It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama tries to put Republicans on immigration hot seat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Obama calls AZ immigration law 'unenforceable'...

Seeking to inject urgency into the push for an overhaul of the nation's immigration laws, President Obama on Thursday called on Republicans to join the effort, telling them he can't pass a bill without them.

After pushing through an economic stimulus bill and health care with barely any Republican support in the first 16 months of his administration, the president said this issue is too dangerous to tackle — for Democrats and the GOP — without having both parties involved.

"I'm ready to move forward, the majority of Democrats are ready to move forward, and I believe the majority of Americans are ready to move forward. But the fact is without bipartisan support, as we had just a few years ago, we cannot solve this problem," Mr. Obama told about 250 immigration-rights advocates in a speech at American University in Washington.

On the hottest flash point in the debate, Arizona's new law targeting illegal immigrants, Mr. Obama said the rules are "unenforceable" for local police. But he didn't give any indication when the administration will file an expected lawsuit seeking to block the new law, which takes effect at the end of this month.

Mr. Obama has already missed his own self-imposed deadline for getting a broad immigration bill passed. During the 2008 presidential campaign he told Hispanic audiences he wanted a bill in his first year.

And his new push is unlikely to bear fruit this year.

Advocates on both sides of the issue say they don't expect Congress to tackle the issue before the elections, both because of the already-crowded legislative schedule and because there is no clear consensus on how to proceed.

Key Republicans say the borders must be secured first before the government considers legalizing illegal immigrants, and they point to recent violent incidents — including the killing of an Arizona rancher — as evidence the border is still not under control.

But Democrats argue that legalizing illegal immigrants has to be done at the same time, both for practical reasons and because they fear if the borders are secured first, it might sap momentum from the push for legalization.

"Our borders are just too vast for us to be able to solve the problem only with fences and border patrols," Mr. Obama said. "It won't work."
MODS: Please move or delete if need be, Thank You.
Source: The Washington Times.com
Source: The Drudge Report.com

[edit on 1-7-2010 by guohua]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Does this surprise any one here, I think we all knew that Obama's whole agenda was to create another class of peoples solely dependent on the Government Dime, Our Dime, Our Taxes

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a770ffd980da.jpg[/atsimg]
Dear Leader wants to give amnesty to all illegals a create one large welfare state. I'm sorry but that's how I see it. Many of our illegals don't want to stay here and work, they want to build up their coffers and return to live off the exchange rate.[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b6ce87b2d49.jpg[/atsimg]
Why pay for it, if you'll receive your benefits for free?

Sorry, Needed To Vent, I worked for 50 years to live my retired years quietly. I can see that's not going to happen

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

It's OK to rant. It's also OK to express your opinion on how you would close the borders with Mexico, what to do with all the illegals that are already here.

I to was retired briefly until the stock mkt crashed and took my retirement with it and forced me back to work.

Going back to work was the best thing that could ever happen to me. You can only drink beer and play golf or go fishing for so long until it become boring.

Trashing Obama without creative suggestions on how to change just sounds like parroting back Rush, Sean and Glen; Crybaby whining, Pretty lame imo.

I have no doubt that the GOP will take back both houses. How will they change things? More taxcuts for the rich? Expanded wars? Welfare for the corporations with our tax money?

[edit on 1-7-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Oh, no....more GOP "talking points" and phrases???

Dear Leader

This is disgusting, and yet another new low for the 'far-right' wing of the loony republican fringes...

I first encountered this insulting term used in reference to the President of the United States whilst reading a tabloid far-right rag that's distributed (for free) here in the Washington, D.C. area and suburbs... the Washington Examiner. (I look through it for a laugh, and a lark sometimes...and it has good crossword, and other puzzles).

Michelle Malkin is a blathering idiot who is billed as an Examiner "columnist" --- BUT she is syndicated (like many of these vile bastions of banality) by some company called Creators Syndicate.

In her "column" today, 1st July 2010, I first encountered that phrase in reference, and a little bile entered my throat...but, like many, she gets HER marching orders from the top, and just goes along, like an obedient little dog.

The fringe right will stoop at nothing, it seems, in their attmepts to denigrate and sabotage --- at every turn.

"Politics as usual" doesn't apply here....when the GOP had the White House, and most of Congress, their shady dealings and unwarranted arm-twisting were apologized for, by others in their party.

When the GOP was in power, opposition leaders usually had too much class to lower themselves to these tactics...and that's a shame. It's time to fight back, and keep the heat on these hypocrites....

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by guohua

Oh, no....more GOP "talking points" and phrases???

Can you see that the OP is from Arizona? Talking points are from those who follow the crowd into believing things without having witnessed the reality themselves.

OP I am in concurrence with what you have stated. You can't have comprehensive reform without taking care of the problem first. The problem is the porous borders and those individuals bent on keeping it that way.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by guohua

It's OK to rant. It's also OK to express your opinion on how you would close the borders with Mexico, what to do with all the illegals that are already here.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by whaaa]

Yes. what to do with all the illegals already here until you can give them the right to vote - for democrats?

Of course, some are already doing that.

Logically, that can be the ONLY reason democrats are opposing enforcing the AZ law, which is almost a copy of the federal law. The dems know they'll need the votes in 2012. The way you can know this is that no dem will ever give you a straight answer on why illegals shouldn't be deported when they are found.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
When the GOP was in power, opposition leaders usually had too much class to lower themselves to these tactics...and that's a shame. It's time to fight back, and keep the heat on these hypocrites....

YOU have got to be kidding with this statement. No one could be that naive.

Today, Biden said Republicans would use nazi tactics in the November election. And just the other day he told someone that said he wanted his taxes lowered not to be a "smartass". There's some real class - by the VP! - not.

Of course you were specifically talking about how dems acted when the Republicans were in power. For the answer to that, I'll simply refer you to most of the posts here on ATS during Bush's last several years, plus the public statements of dem leaders and supporters. Oh and making fun of Palin's disabled child because you didn't like Palin was another great example of dem's "class".

You really can't be that much of a fool or sycophant to say that dems had (or have) any "class" when it comes to politics ...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
Obama calls AZ immigration law 'unenforceable'...

Illegals are moving out of Arizona by the thousands, it seems that this law is already enforcing itself.

I might be hoping for a lot but I hope the people of Arizona show a big "Yes we can" along with a big middle finger to the federal government.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I have no doubt that the GOP will take back both houses. How will they change things? More taxcuts for the rich? Expanded wars? Welfare for the corporations with our tax money?

Isn't that what is happening right now? Well except for tax-cuts, it seems a dem will go into spontaneous combustion if they utter the phrase "tax-cut". But don't worry they have a way around it, they will just tax everyone via 20,000 page bills and siphon the money to wealthy liberals like Soros and Gore.

But rest assured, when (if) the GOP retake Congress, they will start pandering to the illegal immigrant crowd once again.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
But Democrats argue that legalizing illegal immigrants has to be done at the same time, both for practical reasons and because they fear if the borders are secured first, it might sap momentum from the push for legalization.

"Our borders are just too vast for us to be able to solve the problem only with fences and border patrols," Mr. Obama said. "It won't work."

Seeing this sort of drivel really pisses me off.

US-Mexico Border: 1969 miles
The Great Wall of China: 5500 miles

Now, if they can do that 2000 years ago, don't tell me that the nation that made the bomb, the panama canal, and the hoover damn, can't build an effective wall.

His statement is not an underestimation of the American people, but a complete cop out to allow the illegals to continue to pour in.

You want to talk about a government project to create jobs and stimulate the economy, you have your answer.

Of course the Dems are afraid of doing border security first. When it is effective, they are proven wrong (again) and lose out on potential voters (legal and illegal).

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
OK I'm Back

I want to say thanks to my friends for saying what needed to be said in this thread.
THANK YOU

Now about Bashing Obama, Come On, That's so easy. He's a Dunce or a complete idiot. I guess he's both.
He has only one idea between his big ears, get more welfare voters for the Democrats. Get these people Amnesty and on Welfare, Don't worry, the middle class is still taxable. We haven't taken grandmas or grandpas teeth yet.

Obama is suppose to be smart
but he's going to give Amnesty to people that don't want to pay taxes, don't want to stay in America, don't want to assimilate and or learn our language.

The peoples from south of the boarder, send most of their monies to their home Country and leave to live off the exchange rate.

We know why he's doing it, Voters, Acorn is getting worn out, used all the dead people grave stones this last time around. He needs new blood.

I almost forgot: (must be age) Creative Suggestions, I know Obama has none. Except AMNESTY.
My creative suggestions are as follows, When an illegal is discovered, that illegal and family is sent back to the Country they came in from, Anchor Babies, They go to, I know, I know It's not their fault. Your right, it's the parents fault and the child can reapply at 18 to reenter if they have kept a clean record. With a clean back ground they go to the top of the list, first inline.

Another creative suggestion, how about Obama letting the states manage the boarders with the help of their Nation Guards Women and Men and the Boarder Patrol. I believe that deadly force should be used when drug cartels are encountered.

Obama ( Dear Leader ) could not think of this things, why, we'd lose his voting base.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Someone in Washington really should be talking about the number of jobs that could be created (at least temporarily) in the construction of a 1969 mile border fence. Perhaps that alone could swing some public pressure into making it happen.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I don't really think that the democrats are acting out of sincere concern for the welfare of the illegal immigrants. The polls show that a majority of Americans are in favor of the Arizona law and containing our borders. Why would the democrats support something that is so overwhelmingly unpopular that would end up hurting their party? I think their motives are far sinister than gaining votes. Could it be that they will have to serve in the military in order to gain amnesty? With the Israel/Iran War an inevitability, wouldn't this be a logical explanation? U.S. is going bankrupt and in order to prop this country up for a few more years, a war is usually our politicians answer to our struggling economy. Do you actually think the democrats give a damn about the illegal immigrants?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Erica1631

I'm pretty sure the Democrats just want to keep the Brown Man Down.

Depending on them for all their needs. That's what Democrat do.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erica1631
Do you actually think the democrats give a damn about the illegal immigrants?

To answer your question honestly, No. They do realize that the the migrant workers that pick our food and do many other jobs that Americans will not do, have a hand literally in the way us Americans live our lives though and although they don't necessarily care about these "Illegal Aliens" they do understand without them in our country our quality of life would be altered.

new topics

top topics

join