It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA Opposes Kagan, Will Score Senators on Confirmation Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Article

The National Rifle Association announced Thursday it will oppose Senate confirmation of Elena Kagan's nomination to the Supreme Court and plans to score senators' votes in its annual evaluation of their records.

"Unfortunately, Ms. Kagan's record on the Second Amendment gives us no confidence that if confirmed to the Court, she will faithfully defend the fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms of law-abiding Americans," Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's executive vice president and chief operating officer and Chris Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, wrote in a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

As evidence that Kagan has "repeatedly demonstrated a clear hostility" to gun rights, the NRA letter cites a memo Kagan wrote years ago as a law clerk to Justice Thurgood Marshall saying she was "not sympathetic" to a challenge to the District of Columbia's handgun ban, as well as her work on a now-expired assault weapons ban when she was a White House aide to President Bill Clinton.

Last year, the NRA also opposed Sonia Sotomayor's nomination to the high court and scored the confirmation vote.

If she dosent defend the second amendment, Ive pretty much lost all, if any, confidence that she is here to support the American people. We just have to wait and see how this will all turn out.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

She's not here to defend anything except federal power.

That's why she was appointed.

The Supreme Court is a criminal institution that has usurped 10 times the power it was allocated by the Constitution.

The Supreme Court is not, and can not be, the final arbitrator of disputes between states and the federal government simply because the Supreme Court is part of the federal government itself.

For example, if I got into an argument with you over something that required a third party to resolve, would it be proper to have my brother resolve it? Of course not. He's part of my family. He might be fair and judicial, but he would certainly be biased in my favor.

The Supreme Court will always give deference to federal power.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
If she's anything like the last one she needs to be put down ASAP:

"Is it safe to say that you accept the Supreme Court's decision as establishing that the Second Amendment right is an individual right? Is that correct?" Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., asked her. "Yes, sir," Sotomayor replied.

But fast-forward to this week and the McDonald v. Chicago ruling just handed down and we find Sotomayor joining a dissent that says,"I can find nothing in the Second Amendment's text, history or underlying rationale that could warrant characterizing it as 'fundamental' insofar as it seeks to protect the keeping and bearing of arms for private self-defense purposes."

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

"I can find nothing in the Second Amendment's text, history or underlying rationale that could warrant characterizing it as 'fundamental' insofar as it seeks to protect the keeping and bearing of arms for private self-defense purposes."

That's like saying I can't find anything in the equation 2+2 that equals 4.

The outrageousness of her dissent is only topped by the outrageousness of us allowing their criminal behavior to continue.

She should be impeached by the congress for that ruling.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The NRA is engaged in Political Posturing. They Oppose her, but wont do anything to stop her from getting confirmed.

Just last week the NRA received an exemption from the Disclose ACT, which will do away with their competitors.

I'm sure they did some wheeling and dealing to accomplish that.

NRA with all their millions in contributions have only ever repealed 2 gun laws.

According to the link below, the NRA plans to ENDORSE Harry Reid.
www.redstate.com...

If your really sick of the NRA, cancel and join GOA, the only no-compromise gun lobby.

top topics

join