It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale and Dolphin People Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
www.facebook.com...

Do you believe whales and dolphins are highly intelligent? Do you think that they have families, a culture, and emotions?

This facebook group is trying to gain support and need people to join.

What they are trying to do is to get status for whales and dolphins.

If a whale or a dolphin had the status of a person, then maybe governments would work to stop the slaughter.

While I know that whales and dolphins are not human, what is to say they aren't more like people than we can ever guess?

I do think they have a language, a culture, and feelings.

Whales and dolphins are highly intelligent and empathetic creatures. A lot of research has been done about the impact dolphins have on special needs and handicapped children.

I hope everyone will look into this. If you don't have a facebook account, I don't know what to do tell you. But if you do, please join this group. If they have enough support, maybe others will take notice and it will be a start to ending the slaughter.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

I agree that some slaughtering of these animals is completely uncalled for, but don't some cultures depend on sustainable whaling for their survival?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Those cultures that depend on the whale for survival probably love and respect the whales. Those cultures have been harvesting whales for generations upon generations. When they harvest a whale, it is not a slaughter. They are taught to use all parts of the whale, from the meat, skin and bones. I don't think they let anything go to waste. At least that is how it is supposed to be.

New generations of natives may be influeneced by other cultures and not stick to tradition. But I think tradtionally, they give great thanks to the spirit of the dying animal and they make use of all of it. They would not kill ten of them if they could only use one. At least that is how it is supposed to be. Maybe these days the youth do not hold to the old ways, and just kill for fun, I wouldn't know.

Those groups would probably be equally appaulled at the slaughter of many whales.

Just like when the Europeans came and slaughtered the majestic bison and only took the hide and tongue. The native American were appalled that anyone would shoot thousands of these animals and not use every part of them.

I know the Native Americans love the Buffalo and Bison, and there would actually be many many more of them today if it were not for the slaughter of them years ago.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by jessieg]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Didn't Germany give person status to apes?
Anyway, yeah, I prefer whales and dolphins to 98% of the people on this planet.
If I was on Facebook, I'd join.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Although I highly respect your cause, it will never happen.
People can't even treat other people like human beings.

I'm against the idea to let people swim with dolphins and such actually.
They are asking for better rights for these animals and at the same time give them a job ?

I feel deeply about the cetacean species group, but they should be left alone and save.
From hunters and ill people.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well I see nothing wrong with giving person status to Apes as well. That might keep people from owning them as pets.

I know that some apes have been taught sign language and have even taught it to their offspring.

While animals such as dolphins, whales, and apes are not "people" like we are, I do believe they are special. There is something to be learned from them. They are loving and forgiving creatures that have a lot to teach humans.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well, the way I see it, we as a species have nothing to lord over any of these animals. We are just another species of animal ourselves, and we definitely don't behave any better. If we are persons, so are they.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
if these silly fish can get a twitter or face book account then i'll give these overgrown, selfish guppies some respect..

until then...if they were so damn smart they would stop clogging up our tuna nets and do something productive.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by wrathchild]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

I claim that these "fish", or rather mammals are probably more intelligent than you.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

I thought british people understood sarcasm...

I still say those dolphins are jerks.

new topics

top topics

join