It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medal of Honor may go to living soldier for first time in decades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Medald of honor- living

The Pentagon is preparing to nominate a living soldier for the Medal of Honor — the military's highest distinction — for the first time since the Vietnam War, the Washington Post reports Thursday. The Pentagon has not released the nominee's name while the award is under consideration, but the Post reports that he ran through a wall of enemy fire in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley, saving the lives of several comrades. Military officials told Post reporters Greg Jaffe and Craig Whitlock that even the soldier's own family does not know how far his nomination has gone: all the way to the White House (which must review the nomination).

Did I finally get to post something first....

[edit on 1-7-2010 by ripcontrol]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
CMOH

The Medal of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force which can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the Armed Services of the United States. Generally presented to its recipient by the President of the United States of America in the name of Congress.

Its the big one...

It interest me because of this.

As former enlisted this is one part of this that stuck in my head.

A person in the military with CMOH does not have to salute first to anybody. Honors are required by protocol to be rendered first by all others.

This means an E-1 does not have to make way or salute the President or 4 stars until they salute him first.

Plus the price most paid to receive it are very high.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Not being military, I still understand the importance of the CMOH.

I have nothing but respect for those it has been awarded to.

I hope and pray that if it is bestowed on this individual, it is done so in respect for the duty served and no cheapened or diminished in any way for a photo op or political ad. If it is justly warranted, that day, I will be very proud of what human spirit can accomplish.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I could have sworn there were two or three awarded during the first Gulf War and I would have assumed that by now at least a few had been given out in Iraq and/or Afghanistan. I guess not, though.

I've never been clear what gets one a CMH over, say, a Silver Star. Some of the Silver Star citation I've read sound like just about the most insane, brave things possible sometimes. No more and no less than ones I've read for the Medal of Honor.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

He might not have to salute first, but I betcha that medal on his chest wont make a lick of difference in the way he conducts himself....

People who behave like this under fire, are people with great moral character and fiber......hes probably the only one who wont notice he has it on

Good on the young man!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Yep, good on him.

Now if the poor guy can still walk he will be paraded around the country to push the war effort....

Publicity is needed to quell a population tired of war...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hi
a question. I just made a search on Google how this medal of honor looks like.
and i found this Picture Medal of Honor i think after viewing the image you know what i want to ask...., why is it that it looks like that pentagram-star or do you think thats a little bit too far fetched.
BTW.., and why 13 stars on the neckband???

[edit on 2-7-2010 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO]

[edit on 2-7-2010 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO

I think its a little wierd how the Main star is upside down compared to all the others above...And how most people envisage the star..

Why is that???

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO

Let me guess

It was designed by a...

Oh, never mind.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FearNoEvil

a high ranking (32/33 Degree Free Mason) Person
2e line