It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Assembly approves $20 million for Jaycee Dugard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

California Assembly approves $20 million for Jaycee Dugard

news.blogs.cnn.com

The California Assembly on Thursday passed a bill appropriating $20 million to kidnapping victim Jaycee Dugard to settle her claims against the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, according to the chief clerk's office.

The bill passed on a 30-1 vote in the Senate and a 62-0 vote in the Assembly, according to CNN affiliate KCRA. Corrections officials entered into the settlement with Dugard, the station said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
$20-million, Wow!!! Now, certainly she deserves some sort of compensation. Compensation that one can not put a price tag on. But at the tax payers expense?

Any Californians out there wish to chime in here. Do you think it is fair that the State Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation screws up and you, the tax payer, pays the price?

This poor girl was wronged at every level conceivable, but now the tax payers are being wronged as well. Do 2 wrongs make a right?

news.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Who else is supposed to pay?

The government agencies represent the people of the state, and when they screw up, they pay. This should focus attention on mismanagement/misbehavior and get it rectified. Not that it always works that way, but it is the way it's supposed to work.

I have no problem with it, and I live in California.

"Taxpayers" whine entirely too much and devote too little time and too little energy to being responsible citizens. I usually find that the people who whine about taxes are usually business types who don't want to pay any taxes, but want roads, protection, an educated workfoce, and someone else to pick up the tab.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The cost of 1 bullet in 1976 (When Garrido was charged with his second kidnapping and sexual assault of a child) = less than $1.

The cost of allowing this piece of scum to walk free and destroy the life of another (likely multiple) child = $20 Million.

For the lack of teeth in the judicial system, the tax payers now are on the hook for $19,999,999.00....
Any multiple sexual offender should recieve a mandatory death sentence to be carried out immediately following conviction. Bullet to the head, predator dead. I only wish the judge responsible for letting him free was the one who had to pay the victim this money.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

Who else is supposed to pay?

Apparently you, the tax payer. However, I would like to direct you to a quote from the article:

The settlement process was "pretty much unprecedented," said Jeff Long, spokesman for Assemblyman Felipe Fuentes, who sponsored the bill.

Unprecedented!

I imagine that this type of settlement is just the beginning. Folks will be coming out from under rocks looking for their pay day now. As if California isn't in enough financial trouble as it stands right now.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
LOL! they will probably pay here with worhtless IOU's

While I sympathize for this women and what she went through the idiocy of this is very telling

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

He's an ignorant idiot who doesn't know his history, then: there are lots of precedents. Payouts like these are typical when the government screws up.

Don't you ever pay attention to the results of police abuse cases?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I dont get it.

Some perv kidnaps a kid and all of the people who live there pay the kid money?

Did all the people who live there enable the perv? Did they aid the perv? Did they thwart police efforts to find the perv?

Now every crackhead parent will be trying to get some perv to kidnap their kid so they can make bank load up on some rock and buy an Xbox.

Is this a common sort of practice or just another case of isolated California retardation?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

They enabled the perv to the degree that they continually elected liberal representatives and judges who refused to add teeth to the law, preferring to believe in the falacy of a chonic sex offender being rehabilitatable.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Actually, if you live here you would know that liberals are quite in the minority: for instance, it has taken 15 years for our county supervisors to follow the state law regarding medical marijuana. They've wasted tens of millions fighting it, wasted further tens of millions on police gadgets of extremely dubious value, and generally fight anything that helps low-income people.

Our state government is quite overrun with stupid reactionary conservatives.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I had to make an account just to respond to this post. If this girl gets $20 million she deserves everything that happened to her. This "trash" should not even have got the coverage she did. Innocent people dying in Iraq, Gaza, etc... yet we care about this trash. This trash's only contribution to society will be 2 bastard children from a psychopath, so lets give her $20 million huh? This is what is wrong with the world. We let bureaucracy overcome common sense. This is why our controllers view us as sheep, because we are nothing more than slaves, beast of burden created to work. Filthy animals humans are, and will be slaughtered like filthy animals. Hopefully sooner than later.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by humans_R_slaves
I had to make an account just to respond to this post. If this girl gets $20 million she deserves everything that happened to her. This "trash" should not even have got the coverage she did. Innocent people dying in Iraq, Gaza, etc... yet we care about this trash. This trash's only contribution to society will be 2 bastard children from a psychopath, so lets give her $20 million huh? This is what is wrong with the world. We let bureaucracy overcome common sense. This is why our controllers view us as sheep, because we are nothing more than slaves, beast of burden created to work. Filthy animals humans are, and will be slaughtered like filthy animals. Hopefully sooner than later.
this is the most heartless thing i have read on ATS....this girl deserves every penny and her parents should be allowed to drag the pervert behind a car around there local town until he's dead.....

new topics

top topics

join