It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most People Don't Care

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Tha Girl They Call Roc

I'm sorry but this is just an incredibly ignorant comment, and the reason I say so is that I happen to live in California, and personally have already volunteered to go and help clean up the spill. In fact, I know of no one who isn't concerned about the spill.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I speak for myself when I say that I care (from New York City, btw).

I have a bp gas station down the block from me. I DON'T boycott the station because I know that they'll eventually become bankrupted (with the lawsuits, costs of "clean up", loss of oil, boycotts, etc.), which also means: Americans will be less compensated for their losses eventually. So, I don't really see the point in boycotting at this point.

Although my boyfriend believes that BP will eventually split into BP international and BP america, giving virtually no assets over to bp america, screwing everyone over in the gulf coast/U.S. And when that happens, I'll boycott.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

Excellent post. I agree with you 100%. Our society has truly lost its way, if it ever had a way in the first place. The very thing that connects us all intricately (love) is the very emotion that is the most under attack and highly ignored by the majority of western civilization. People have lost their connection to each other, the planet, and the Universe. Those in service to self will one day realize that the self cannot exist without the recognition and the assimilation of the collective. If no one is there to recognize your existence, then, what is the point of existing in the first place? They will learn that the self is merely an extension of the whole which gives us the illusion of separation and individuality. Its a shame that Americans are driven primarily by ego and the ID stage of development. That's barely one notch above being a Neanderthal. So much for the evolution of the homosapien.

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Um...guys - by "boycotting" a BP gas station, you are almost doing nothing.

I read that BP itself owns maybe about 200-300 gas stations on the west coast. The rest of them are just leased for the name - so in otherwords, BP has already got their money from the rest of the gas station owners.

BP can sell their gas/oil to production companies and all different kinds of gas stations across the world. Not just "BP" ones.

By buying almost any product, you are supporting the oil machine.

So if you are going to boycott BP, make sure to boycott your entire way of life.

People should certainly care about this event. A boycott will only work if you own a MAJOR production component of the economy that uses BP products...which I doubt any of us here have that sort of power.

You can care by speaking. Talking. Getting the word out. Informing.

Society needs to collectively reduce the demand for oil and instead increase demand for alternative energies. Thats the only way you will have a chance.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoX42
reply to post by OuttaTime

Excellent post. I agree with you 100%. Our society has truly lost its way, if it ever had a way in the first place. The very thing that connects us all intricately (love) is the very emotion that is the most under attack and highly ignored by the majority of western civilization. People have lost their connection to each other, the planet, and the Universe. Those in service to self will one day realize that the self cannot exist without the recognition and the assimilation of the collective. If no one is there to recognize your existence, then, what is the point of existing in the first place? They will learn that the self is merely an extension of the whole which gives us the illusion of separation and individuality. Its a shame that Americans are driven primarily by ego and the ID stage of development. That's barely one notch above being a Neanderthal. So much for the evolution of the homosapien.

Namaste and Love

Quite right. The path often taken is the path well worn. The folks that have decided to take a different path are the one being chastized for not following the flock. We have progressed prolifically yet the products of our invention have been applied against us. Technology is a gateway and a barrier at the same time.
Often in times of need is when people drop these barriers and begin to rely on those around them for help and support. The 'pride and ego' aspect controls all that we are. The bigger the ego, the smaller the spirit. It would seem that we as a species are devolving in a world of progressive technology. The more we depend on it, the more we begin to disconnect from who we really are. It is a tool and a trap at the same time. But with all things, there must be balance. Half will deny and half will confirm. We understand that there will always be conflict and oppression, but at the same time there is dignity and compassion for the plight of humanity. Free will becomes a factor as to whether we will act/react.
We want to care, as a whole, but many will only think what their 'friends' deem proper to think. Granted there are some who think only what they see as logical, whether it is wholly logical or not is unto their personal discretion.
If everyone agreed with everyone else, there wouldn't be much to talk about, would there?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ok. This is a big thread with tons of opinions.

Excluding all ATS members, (150,000+)
This is why no one cares.

Everyone still gets what they want

If you take away cable television, people would care.
If American Idol couldn't play anymore because of it, people would care.
If it killed the Internet, people would care.
If McDonalds would go bankrupt, people would care.
Etc.

Do you see my point?

It has been made here already a few times.
If something terrible doesn't effect a person directly...they won't care.

Sad thing is, even though posters admit it, everyone is slightly at fault.

I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would quit their life/job/livelyhood to go down and help.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Unfortunately this is the effect of the government. People are starting to not trust anyone but their own "kind"

I've noticed this for a wile. Though only between west and east coast. It saddens me that it has spread.

This was played on in the short TV series Jericho. It is becoming a reality.

Many of us say "oh, if the government ever fell, we would just stay together and rebuild.

Not so.

The reality is that regional united states would form, eventually mixing and matching until just two sides remained. Then there would be a war.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

They may not care now...

But they will when this ecological and economical disaster affects them and it will very soon!!

Don't be discouraged; a new day is dawning in America. It's sad that so many innocents will be affected but a huge change will happen very soon.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by whaaa]

You make it sound as if you WANT the disaster to be so bad it affects more people!!! "Don' t be discouraged...they will suffer from it soon????????

Shame on you...let not hope for the worst, but the best.

Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
Um...guys - by "boycotting" a BP gas station, you are almost doing nothing.

I don't care. If I'm doing a teeny-tiny part to give them less business, I'll do it! If everyone did it, it would make a big difference.

By buying almost any product, you are supporting the oil machine.

Sadly, this is true.

So if you are going to boycott BP, make sure to boycott your entire way of life.

That's not a bad idea. We HAVE to live differently if we want different results.

Society needs to collectively reduce the demand for oil and instead increase demand for alternative energies. Thats the only way you will have a chance.

Agreed!

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
You make it sound as if you WANT the disaster to be so bad it affects more people!!!

I think you're reading something that isn't there. JMO.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
Next time you find someone that doesn't care, ask them if they are Christian.

I say this because I own a metaphysical bookstore and I end up talking about the Gulf spill to everyone who walks through my door. Guess what? Everyone I have talked to is not only deeply concerned, but are downright alarmed and feel that this is a harbinger of something else.

Most Christians are raised to believe in dominion-ism. They think God made this for us to use as we please because we have dominion over everything and in the end they are raptured into heaven once they use it all up.

I bet if you ask anyone that has any enlightenment they will tell you different.

You know, I have really been trying not to write what I am about to write. I really wanted to keep this to myself, I didn't want to start a Christian bashing thread, but this has to be said.

I live right on the Gulf Coast in a small town with a handful of beautiful barrier islands.

I've been trying to get involved with the disaster and volunteer as much as possible to help out wherever and however I can.

A friend (who is Christian) informed me that his church was organizing a trip/meeting on the main island to pick up trash before the oil reaches us.

I figured what the heck, I'm not Christian but it's a for a good cause. I'll go out and pick up trash with this group of people. How bad can it be?

Well I got out to the island, made it to the beach and was surprised that so many people made it out to help. About 50 people were gathered around a little impromptu stage and were all singing Christian songs together.

I figured okay, they are just going to sing a song or two then maybe say a prayer and then we can get to work.

They went on and on about how God will fix this disaster and restore the earth.

An hour later after many songs and much praying to God to fix this disaster, the group leader said anyone that wants to help clean up come up and get some supplies. Huh? I thought everyone was there to cleanup?

The only people to actual pick up trash were myself and the friend that invited me. Two people out of at least 50! I guess the rest thought that God, prayers and singing would take care of the trash and fix this disaster.

Let's just say I was pretty ticked off and disgusted.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by lucentenigma]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't know EXACTLY what you're referring to but hopefully a majority of the 89% is the assholes who've lost touch with the world's status and are so dementedly hypnotized by TPTB that they only care about iToys and SmartPhones.

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Same around here, and some people haven't even heard about it. Hey, it's America, it's the human species, what did you expect. I mean, there's little children dying all around the world from starvation and nasty drinking water, and people line up here to be the first to get the latest POS slave manufactured iToy. It's why humanity is doomed and headed for hell. Fret not though, 89% of humanity will be gone from the Earth by November of next year.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky

Originally posted by whaaa

They may not care now...

But they will when this ecological and economical disaster affects them and it will very soon!!

Don't be discouraged; a new day is dawning in America. It's sad that so many innocents will be affected but a huge change will happen very soon.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by whaaa]

You make it sound as if you WANT the disaster to be so bad it affects more people!!! "Don' t be discouraged...they will suffer from it soon????????

Shame on you...let not hope for the worst, but the best.

Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

To put this in another concept, let's consider the American Indians. Yes they hunted and lived from the land. Even though some were empirical tribes and others were not, let's progress beyond that for a sec. For centuries the Indians moved around on this land, and often followed herds of buffalo. They took only what they needed to survive, often staying in one place to plant and harvest. Then along came the invaders from Europe who basically hunted buffalo to extinction. Their actions had huge impacts on the native population. Why were buffalo hunted in such quantities? Meat and fur. But instead of the invaders only taking what they needed to survive, they slaughtered millions in order to get into the fur trading business. They were killed for commerce. And when they all but destroyed the herds, they nearly starved to death because they massacred the food chain for profit. Just like what the Japanese are doing on the whales. Mankind fully asserts it's dominion over all the planet, which makes sure that the world knows when we've driven another species to its' extinction.
It is our mental images of survival of a species and an individual that makes us impervious to the carnage. We've dulled our perceptions and desensitized our logic for reasons not fully known or understood.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
You know, everyone I know around here (n. US Rockey mountains) are deeply concerned about the spill and the welfare of the southern population. Most people are completely appalled by the actions being taken (or not being taken). Those that don't know about the horrible things that are going on, I educate them (as I should and so should you).

To be honest (even though I've been very deeply concerned since day 1) it really didn't hit me until I went into the seafood section of the grocery store and my favorite fish, red snapper was no where to be found. There wasn't any salt water species at all.

Not really why I'm concerned but that's when it hit me.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shikamaru
I don't know EXACTLY what you're referring to but hopefully a majority of the 89% is the assholes who've lost touch with the world's status and are so dementedly hypnotized by TPTB that they only care about iToys and SmartPhones.

My point also. I'd written an article about it during the Haiti disaster. For what some fashion junkies spend on a Gucci purse, they could feed a family of 5 in a 3rd world country for months. Vanity is indeed a sad thing.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
So many people expressing that they don't care goes to show just how torn apart this country is. It absolutely disgusts me and makes me very furious to see and hear how selfish Americans are, but sadly it doesn't surprise me. Ive had an issue making people care about things that affect this country even before the oil spill. Majority of Americans have forgotten what it feels like to be Patriotic. They have forgotten how to love their country and their fellow countrymen. They have forgotten this nation's roots and don't care how we got what we have and what it took to get it.

One day in the not too near future these people who I have mentioned will have to look in the mirror and take responsibility for what has happened to this nation. We will fall. With the selfish mindset most Americans have adopted it will be impossible to come together in time of crisis and need.

As far as I'm concerned, ignoring what is happening in the Gulf is a mild form of treason; as not caring about a disaster that will most definitely change and affect the lives of 10's of millions of Americans is UN-American and just plain selfish.

Our forefathers and all of the sacrifices they made for this nation have been forgotten and disrespected. While history of the world has showed us that all great empires do eventually fall, less then 250-300 years was pretty damn quick. I have to quit typing right now because my anger is going to cause me to smash my laptop into the wall. Honestly, even though it makes me no better then the non-carers by saying this, I hope everyone who turns their back on their nation and it's people during their time of crisis burn in hell and die as painful of a death as possible. It's what they deserve.

May the higher power bless the USA. We 're going to need it

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Apathy is mankinds downfall in my opinion. Not caring is in my opinion the reason we are in messes like this and everything else wrong with us. Because, if we actually cared as a species,we would actually care, which is kind of an oxy moron but the only way I can put it...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

You're right. And even as the crisis on the Mexico/Arizona border continues to get worse, too many people are oblivious to it. It is just as the MSM wants it to be. Most people won't get involved until a stray bullet comes through their triple pane insulated Anderson Window and wrecks their 50" flatscreen, after it ricochets off their shiny new iPad. But if Lady Gaga goes on TV and says it's ridiculous, then the sheep will obey.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tappy

Tappy,

It did not fall on deaf ears. What you say is the most realistic post yet..
gut I am only on page 5.

Not all doom and gloom, especially only from people with 2nd, 3rd or MSM sources. If you are not there or have never been there that is all they have to relate to and form opinions on.

Most people care to the point of being empathetic for those affected by these disasters. e.g.: Chernobyl, Haiti EQ, etc. It's bad and you can feel for them but yes we all have our own problems as well.

I lived and worked in Louisiana and on the rigs in the Gulf most of my adult life. Now I live and work here in the ME and the people really care here as much as in the GoM because we can relate being an oil country, too.

Luckily the water here is a bit shallower and haven't had any blowouts to speak of.

Well anyway you have a very realistic outlook.

Thanks and 73's,
Tom

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Fret not though, 89% of humanity will be gone from the Earth by November of next year.

That's one powerful quote Divinorumus. Care to share where you got that percentage from? You also mentioned it occurring by November 2011. Is that date from the same source as the percentage you mentioned? I'd certainly like to read the source(s), as would other members of ATS, I'm sure.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I agree with you, Re: Deep Water Disaster. It is a shame that so many people just don’t care, or better yet, choose not to care. They live in their own world and if nothing disrupts that life, they could care less about anyone else. But...when something does happen, all of a sudden, they are demanding that the government comes to their aid or everyone is to help.

This disaster is going to effect this world so much more than anyone can think of. Our ecosystem has now been compromised more now than it already was.

Now what do we do?

Just the same as I have said “now we worry”, now we try to find ways to stop this from happening again, let me say that again, AGAIN. it has happened and it now has happened again.

We as humans are so hungry for power, money that we are killing our own world and existence. If we don’t kill our selves, this worlds will find a way to extinct us form the face of the earth, if we harm our earth, it will harm us.

The facts are, the spills have happened, the waters are now threatened, the life that lives in these waters are now threatened, human life on ground will suffer the consequence of the decisions we have made and allowed.

This is sad, I feel sad that so many don’t care. At least I care and see so many errors in the way our government has handled the laws and this great disastrous spill. Can I do something, me myself could not even make a dent, but we all could.

We will now have to live on this earth with the effects of the spill and the damage we have done to this earth.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join