It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi: Unemployment checks create jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
www.washingtonexaminer.com... html

Pelosi: Unemployment benefits create more jobs than any other initiative
By: David Freddoso
Online Opinion Editor
07/01/10 5:35 PM EDT

I hear Nancy Pelosi speak, and all around me I can envision a bustling service sector sprouting up, creating new jobs to serve all of the Americans who are receiving their $425/week in unemployment benefits.

Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday…..

“It injects demand into the economy,” Pelosi said, arguing that when families have money to spend it keeps the economy churning. “It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.”

If only we had higher unemployment — then we could create even more jobs!

www.foxnews.com...

Pelosi: Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs
Published July 01, 2010

Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday.

Talking to reporters, the House speaker was defending a jobless benefits extension against those who say it gives recipients little incentive to work. By her reasoning, those checks are helping give somebody a job.

"It injects demand into the economy," Pelosi said, arguing that when families have money to spend it keeps the economy churning. "It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name."

Pelosi said the aid has the "double benefit" of helping those who lost their jobs and acting as a "job creator" on the side.

"It's impossible to think of a situation where we would have a country that would say we're not going to have unemployment benefits," Pelosi said.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Not that Pelosi ever had a mind, but she certainly has lost it.

Sooner we're rid of that old incompetent hag, the better.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
425 a week?
I had 2 jobs before I got ageism and racism'd out. My U/I was nowhere near 425.
Just finished a private assignment for 10 hours a day at 7 bucks an hour. Grateful for that, an IT degree gets you nowhere fast now.
4 th of July, no money to spend at local stores.
Got a chance at 9 bucks an hour, part-time, tho.
Thank God they cut that unemployment, I almost bought something.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
In Arizona, the cap is around $240/week. That's the top. Most of the unemployed I know get around $200/week. UI is useless, it's designed like welfare - keep you down, but keep you hooked.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by azguyblahblah

Yeah that's about right. $200 sounds about average. One misconception I hear is that unemployment lasts for 99 weeks or something like that. I got 8 weeks of unemployment and my first round ran out. Now I am waiting for the government to pass a bill. These people that keep spouting off people on unemployment should go find work and stop being lazy have no idea that at least in my circumstances with extensions, I will probably get enough money to last 5 months (nowhere near 99 weeks).

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbriefed
If only we had higher unemployment — then we could create even more jobs!

LOL.
That is classic! I can picture Pelosi trying to sell that very idea.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
During the dot-com bust, I went onto unemployment for a year. I searched for three months before filing for UI, and figured with a check coming in I could pause for a while. I figured I'd live on the dole for a couple more months and do something else. Between hard to find jobs and the unemployment checks coming in, I didn't feel much urgency to find a job. The expiration of benefits made finding a job more urgent, so I found a lower paying job and a lower position in my industry to make ends meet and to get rolling again. Had the expiration not been looming, I would've honed my skills at Doom and Age of Empires further.

I figured out how unemployment checks create jobs, at least, buy some sort of jobs, ___jobs. But Schwarzenegger just undermined Pelosi.

www.foxnews.com...

California Welfare Recipients Withdraw $12,000 From Strip Club ATMs
Published July 01, 2010

Strip clubs are known for doling out risque entertainment -- but welfare benefits?

That has been the case in California, where more than $12,000 in welfare cash was dispensed from strip club ATMs from 2007 to 2009 as part of the state's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, the Los Angeles Times reported. It turns out that those needy families weren't prohibited from using their state-issued ATM cards there, and some took advantage.
...More at link

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
and people think Palin is not that bright?

This idiot is 3rd in line for the Presidency? Yeah.....I can see that.....she is on about same level of brightness as Obama and Bite-me....I mean Biden.

top topics

join