by siddharthsma

Purposeful lives equal this:

Firstly, if you do not love and respect yourself, you will never lead a purposeful life.

Secondly, if you do not love and help others, you will never lead a purposeful life.

Thirdly, if you do not follow your own truth, you will never lead a purposeful life.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

In terms of information engineering,information is software a human can download and with the axiom imagine,believe and become(through application and effort)they can download this information and improve themself I would pick your passion and work around that be it electrical engineering with a focus on self sufficiency,post peak oil technology,free or very cheap energy or whatever.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Your life is already purposeful - great!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I know where you are coming from Sid, however I don't know how you will find a group of students who are as like minded as yourself. I have spent some time at Uni myself, so I know that the pressures of alcohol, womanizing and recreational drug taking can weigh heavy on the spiritual heart. The majority of your fellow students are just looking to get stoned, pissed or layed, ideally all 3 together, so I would not expect too much in the way of collaborative planet saving.

I suggest you try some more subtle methods of re-education. Try fitting in with your capitalist, self centered buddies, but always have your grand plan in the back of your mind. By using the theories of Oprah Winfrey and the secret of the secret, you may be able to influence these people to follow your path. That's what you want isn't it...free thinking followers like yourself?

Good Luck buddy, I wish I could be there to help, but I got 3 little entities of my own to enlighten.

new topics

top topics

join