It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Spill Hits A Somber Record As Gulf's Biggest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

NEW ORLEANS -- BP's massive oil spill became the largest ever in the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday based on the highest of the federal government's estimates, an ominous record that underscores the oil giant's dire need to halt the gusher. The oil that's spewed for two and a half months from a blown-out well a mile under the sea hit the 140.6 million gallon mark, eclipsing the record-setting, 140-million-gallon Ixtoc I spill off Mexico's coast from 1979 to 1980. Even by the lower end of the government's estimates, at least 71.7 million gallons are in the Gulf.

Source

With all the talk going on ATS about this oil spill, I found it VERY interesting to know that a spill of this magnitude has already hit the Gulf. They way people are talking around here, this is going to spell the end of the world as we know. I'm guessing many of you just jumped on the doomsday bandwagon. Hope this eases some of your fears.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The Ixtoc spill is very similar, but some differences. One, it was only 150ft underwater, BP's is a mile. Also, it seems the BP spill is at a faster rate, so depending on when the relief wells are finished, the amount of oil spilled could very well be much bigger than what came from Ixtoc.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by ThreeNF]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeNF

I am very much in agreement that this spill will be larger. But I had absolutely no idea this much oil had already been "spilled" into the Gulf. I have heard no mention of this leak and I am sure there are others. Takes a lot of the wind from the doom and gloom sails in my eyes.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

Some, from here I think it was, posted a video of reporter doing a comparison between the two. I'll see if I can dig it up.

The location of the Ixtoc spill could be a factor as well. Not sure if it was located above a supposed methane bubble or not.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
OK, here is the thread I was thinking about.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeNF

Thank you for the info. Looks like I have a bit of reading ahead of me.

top topics

join