It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winged (Angelic) Symbolism in U.S. Politics

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Has anyone else noticed these peculiar images cropping up in the Mainstream Media?

In the top photo, we see President Barack Hussein Obama gesturing like a mythological god during one of his recent addresses, seemingly releasing birds or angels or dragons or some damned winged creatures from his hands.

In the second photo, we're looking at U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder (who is now being accused of racial favoritism in dismissing a case against the Black Panthers) actually wearing a set of wings.

These are not Photoshopped images — you should understand that there is a contingent of photojournalists out there who watch and position themselves for such novel photo opportunities.

But what is the message of such imagery, do you think? Is it simply for comic relief? Or is it intended to excite the imaginations of those who fancy this administration as divine or demonic?

Obviously, such photos are valued by the MSM, or they wouldn't be so widely distributed. What, then, do you think is the value of juxtaposing public figures with mythological imagery?

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
personally...............i believe in good and evil.......not divine and demonic.......what is divine and demonic?...........do you mean like a god and a devil?...........i dont believe in fictional stories

[edit on 1-7-2010 by JTpirate]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JTpirate
personally...............i believe in good and evil.......not divine and demonic.......what is divine and demonic?...........do you mean like a god and a devil?...........

I mean, like, winged angels or winged demons. What is the purpose of capturing these mere mortals in novel photos with wings sprouting out of their backs or winged creatures escaping from their hands?

Photos such as this aren't merely coincidental. The photographers wait and watch for these opportunities, and the Mainstream Media pays good money for them.

But why?

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Why? Doc, you KNOW they're getting desperate when they are resorting to stupid props like this to help their image. Subliminal yes, but it still works on some people. Not very bright people, but some.
On the other hand maybe this is the photographers snide method of saying they think that Barry and Eric are really fairies

Yeah, poor joke, I know - couldn't resist

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
i think they do this because so many people are religious.......and think jesus is coming back in their lifetime......and they are just crazy and know this stirs up the viewers at home (xtians esp.) who are waiting for the antichrist lol

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
LOL... I know that these novelty photos go in cycles, and they usually appear when the public officials are in trouble politically.

For example, when George W. Bush's job approval ratings were at an all-time low in 2007 and 2008, it was common to see photos of him with peculiar and suggestive backgrounds — perhaps a partially obscured phrase, for example, such as "good-bye" framing his face.

As a former Journalist and photojournalist, I know that these set-up photos are designed to deliver a derogative or at least sarcastic subliminal message to the viewer.

But, as you have observed, these pranks are typically aimed at the politically naive, those with superficial appreciation for the political environment. The dumbasses, in other words.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
i see where you are coming from......kind of like the media sets us up and gets us ready for what is to come/happen......no doubt tv has much subliminal........off topic....but did you see the audi green commercials during the super bowl.....shocking....i thought subliminal moment i saw it......havent seen it since.....and super bowl had record audience i believe.......

[edit on 1-7-2010 by JTpirate]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

These pictures are actually probably accidental, I was trained in photography as well as journalism and you don't sit around waiting for a shot at a press conference, you just shoot and shoot, the more shots you take the better chance that you get a good one.

Since your national animal is an eagle, you're going to get a lot of shots with people lining up with them in the background. You should see the number of badly framed shots that come out of such events I could probably find you a hundred pictures where it looks like a flag is coming out of a leader's head or really awkward facial expressions. The reason these kind of shots with the wings get published is one very simple reason: they look cool, and cool-looking pictures attract sales.

That's really the long and short of it, not really a conspiracy, more just photographers and editors doing what they do.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy
These pictures are actually probably accidental, I was trained in photography as well as journalism and you don't sit around waiting for a shot at a press conference...

I was trained in Journalism and in photojournalism, as well (degreed from Texas State University). I know that professional photographers are not always trained in journalistic ethic, and I know that professional photographers go to great pains to jockey for position at press conferences, purposely positioning themselves for these novelty shots. Most are intended to convey a political message of some sort, as when Hugo Chavez is photographed with Mickey Mouse ears or George Bush is photographed with some sort of embarrassing background.

When it comes to these guys selling their photos for hundreds to thousands of dollars at a whack, there's not much left to chance or accident, particularly when you've got a subject standing on one spot for a half-hour or so.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Doc, you have officially gone off the deep end.

It's obvious you don't like this administration, but this is gone from just a dislike for an administration which is healthy and normal to an obsession and madness.

It's a photograph, not like they meant to do that. Holder was standing in front of one of the symbols of the United States Government, It's an Eagle. Take a picture at the right angle and it would look like that, the POTUS was standing in front of two flags, (another symbol of the United States) on top of those are Eagles as well.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Doc, you have officially gone off the deep end. It's obvious you don't like this administration, but this is gone from just a dislike for an administration which is healthy and normal to an obsession and madness.

I want you to go back to the OP and read it. Then I want you to read each of my posts in this thread. Then I want you to show me where I have said anything mean-spirited or derogatory or even biased against this administration in this thread.

You're going to come up empty-handed.

Now, my personal political opinions may be a tad radical, but I haven't offered any political opinions in this thread... So how in the HELL did you pull that "obsession and madness" statement out of your ass?

Honey, you're seeing things (and maybe hearing things, as well) that don't exist except in your own mind.

Now, who is losing it? Me or you?

—Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

OK,

From the OP:

In the top photo, we see President Barack Hussein Obama gesturing like a mythological god during one of his recent addresses, seemingly releasing birds or angels or dragons or some damned winged creatures from his hands

I mean CMON! Most grade school children know that the bird on top of flags is an EAGLE!

The guy is raising his hands, politicians often use their hands when they speak.

But no, apparently to you he is "gesturing like a mythological god, releasing some damned winged creatures from his hands"

CMON!

[edit on 7/2/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Yes some DAMNED winged creature for sure.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

But no, apparently to you he is "gesturing like a mythological god, releasing some damned winged creatures from his hands"

Look at the composition of the photo. The photo is composed to present this image of Obama releasing these winged things from his hands. That's why the photo was picked up and circulated in the press. It's a novelty photo.

Now, the point of my OP is stated very clearly:

Obviously, such photos are valued by the MSM, or they wouldn't be so widely distributed. What, then, do you think is the value of juxtaposing public figures with mythological imagery?

The title of the thread is "Winged (Angelic) Symbolism in U.S. Politics"...

There's nothing derogatory or biased. That's all going on in your mind.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Of course these shots sell well, they look cool. Hugo Chavez with Mickey Mouse ears looks cool, President W. Bush doing something stupid looks cool. How many shots are there of President Obama looking demonic? Well count the avatars here on ATS and you'd get a good number, those sell well too.

Unless you are trying to insinuate that there is some massive conspiracy within us journalists, you should know far better than this. If you were trained in journalism and photojournalism as you say, then you should know that the thing that drives most of those photographers jockeying for a good angle at press conferences is simply to get a cool shot and make money on it. So if you have a shot of President Obama looking like he's got eagles coming out of his hands (and yes those are just plain old bald eagles not some demonic winged angel) that's a cool shot and someone will buy it. If you have another of him scowling down at the camera that's a cool shot too and someone else will buy that. Either way, the photographer has got his lunch money out of it.

I thing whatukno has got it right on this one mate, you've gone off the deep end Doc. Seriously I'd expect some more objectivity and critical analysis out of someone who's got a degree in journalism, this is day one stuff mate.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

So I suppose the caption of these photos in newspapers and online is "Obama gesturing like a mythical god, releases dragons from his hands!"

So they made that up right? That's the caption the MSM used?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy
I thing whatukno has got it right on this one mate, you've gone off the deep end Doc. Seriously I'd expect some more objectivity and critical analysis out of someone who's got a degree in journalism, this is day one stuff mate.

Gone off the deep end because I'm asking about mythological imagery juxtaposed with political figures?

"Looking cool" is one thing — it's a naive assessment, but it's a possibility. But consider that these two unrelated "angelic" photos are appearing simultaneously in the press. They're both circulating in the press as we speak. And the symbolism is not subliminal, it's blatant.

So, you think it's just "coincidentally cool" that these public figures are being portrayed with winged symbolism at the same time. You don't think there's any political messaging?

Mate, if you're not seeing an attempt at political messaging, then you're not much of a journalist.

So I suppose the caption of these photos in newspapers and online is "Obama gesturing like a mythical god, releases dragons from his hands!" So they made that up right? That's the caption the MSM used?

No, these photos are circulating without captions, to my knowledge. But they're obviously both depicting these public figures with winged symbolism.

My question, my reason for posting this thread, is to ask you people what is the value of this symbolism — this angelic or demonic or mythological symbolism or whatever you want to call it.

Instead of taking the OP at face value, you're attempting to read something into it and turn this into a flame thread. Go ahead, try.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/2/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Gone off the deep end because I'm asking about mythological imagery juxtaposed with political figures?

Yes, because that mythical imagery is all in your mind. The Eagle is the symbol of the United States, and it is in a lot of places in Washington and especially when politicians speak.

Instead of taking the OP at face value, you're attempting to read something into it and turn this into a flame thread. Go ahead, try.

We aren't the ones that have read into these pictures mythology and dragons.

[edit on 7/2/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Yes, because that mythical imagery is all in your mind. The Eagle is the symbol of the United States, and it is in a lot of places in Washington and especially when politicians speak.

So, finally, you're calming down and answering honestly. So, both you guys think this is just "coincidentally cool" photography that carries no messaging, subliminal or otherwise.

Okay, you've answered the question. That didn't hurt, did it?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hell, if you think this is a politically-biased thread, wait until you see my book coming out in the near future. In the book, I hammer Obama's ass mercilessly, page-after-page... Make sure you buy a copy, so you'll know the difference.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/2/2010 by Doc Velocity]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join