It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All life may be derived from quantum effects

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Article

A model suggests that the twin helix DNA macromolecule, the cornerstone of a great portion of life on Earth, may employ quantum entanglement to become stable.

Now quantum physicists from Singapore and the US have come up with an idea which, if proven true, will make us see life from a different perspective. They believe that DNA, the medium used to store and replicate genetic information by all but the simplest life forms, is bound together by a quantum effect.

Due to the size and structure of the double helix molecule, these harmonic oscillators become entangled, and this effect remains significant even at normal temperatures. Moreover, without this quantum interaction the whole system would become unstable and rip itself apart, researchers believe.

The theory is yet to be proved by experimentation. Authors of the paper have also come up with the question of how the entanglement may affect information processing in living cells and how it could be harnessed.

This still has to be proven, it is a theory at the moment. Im not an expert on quantum physics, but this is something Ive never heard of before. DNA bound together by quantum effect?

If this is proven true, I wonder what this will do to the science community? More research into the field of quantum physics? It will be interesting to see what happens next.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Nice Find

What would be cool to find out from the experiments is what exactly the extent of the quantum entanglement is in the creation and activities of the DNA, whether its direct or indirect.

But I feel it will be a while since we are only starting to understand quantum physics and mechanics.

Lets wait and see what is found

SM

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
i have posted below an abstract of some current research that i have been looking at recently. i was unable to locate an online copy.

i think what we are getting at here is that the spin state of a single nucleotide base pair (A-T or C-G), can have an effect on the spin states of base pairs across the entire molecule. in other words, the spin state of a single molecule of DNA is totally coherent zero-sum, noise.

this can be compared to the particle/wave duality of quantum mechanics. and in this way, we are saying that the entire molecule of DNA is a quantum object because its spin state is in a super-position of UP and DOWN.

what this does is open up the DNA molecule to non-local effects which allows consciousness to physically manifest through it as perhaps a hyper-dimensional radio transciever.

[disclaimer: please read the above as purely speculative pseudo-science. i will not be arguing quantum mechanics today.
]

Title:
Triplet–singlet spin communication between DNA nucleotides serves the basis for quantum computing.

Source:
Chemical Physics Letters; Feb2007, Vol. 436 Issue 1-3, p258-262, 5p

Abstract:
The nature of spin communication between DNA nucleotide pairs is discussed. The results are based on CIU (2×106 configurations, 6-311G∗∗ basis set) quantum chemistry computations at a constant temperature T =310K of complementary nucleotide pairs, guanosine–cytidine (G–C) and adenosine–thymidine (A–T) monophosphates, assembled into DNA fragments of different length. Calculations reveal alternation of low energy triplet–singlet (T–S) potential energy surfaces (PESs), assigned to individual nucleotides. In a narrow energy interval these PESs approach, showing repulsion and uncommon crossings. Complementary nucleotide pairing, a result of Watson–Crick hydrogen bonding, produces a global minimum in total energy, coming from the unique crossing between two singlet by nature PESs strictly around 310K. Interaction between non-complementary nucleotides reveals no minima and points rather to system destabilization. Computations show that regularly organized DNA is a structure of similarly oriented spins along each of its two chains, so that the resultant spin of the whole structure is equal to zero. Disordering in spin structure produces coherent effects, appearing in spin flipping, which serves the basis for constructing DNA-based quantum computing. [Copyright &y& Elsevier]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

i don't want to discuss it either - i'll just say i think that's great.

i think it won't be *pseudo* science for long.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I don't really know what to think of these kinds of things. I mean, what does this really mean anyways? How will our lives be any different? I understand that the world of the very small operates entirely different than our macro model, but so what? Perhaps there's something that others are gleaming here, but for me. . it doesn't really say much. I have no problem accepting the notion of entanglement. In fact, I've intuitively known of such a principal before even hearing it. It just makes sense to me that there's much more going on under the surface, and we're all interconnected, but still . . what does this actually do for us? Can we use this discovery to better ourselves in any way? I'm just askin.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

This still has to be proven, it is a theory at the moment. Im not an expert on quantum physics, but this is something Ive never heard of before. DNA bound together by quantum effect?

This is just another sad attempt to sensationalize the science of quantum mechanics. Take tgidkp reply as an example. Idealists will always try to relegate consciousness as being something that it's not.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Dad: Now son... See that house over there...

Son: Yes dad??

Dad: That house son, is made of Bricks...

Son: Wooooow Really?? That big structure is actually made of smaller structures?? That's amasing...

Dad: Yes, and do you know what??

Son: What dad??

Dad: it's all held together with stuff Called mortar.

Son: Wooow really?? But dad??

Dad: Yes Son..

Son: I thought that matter was held together because of the quantum effects of Boson sub atomic partciles and the wierd effects of quantum Mechanics??

Dad: Lets just kick a football around shall we???

Korg..

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
IF this theory turns out to be correct and shown to be via experimentation, then expect HUGE advances in Nanotechnology, quantum computers, and EXPECT a lot more research into practical ways to use this. DNA based quantum computers, integration of man and machine at a MUCH faster pace than it's already going. IF this theory turns out to be correct, OMG, the things that could be done. Technology AND Biology (genetics, etc) will advance soo much faster than it already is. There will probably be a new kind kind of research term like genetics, but much different. Leaps and Bounds.... Leaps and Bounds...

OMG think of the data transfer rates.... Quantum DNA Entanglement processors transfering information over large distances without wires, and since DNA is much much larger than an electron or photon, etc, it will be so much easier and faster to do...'

I cant wait. I bet this theory turns out to be correct...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Ive often thought that the matter that makes up our body is all entangled together since we are one organism/life form.

I think this theory has a good chance of turning out to be true.

The quantum world is eerie and strange. Its like the rest of the universe bubbles up from this foam of particles/potential particles/ and virtual particles. its like the surface of choppy water, we get peaks and low points, which provides differentiation and polarity, and gets the process moving, instead of just having a static dead field where its surface is flat like glass.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Ive often thought that the matter that makes up our body is all entangled together since we are one organism/life form.

That just sounds like an attempt to sensationalize the science of biology by equating it to quantum mechanics.

I think this theory has a good chance of turning out to be true.

In my opinion, I doubt it.

The quantum world is eerie and strange. Its like the rest of the universe bubbles up from this foam of particles/potential particles/ and virtual particles. its like the surface of choppy water, we get peaks and low points, which provides differentiation and polarity, and gets the process moving, instead of just having a static dead field where its surface is flat like glass.

While I did enjoy the analogy, I also found it rather lacking in explanation. I personally think people are latching onto the idea of quantum mechanics, entanglement and observer effect paradigms because it gives an air of mysticism to the universe. Such modes of thinking has been utilized by our species since the dawn of religions.

I think once we dispel with all that nonsense then we'll learn reality is much cooler than that.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

That wasnt "an attempt to sensationalize the science of biology by equating it to quantum mechanics. " whatever that means. It was, as I said, A "thought". you are wrong, dear sir. Our universe is a highly inter-connected system. Everything effects everything else. the world is built upon, level by level. Quantum>subatomic>atomic>nuclear>molecular>chemical> ect. so to say the quantum level would have no effect on the biological level is rather ludicrous and ignorant at best.

While I did enjoy the analogy, I also found it rather lacking in explanation.

That would be because im not a quantum physicist? Maybe?

I personally think people are latching onto the idea of quantum mechanics, entanglement and observer effect paradigms because it gives an air of mysticism to the universe. Such modes of thinking has been utilized by our species since the dawn of religions.

I never once said anything about mysticism or religion, so i dont see why your bringing up those topics. Im interested in these topics because, 1, their interesting, and 2, these topics will be able to tell us more about the universe.

and then you give yourself away by saying

I think once we dispel with all that nonsense then we'll learn reality is much cooler than that.
How is "quantum mechanics, entanglement and observer effect paradigms" nonsense? How are these theories not cool? as they are a slap in the face to conventional/newtonian thinking. And what theories or ideas of your own do you have to throw out there that are "cooler" instead of just random bashing on people? you can bash my OPINIONS all you want, but what did you bring to the table?

[edit on 7/2/2010 by VonDoomen]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by sirnex

the world is built upon, level by level. Quantum>subatomic>atomic>nuclear>molecular>chemical> ect. so to say the quantum level would have no effect on the biological level is rather ludicrous and ignorant at best.

Okay then I'm ignorant and being ludicrous here, but please explain to me how the quantum level effects us, because as far as I can tell, it rarely if ever does. Take the atomic level for instance. These atoms are doing their thing, and we perceive these bunches of atoms as objects. How is it that being aware of these atoms does much of anything for me? I understand that we've created nuclear energy from this, but in everyday life . . I go to work, eat, sleep, repeat. These atoms bouncing around does nothing for me in a practical sense. Sure, if they didn't exist, I wouldn't even be here, but it has always been this way as long as humans have existed. I just don't think much has changed.

How is it that the quantum level effects us on a biological level? Can you prove this? Can anyone? We rarely have atomic reactions. They either break off in chunks, or stay put. The thing they do is pretty much constant, the only regular occurrence is the transfer of electrons.

Let me put it this way. Each level closest to us seems to effect us most. We have organ systems, organs, tissues, cells, molecules, atoms , quarks, and the quantum level. It seems at some point the effects on our biological system cease to exist, no?

Okay, and to dispel the psychotic delusion of the "observer effect" nonsense, here's a link which puts it in really easy terms:

Where the Bleep they're Wrong about Quantum Physics & Reality The quantum world is intriguing, but unless you're a particle physicist it's got very little to do with the world's reality.

The Effect of the Observer: "Quantum physics calculates only possibilities... Who/what chooses among these possibilities to bring the actual event of experience? Consciousness must be involved. The observer can’t be ignored."

Amit Goswami (PhD) in What the Bleep Do We Know? Not exactly, Amit. The observer effect of quantum physics isn't about people or reality. It comes from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, and it's about the limitations of trying to measure the position and momentum of subatomic particles. Gripping stuff, but nothing to do with our daily lives.

Heisenberg basically says you can't get a really accurate fix on both the position and the momentum of a subatomic particle - say an electron - at the same time. You can be accurate in one or the other, but not in both. (It's all to do with photons of light from your measuring instrument hitting the poor electron and knocking it for six). It's actually the machine that's the observer, not the human who's jotting down results.
Link

So this has nothing to do with human beings, or the biological level. It has to do with the limitations of human technology when observing this very, very small level of existence.

These types of thoughts breed narcissism and magical thinking. It erroneously empowers people to think they're special and somehow or another "create their reality". THAT is an absurd notion. Reality is independent of any one of us. It's not perspective which is reality, that's a layman's copout.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Amazing! This be magic! Do you think it's properties are because of its geometry?

Bio computers are on their way, then the ultra interface/matrix/holodeck technology. Then total computation of ideas, dreams and thoughts, then maybe evaporation of our consciousness into some other thing.

I think things on lower and higher magnitudes are just as complicated and intricate as they are on our macro level, imagine all the fineness in print media and art, and music, and the patterns of humans, and even trees and plants resemble the geometry and functions of the inner-space biology of the human organism. It's just like this, our day to day lives, everywhere, total fractal iteration (entanglement) on all scales. like how the filament network of super-galactic dispersion resembles if not mirrors how neuron bundles are arrayed in our brains.

the quantum non-local connection property, to me, basically says that everything is one thing, all parts relying on all parts at all times with any dynamic alteration affecting the whole. More simply there is nothing insignificant, or more important than anything else. From the smallest piece you can determine the properties of the whole thing.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
GUys ignore anything sirnex has to say. Quantum mechanics plays a pivotal role in biological systems. Even photosynthesis uses superposition, a phenomenon once thought to be isolated in the quantum realm. Our sense of smell is also a quantum effect in which our smell receptors uses.

heres some links to read

www.hplusmagazine.com...

discovermagazine.com...

also just type in quantum biology in google. A new field of science some people refuse to acknowledge......

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

These types of thoughts breed narcissism and magical thinking. It erroneously empowers people to think they're special and somehow or another "create their reality". THAT is an absurd notion. Reality is independent of any one of us. It's not perspective which is reality, that's a layman's copout.

It always pleases me to see another member of the human race that is not off his/her rocker. Too many people are caught up thinking the quantum world somehow give's possibility to all these paranormal thing's, like consciousness existing after death and such.

People don't realize that MEDIA sensationalizes the science behind reality and that the science does not reflect what people here from MEDIA. It's rather sad that most people get all their "facts" from MEDIA.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

GUys ignore anything sirnex has to say.

Yes, instead learn your "facts" from MEDIA which uses sensationalized language and imagery.

I is R smarT!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

These types of thoughts breed narcissism and magical thinking. It erroneously empowers people to think they're special and somehow or another "create their reality". THAT is an absurd notion. Reality is independent of any one of us. It's not perspective which is reality.

How do we not create reality, you berate other people for their idiocy yet you can't even understand that we are reality, inseparable from the environment, hell we are the environment because our whole existence is derived from the mind acting on input from the void that science throws explanations into hoping they bounce back. We create a reality merely by breathing, we affect everything all the time.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
reply to post by loner007

GUys ignore anything sirnex has to say.

Yes, instead learn your "facts" from MEDIA which uses sensationalized language and imagery.

I is R smarT!

YOU THICK (no you really are!!!)

Quantum biology seeks to investigate the life sciences in terms of quantum theory. This includes attempts to study biological processes and dynamic molecular structures in terms of quantum mechanics (QM). For example, investigations of dynamic molecular structure and energy transfer at the quantum level have credibility if they explain macroscopic biological observables that otherwise are inexplicable. Quantum biochemistry and quantum studies of photosynthetic processes/photosynthesis have produced significant, verifiable results. In particular the step-wise, quantum release of protons upon photon absorption linked to water `splitting' in photosynthesis requires a quantum theoretical explanation involving complex photosystem II. Furthermore, both experimental and theoretical studies support the involvement of quantum tunnelling mechanisms in enzyme reactions. Fundamental biological processes that involve the conversion of energy into forms that are usable for chemical transformations are quantum mechanical in nature. These processes involve chemical reactions, light absorption, formation of excited electronic states, transfer of excitation energy, and the transfer of electrons and protons (hydrogen ions) in chemical processes such as photosynthesis and cellular respiration. Quantum biology uses mathematical computation to model biological interactions in light of QM effects. The need for a quantum theoretical study of genetic systems has been pointed out by Erwin Schrödinger in 1946, and followed up with a detailed formal approach to Quantum Genetics by Robert Rosen in 1961. An unresolved and still controversial issue in this field is that of non-trivial (i.e. not limited to properties of molecules) role of quantum effects in biological systems. However recent studies of transcription are consistent with quantum information processing of coherent duplex DNA states by the transcriptase .
Some of the biological phenomena that have been studied in terms of quantum processes are the absorbance of frequency-specific radiation (i.e., photosynthesis and vision); the conversion of chemical energy into motion ; magnetoreception in animals and brownian motors in many cellular processes. The field has also been active in researching QM analysis of magnetic fields and bird navigation, and may possibly shed light on Circadian rhythms in many organisms.

www.ks.uiuc.edu...

[edit on 2/7/2010 by loner007]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by depth om

Originally posted by unityemissions

These types of thoughts breed narcissism and magical thinking. It erroneously empowers people to think they're special and somehow or another "create their reality". THAT is an absurd notion. Reality is independent of any one of us. It's not perspective which is reality.

How do we not create reality, you berate other people for their idiocy yet you can't even understand that we are reality, inseparable from the environment, hell we are the environment because our whole existence is derived from the mind acting on input from the void that science throws explanations into hoping they bounce back. We create a reality merely by breathing, we affect everything all the time.

Oh my. You do realize that you've put a whole lot of assumptions out there that are complete asinine now, don't you?

Yep, I'm in agreement that we're part of the cosmos. No denying that. As for the rest
. . . I have no comment

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

That wasnt "an attempt to sensationalize the science of biology by equating it to quantum mechanics. " whatever that means. It was, as I said, A "thought".

I'm sorry, it appeared to me that your thought was an attempt to sensationalize the science of biology be equating it to quantum mechanics, specifically with the analogy of interconnectedness of biological systems being portrayed as possibly somehow similar to an entangled state.

At least that's how I perceived it. If I misunderstood your point then I apologize.

you are wrong, dear sir. Our universe is a highly inter-connected system. Everything effects everything else. the world is built upon, level by level. Quantum>subatomic>atomic>nuclear>molecular>chemical> ect. so to say the quantum level would have no effect on the biological level is rather ludicrous and ignorant at best.

The naivety of that statement just amazes me.

That would be because im not a quantum physicist? Maybe?

Yet, surprisingly it shouldn't amaze me at all... considering...

I never once said anything about mysticism or religion, so i dont see why your bringing up those topics. Im interested in these topics because, 1, their interesting, and 2, these topics will be able to tell us more about the universe.

I said people. I didn't say VonDoomen. Are you a narcissist or is your reading skills a little lacking?

and then you give yourself away by saying

I'm guessing reading skills.

How is "quantum mechanics, entanglement and observer effect paradigms" nonsense?

Read it again, slowly and pay attention to the text in bold.

I personally think people are latching onto the idea of quantum mechanics, entanglement and observer effect paradigms because it gives an air of mysticism to the universe. Such modes of thinking has been utilized by our species since the dawn of religions.

Now read this next part again.

How are these theories not cool?

The theories themselves are fine, it's the misunderstanding of them that leads to improper interpretations that I have a problem with.

as they are a slap in the face to conventional/newtonian thinking.

They are not a slap in the face at all.

Of course, it might appear to be a slap in the face if we're listening to things like what the bleep do we know and other sensationalized media outlets. I'm not saying this is where you hear this stuff, I don't know where you hear it personally. I'm just saying, that's all. Figured I put that out there before you got your panties in a bunch again.

you can bash my OPINIONS all you want

Way to read into my response.

The only thing(s) I had to say about *your* opinions was that it appears to be sensationalizing and that I disagreed with your belief that this would be proven.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join