It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pay Perview Pimps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I really do believe that with all the channels available, on my two hundred dollar
a month cable t.v. service. That with around a hundred and fifty channels, there really should be something on all the time. Something entertaining like this.

Most every one agrees the MSM is a total brainwashing mechanism, bought out by TPTB along time ago. Most of us around here anyway. Those who don't know this or disagree. State your case, love to hear it.

So what the hell is up with the entertainment industry anyway. Let's just exclude all the big screen movies for this thread. Focusing on regular programming over the air waves. I swear on my skin, I was far more entertained as kid, having seven channels with regular commercial intervals, for free. Now, I'm shilling out two hundred a month to watch paid programmings info merfs.

Even the movie channels make sure they play crap movies. Rarely is there a hit movie involved. To see one of those, we have this other channel, you can order and pay, some more, for to see, to you, for giving us, some fricking more. Sorry,
just kind of felt that. I laugh at all the sex the pimps are pumping into the regular programming too. The gay agenda is way over the top in the media and that's not prejudice because even the ones I know say so. The excuse producers like is,
" Sex sells" which really just passes the buck back to us as usual.

I think I'm done. I may have a tough time convincing the rest of my house, but I'm ready to try and be without. One thing I have always felt the muslims have absolutly correct, is at least now days, that reciever is an evil thing. With the exception of a few shows on history channel. (recently even fewer) I get nothing for my money. Just a bunch of crap they want to pump into my home. Exposing the younger ones to this garbage that quite frankly, I'm glad I was never exposed to when I was a kid.

So glad for the type of programming that was on when I was young, stuff like this.

T.V. was actually very entertaining at one time.
We will never have shows like that again I'm afraid. Thanks to all the pay perview pimps.

Thank you for the move Mods, didn't realise we had this forum.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Last I heard yesterday, HULU is going all pay-per-view? Why not, it was down to nothing.
You Tube wanted to do so this year, I am sure they are still working on it.
I cut the cable. NO more commercials, can't stand another single one.
The show you highlighted was entertaining.
I had seen one entertaining show a few years ago.
Pay, pay, pay, and now they want me to get a digital license plate to convince you, driving behind me, to buy some more carp, lol.
That reminds me of a good movie we downloaded (ar, har, fiddle-dee-dee) last year.
THEY LIVE.
Did the people on They Live actually buy that junk or was it just noise?
Entertainment Industry is garbage-o to everyone I know.
Love live guitar music in the park ! My Friend does live theater in Long Beach, pretty sweet.
peace.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Oh man awesome!

Was just having this coversation with my buddy the other day.

T.V. is useless other than like you said the few learning channels and sports. (which isn't getting any better in my opinion)

I pay for HBO and for how big HBO is, why is it the majority of the movies they play not great at all, they have a few decent series programs, boxing and some comedy stand ups.

Pay-per-view is a sham and gotta love the extra $10+ charge for HD! haha what a joke.

seriously though after a day of sitting and watching t.v. All I get from it was some drama and some more drama oh and reality.....drama.

It's almost embarassing to watch it!
The radio is the same if not worse --- Such low brow music is played. Almost like it seems like radio stations have to play some horrible songs a certain amount of times.

Anyways star and flag OP got me goin!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Just give up on TV and buy these shows on dvd if you can, just walk away from the tv, it's absolute garbage these days, full of stuff about celebrities and the latest product or news that isn't really news but just fillers and flashy ads.

Just cancel the cable or satellite and use the internet to get the movies you want to watch. If you can't afford to pay for these shows or movies try use the torrent network to find your stuff.

I cancelled my TV subscription because no shows were worth watching maybe these shows appeal to the hypnotized and the asleep, who will be content just to sit and watch an infomercial or news repeats.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Just give up on TV and buy these shows on dvd if you can, just walk away from the tv, it's absolute garbage these days, full of stuff about celebrities and the latest product or news that isn't really news but just fillers and flashy ads.

Ya,I think all I need is the little bit of encouragement I'm getting here now.
Thanks. I'm so fed up with it. The rest of us, will have to learn the ways you guys are telling me about, because it just is'n't worth it. So I will put my best foot forward for everyones sake. I will miss Sponge Bob, but that's about it.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
here I sit...on my computer...

my $3000 51 inch HD sits silent.

my $500 HD PVR sits silent.

if it wasn't for myth-busters or a hockey game I would never turn the TV on.

I do attempt t watch criminal minds everynight as I fall asleep in bed ...never get to the second commercial break.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
If cable wasn't included with my apartment I wouldn't have it. Even still, with the schedule available online here are days at a time when I doesn'y get turned on because I can look and see that there is nothing worth watching.

It's not just that the programming is garbage, sit and watch the new shows...it's all rehash. If it isn't a direct rework of scripts from older shows then it is a clone of something.

When it comes to 'must see tv'...there are only really 2 shows, both on PBS. NOVA on Tuesday and Secrets of the Dead on Wednesday. Depending on what is on POV or Frontline immediately after I may watch that too (and now and then the Cartoon Network for a dose of Futurama).

Discovery and History Channel are still ok, but even they are slipping .

The news is nothing more than paid programming now...it doesn't matter if it's 24 hours or the 11 o' clock; I only watch it now to see what the masses are being told (although to be fair my home-page is covered with feeds from different sources all over the world).

Other than that there isn't much on that appeals to me in the slightest...I can't even say when the last time that I watched ANYTHING on the major networks was; too much propaganda ALL THE TIME.

With the exception of F1 racing I don't watch sports either.

I could say that I feel disconnected to those around me because I don't watch the newest drama, reality show or sports event, but then again that's nothing new; my tv viewing has always been for knowledge.

Sadly, there is less and less knowledge available based on lowest common denominator programming.

Part of the problem is that there are so many channels, ad revenues are not what they were as a result. On the other hand if the 'standard' programming improved maybe that wouldn't be a problem.

PPV tv I think is the last gasp, it's a way for providers to soak even more money out of customers just to watch something decent. It will come to the internet sooner rather than later, I just hope they realize that none of their PPV material is covered by the ISP's.

You Tube isn't a feature of internet service, it is a voluntary option. I'll watch some idiot try to jump his house on a skateboard for free, but I won't pay for it.

Especially if that means I'm paying to watch their ads too.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
personally I can always find something to watch. even if its OnDemand's free stuff. Until I was 15 we didnt even have cable so we got like 5 channels. I could never be bored with TV after that.

plus I discovered RTV channel which has all old TV show's like OP's Dean Martin. Well actually not that show, but in about 10 minutes I'll be watching Rockford Files
!

I know people have attention problems these days, but luckily I'm not one of them...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Neither my honey nor I watch any tv at all, we use the tv for the occasional video game(my favorites are on snes or psx).
Amusingly he works for a cable company; free internet access, free cable(that we only touch if there is a big storm, the local weather update channel. No comercials

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Ive clocked over 10 yrs with no TV, probably closer to 15yrs - so I have no idea what you are all complaining about

I think the last TV show I watched regularly was Dr Who, and that sure was a long time ago. I understand they have made a couple new series since I watched the last of it lol.

As for sport - vomit - no thanks, thats the circuses part of the bread and circuses equation.

"Yay, go local sporting team!" Riii-ght.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Amagnon]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

Ive clocked over 10 yrs with no TV, probably closer to 15yrs - so I have no idea what you are all complaining about

Well arn't you all bad?

[edit on 2-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm going to stick up for TV. Granted, there is a tremendous amount of terrible stuff on, a lot of it isn't worth anybody's time. Even channels like History Channel are usually bad, mostly because the lack of diverse topics. That doesn't mean that people don't still make great television. Granted, your tastes and your threshold for the profane might not agree with modern TV, you seem to like comedy-variety shows and westerns, neither of which you can find today.

It really depends on what you like, but there have been some great shows in the last twenty years such as: The Wire, Arrested Development, Breaking Bad, NewsRadio, Generation Kill, The Simpsons season 3-8, 30 Rock, both versions of The Office, Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, Mr. Show, carnivale and a lot more. There are supposedly great shows I haven't seen like Sopranos and Deadwood and shows that people love that I don't care for like Mad Men and Lost.

I think TV is better than ever just because the good stuff is so good it outweighs the mountain of bad stuff. When I was a kid I watched a lot of TVLand, so I have a grasp on old television. I love Andy Griffith and Barney Miller, but a lot of old TV was great either. Comedies like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie had the same plots every week, most of the dramas were poorly paced and not well acted and no one cared about making satisfying story arcs.

I watch most of my shows on DVD or by finding them online, so I'm not necessarily saying watch TV. I'm just saying TV isn't as bad as most people think it is.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
RandyVS:

"With the exception of a few shows on history channel. (recently even fewer)"
--------------------------------------------------

the history channel is one of the worst propaganda peddler's out there. if they are not pushing down your throat how awesome our military is they are taking you into back woods areas to find imaginary monsters. they push new age mystism(sp) under the guise of alternative history, the history channel has more shows relating to ufo's loaded with conjecture and no proof than any other station that i recieve(basic cable here). at the moment i currently only watch some TVLand fo nostalgia and an hour of cartoon network every so often when i need my family guy fix. really the only history they portray in any detail is WWII( and even then its all skewed), if i didnt know better i would say the producers have an unhealthy infatuation with hitler..

s+f thanks for the thread op

~meathead

[edit on 4-7-2010 by Mike Stivic]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

I'm going to stick up for TV. Granted, there is a tremendous amount of terrible stuff on, a lot of it isn't worth anybody's time. Even channels like History Channel are usually bad, mostly because the lack of diverse topics. That doesn't mean that people don't still make great television. Granted, your tastes and your threshold for the profane might not agree with modern TV, you seem to like comedy-variety shows and westerns, neither of which you can find today.

Wow you're the first one. I thank you for your truth .

And speaking of truth this would make an awesome column.
Mike Stivic

the history channel is one of the worst propaganda peddler's out there. if they are not pushing down your throat how awesome our military is they are taking you into back woods areas to find imaginary monsters. they push new age mystism(sp) under the guise of alternative history, the history channel has more shows relating to ufo's loaded with conjecture and no proof than any other station that i recieve(basic cable here). at the moment i currently only watch some TVLand fo nostalgia and an hour of cartoon network every so often when i need my family guy fix. really the only history they portray in any detail is WWII( and even then its all skewed), if i didnt know better i would say the producers have an unhealthy infatuation with hitler..

[edit on 4-7-2010 by randyvs]

top topics

join