It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP oil leak now biggest spill ever in Gulf of Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I apologize if there is already a thread for this, but I thought I'd point out that the BP oil leak has now surpassed the Ixtoc leak as the biggst spill ever in the Gulf.

Many of us thought that this leak would just be a minor one that would be shut off in a couple of days after it was detected, no big deal. Here we are couple of Months later and we're talking about the largest spill ever in the Gulf.

According to the Associated Press, the current oil leak disaster that began on April 20th, killing eleven men, has hit 140.6 million gallons leaked into the Gulf. The previous record from the Ixtoc was 140 million gallons.

Source

[edit on 7/1/2010 by muse7]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well, this was only a matter of time. It has been expected to beat the Ixtoc I spill for the last couple of weeks. I highly doubt it will be stopped before it tops the recent 214 million gallon blast in the Nigeria Delta. And please, for all that is sacred in the world, dont let it come close to the Persian Gulf release that topped somewhere around 510 million gallons.

One also has to wonder how accurate the numbers really are, since they are suppressing so much of the oil with chemicals and dispersants to keep it deep underwater.

join